1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum wage and tipping

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Rob P, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I was a server for several years during college and after in my young married life. Good nights and bad nights were part of the deal. You knew it going in and I never remember hearing anyone complain about that. You usually made well over minimum wage. If someone got paid minimum wage PLUS tips, they'd be living quite nicely.

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Here in my town they are always PACKED. But I'll be damned if they don't get me ordered and served in 5 mins or less with 20+ cars in front of me. It's always kids taking orders with older adults being managers. They always are pleasant and well trained. They've got the fast food market extremely well managed and setup. Anywhere else I go is noticeably below their standard. IDK how C-f-a does it honestly. I did the fast food deal when I was a teenager, and it sucked.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

EXACTLY. There are currently MORE job openings than there are people on the unemployment roll. There is NOTHING keeping any of these people from bettering themselves and getting a higher paying job. What, you don't want to quit smoking weed? Too fucking bad, the job with the drug test pays twice what you're making washing dishes. What, you don't want to have to be at work at 7am? Too fucking bad, the day time job has full benefits. What, your a single parent with kids who are in school? Figure it out, there are lots of second and third shift jobs that could work around your schedule, and imagine this, if you'd stayed with your mate you'd have TWO parents to look after the crotch fruit.

Marid2apterbilt and R1Racer99 like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Decent to good servers always made more out front than I did in the back cooking - even though me doing my job well was a huge part of that. Was it unfair? Slightly. Did I bitch? Hell no, that's the game. I could make more by doing that job but then I'd have to deal with the asshole customers. I did like bartending tho. Couldn't tolerate being a server.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The way they do it is they are very particular on who they sell a franchise to. The people working there are treated decent and have a guaranteed Sunday off. They incorporate their faith into the restaurant (and not just as a marketing ploy). There are haters and deniers out there but results show.

6. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I agree, and in my experience back of the house people bitch very little compared to the divas up front who are making 2-3x as much money. I think this issue is more SJW's trying to stick up for the little guy than the workers themselves calling for it. The guys in back are good people and hard workers, but they're back there by choice and they're not ones complaining about equal pay.

As for Chick-Fil-A, we just got them up here in the last couple years, but I'm amazed every time I go there. I've never seen such happy and friendly people, I don't know if that's trained into them or what but it's weird how nice they are.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They put happy gas in the work areas...

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

9. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Funny and sad. As a former server (already stated here) not a damn one of us ever wanted to go to an hourly wage!!! This is just more SJW bs. It can't be coming from the servers themselves. I started as a busboy then moved up to a host. Both of those were minimum wage plus tip share. My goal was still to finally become a server once old enough to serve alcohol. Why? Because even at 2 bucks an hour I made a damn lot more money! And that was when outback served decent steaks and they cost half of what they do now. Oh, and not a damn one of the females gave a shit about being oggled or lightly "grabbed". The hot ones dressed to show if off and BEGGED (read often gave money) the hosts for the group of businessmen to be seated in their section. Those are the ones that got drunk, oggled and grabbed, but got paid crazy ass good tips. I honestly can't remember a single woman ever complaining about it and I did it for around 4 years.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Funny, but bullshit. I'm tired of hearing talking points about sexism and slavery tied to tipping, if tipping started in the 1800's because of slavery, that sucked, but it has nothing to do with people like me who earn a middle class income now.

I make $9.82 per hour because the state government mandates it, if it were $0 I would still make a decent living. These idiots are acting like people who make $2.13 per hour are actually making $2.13 per hour. It doesn't matter that in reality they could be making $20-50 per hour or more and that without tips they'd make half that. I get not liking the tipping system, but these assholes need to stop acting like they're doing tipped workers a favor by trying to get rid of it.

Clay likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only servers I ever heard complain were the ones who didn't flirt AND were ugly. Those complaints were never about how they got ogled or touched and all about how low their tips were. Usually blaming the host(ess) for bad seating or the cooks or the like, never themselves for having no personality. Ugly peeps can easily make good money with personality. Gorgeous peeps can't always make good money if they're douchebags. FWIW - none of this has anything to do with the sex of the server either although women patrons are way worse to a hot guy than men are to hot girls.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

As a hot guy, I totally agree.

MachineR1 likes this.
  13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't you hate it when they get handsy with you?

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It is so demeaning when they dress you with their eyes. I mean seriously, isn't the server's uniform enough?

15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

What's funny is I had a cougar, well swinger, WITH her husband hitting on me once. I was just married and could never even fathom the idea. I honestly didn't get what she was doing and hinting at until a good 10 years later.

16. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Another funny is I found that the hot ones that were douches STILL got good tips. As a guy, I was dumbfounded by it. I worked my ass off to be near damn perfect for my customers, yet my tips never got better. I remember my friend's GF was purposely bitchy to some customers once to prove it to me. I still remember sitting down with them closing one night and her telling me to watch her the next night. Yup, she still got a good tip.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That's just one of life's unfair realities; pretty people have the skids greased for them.