1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Basic Income

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Feb 13, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I haven't heard the podcast so I cannot comment on that part, but do you honestly believe that truckers are doing that because they want to. For probably 90% of them, if ANYTHING they were qualified for paid as well they'd be doing that instead.

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Exactly. You want something......get off your ass and work for it.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I agree, which is kind of my point. I don't think most of them want to be rescued by the glorious benevolent government.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Accepting everything you said I have one question. What system improves those peoples circumstances more than a free society without penalizing society as a whole?

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I just drive.

JBraun likes this.
  6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What oversight are you in agreement with?

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Those regulations that enhance the free market competition, for one.

8. SuddenBraking

Right.

I'm curious specifically what you and others think those are.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

All you really need is someone to keep basic laws in check: don’t steal, kill, etc. All the regulations and various intricacies are for is to provide loopholes for the big guys to out-lawyer the little guys and get away with whatever they want.

10. Motofun352

The Sherman act from about 100 years ago. The basis for anti-trust law in the US. Monopolies, cartels, etc are anti-competition and the reason why mergers of large companies are scrutinized. It will be interesting to see how tech companies like Google and Amazon continue as they try to get even more sway in the market place.

11. SuddenBraking

So no laws to stop or limit monopolies or company size? No government regulation and oversight of banks via the FDIC? No EPA to stop polluting? No predatory pricing and anti-competition limits?

That sounds like an interesting world. Not saying I agree or disagree, just that it'd be a fairly substantial shift from where we're currently at.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I will give you rule #2
    Government is a necessary evil it is necessary so have the best possible but never forget it is evil so have as little as possible.

In general apply that. However here are some good examples. Power plant emission regulations are fine (refer to rule #2 on how strict) but not by telling operators HOW to achieve the goal. Regulating light bulbs is fucked up. Many auto regulations are into the design and implementation area. Etc.

So licensing etc. to some degree is legal but currently the government is starting to pick winners and losers more and more. That is not oversight. Of course busting a monopoly could be called choosing a loser :crackup: but I am actually OK with monopoly laws and think we need some applied to say Amazon now.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

hindsight is 20/20 but Sears had a pretty good "lock" on secured credit with their charge card. They used to have frequent promos for card holders and gave out the cards to anyone with a pulse. The down side was their "limited" inventory but for the most part their customers didnt care. I worked with people that owed Sears thousands of dollars in consumer debt & they werent the least bit worried or concerned about the APR. Just kept making that monthly payment. Regular payments guaranteed the credit limit increase & encouraged folks to spend more. Lowes & Home Depot took the appliance market away from them and didnt even need to offer "credit" incentives to do so.

14. Motofun352

^^^ What? Every time I go into Lowes they try to get me to sign up for their CC by offering a $50 "bonus". Fools that make their minimum payment are making their own decisions, that's on them. It's the same way with every credit card. I don't fault companies from trying to take a fools' money...nobody is holding a gun to their head and there are many options to choose from. When there is a monopoly the company has total pricing power so that's where the trouble begins.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Well, ultimately those things all result in killing or stealing, so technically, no.

16. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

While I understand immigrants and even some illegals pay taxes.
    But I'm tired of us paying for people that don't deserve any of it!

Build The Wall! Enforce the current laws, It will help

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

19. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

US Population: 325 million x 1000 a month = 3,900,000,000,000 per year

How will we pay for it:
    Current spending (welfare etc): $600,000,000,000 (600 billion)
    VAT: $800,000,000,000 (800 billion)
    And then his "estimates"
    New Revenue : $600,000,000,000 (600 billion)
    People taking better care of themselves (yeah right): $200,000,000,000 (200 billion)
    Total: 2.2 trillion.
    Net: -1.7 trillion dollars.

Yeah, I'm gonna vote for this guy

GixxerBlade likes this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And that's the problem...when they do fuck up monumentally and are in risk of failure because they handle "government" contracts we will get the sold the bill of goods that they need to be bailed out because it would be inconvenient for government.