1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So the GOAT* turns 40 this week

Discussion in 'General' started by tzrider, Feb 12, 2019.

1. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

* - Still being hotly debated, stay tuned.

I've been watching MotoGP for a while but not long enough to have seen him race 125s or even 250s.

Catching GP races was pretty difficult at that point in my neck of the woods.

Still, for those who have, it must be hard to take; 'That amusing twerpy Kid' is now fucking 40!...

:mad:

[Insert expletive laden lawn expulsion order here]

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What are you trying to say now, Unabomber? :D

3. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Funny, Ricky Carmichael doesn't turn 40 until November 27th.

12 championships, 2 perfect seasons.

mike-guy, renegade17 and TLR67 like this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

All joking aside, I liken the whole Rossi/age/retirement thing to the Dale Sr. situation, with their fans struggling to realize the changing of the guard has already taken place. And while they may check off the occasional win, an entire championship season is highly unlikely.

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I agree that he's past his prime but I still love to watch him ride, and he's pretty straightforward when it comes to his thoughts and words.

Last year I got him to sign one of my helmets at COTA, figured he might not be around much longer on the sharp end of the stick (he's got too much going on outside of his actual racing for him to not be at the tracks around the world (Yamaha and VR46). He even got a VR46 t-shirt and signed it for my daughter. I won't let her wear it. lol.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So legitimately, are you for or against him being out there?

7. eggfooyoung

For, for sure. He's good for the series, he's fun to listen to, he's fun to watch and I think he'll win a race or two this year since Yamaha seem to have closed the gap. He still has speed and deserves to be there. But he's 40, going up against 2 of only 3 guys to win championships in the last 10 year's, who both happen to be on the best bike. He also has a teammate who, if he could figure out how to launch, would win a bunch of races too.

8. eggfooyoung

I don't dislike him. Tho, I do think he acts like a baby at times.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ricky and Val discussed on the same thread?
    PLEAZZZE no

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I've got Jeff Ward over Ricky any day of the week

mike574 and stk0308 like this.
  11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

12. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

The real GOAT rised up the GP ranks properly. The next GOAT got all kinds of shortcuts the the best bike and able to get on it at a younger age, without tire manufacturer wars, etc.. Plus the kid is young and just found out he is mortal with his shoulder surgery. Let him land on that 4 or 5 times this season and see how he holds up. Is the guard changing, I dont think anyone will argue that, but its WAAYY to early to mention GOAT. Also take into consideration he is a complete douche! Haha. Lets see if the little bumper car lasts into his mid 30's or better yet competitive at 40!

sill'r B sill'd likes this.
  13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

They pretty much all act like bitches sometimes.

Not sure if I agree that Yamaha has closed the gap at all. I don't put much weight on winter testing. If anything, I suspect the others are increasing the gap.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Still couldn't do what JMB did :D

To this day no other rider (can't really do it now anyway) was able to pull off the trifecta in a single season.

Jeff McKinney and mike574 like this.
  15. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

[​IMG]

:D

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You contradicted yourself.... there were multiple times where Rossi was on the best bike getting the special tires from the tire wars.

Lol I’d you wanna get technical and all... Rossi was the one who benefitted the tire wars.

Let’s not forget that when he cried to get the stones, Lorenzo kept his tires and still put a spanking on him numerous times....

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

He won’t have to, since he will have more than 9 championships before that time. :p

18. This is absolutely false.

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I got turned on to MotoGP the season that Rossi jumped ship to Yamaha in 2002. Been hooked ever since.

While he does have some missteps and can be a bit of a prima donna (as can the vast majority of top-tier racers), there is no denying what he's done for the sport at large.

However, MotoGP will be just fine without him........when that time comes.

20. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

FIFY :D