1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07' GSXR600 Cylinder Head Service

Discussion in 'Tech' started by michael_chicago, Feb 17, 2019.

1. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

I recently picked up this bike and am it using it for the occasional F40 race and trackdays. Some of you were extremely helpful last month in aiding me to troubleshoot the source of a few metal shavings in the oil (tranny dogs). I'm onto a new project and was hoping you might share some wisdom from your experience.

I have read on a few threads here that this bike is prone to suffering valve train failures that often result from the spring retainers breaking. This thread, in particular, was insightful: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/when-should-you-replace-08-gsxr-suzuki-valves.275868/

With all this in mind, I bought a spare complete cylinder head and was planning to rebuild it with APE titanium retainers and Yosh keepers. For cost reasons, I obviously don't want to replace the valves if I don't have to, so would inspect and measure everything and keep what appears to be in spec (valves and springs).

However, I am planning on having the bike properly tuned by a fellow who also builds engines. In speaking to him, he advised me NOT to use the Yoshimura collets with the used valves because the original keepers have likely "worn into" the valves.

So, specifically, I'm basically looking for a second opinion on whether to install the new keepers on the old valves, and more generically, am I on the right track with what I'm trying to do? Am I overthinking all this?

The bike has 12,500 miles with a fairly unknown track history. Compression is 180-185 across all cylinders and valve clearances were in spec.

As always, I appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

If it aint broke dont fix it.

mike-guy and Steeltoe like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

F40 is a superbike class right? Then why not build an appropriate cylinder head thats legal?

4. michael_chicago

Formula 40 supersport in another race org.

5. michael_chicago

I was mistaken; you are correct. F40 is Superbike. Really, I am just trying to maintain the motor properly and avert a major failure. The goal is reliability. The budget is not unlimited

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so the head you got has 12,000 miles?
    Thats ALOT of miles on titanium valves and all the components. Springs need to be changed at least every season.

I did a rebuild of a stock R6 head and it was $2300 all in when you add gaskets and new seats. All new components sourced as cheap as possible. Yes I have a small collection of "usable" ti valves which are pretty much worthless to sell. I would not put them back in an engine thats going to be singing at redline.

Schwiz likes this.
  7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Change the valves.

If you go to aftermarket retainers polish the tops of the springs on a wet rock before installing them. They are prone to wearing if you don’t.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Replace everything, springs, valves, retainers, cotters. Have a quality valve job done. Or cheap out and wait for something to break and ruin your weekend and the engine.

TurboBlew and turner38 like this.
  9. michael_chicago

Thank you gentlemen. That's what I was looking for, advice from seasoned experts. New valves, springs etc. it is.

10. michael_chicago

I've never heard of "polishing with a wet rock?" What is that?

11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

A wet rock is what is used to sharpen knives.
    Smoothing the tops of the springs greatly reduses the wear on Titanium retainers. Especially aftermarket ones. Seems like they have bigger issues with it than the OEM stuff.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I didn't know this and had a 250 Moriwaki drop a valve on the 5th race weekend with a newly rebuilt head. I went to oem retainers after that.

13. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

This is ridiculously spot on (I just went through this).

I wouldn't put in the Yosh collets. I'd replace everything with OEM and get all new valves, springs, seats etc and give the motor a proper valve job. You don't need to do a major port and polish ($$$) or anything like that. Keep it simple. Establish a relationship with a local dealership and use them to buy the parts. Who knows, they may cut you a deal. I've found that working with a dealership has been far more rewarding (for the both of us), than just simply turning to Amazon every time you need something. The dealership I've been working with actually saved me hundreds on my rebuild, as opposed to buying online.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Dealerships are full of guys who have no idea about valve jobs. Don't do it.

turner38 likes this.
  15. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I meant strictly for parts. I wouldn't let anyone at a dealership service anything of mine. Parts only.

16. Ya nothing like getting your bike back to the pits, starting it up to see what that noise was and a piece of valve comes shooting out.