1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hornet found

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

2. Thought you were taking about the Brown Hornet. He’s found - guilty - and in jail :) and this is way cooler.

3. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

May they Rest In Peace.

That was the turning point in the war with Japan.

4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Much respect to the WWII sailors in the Pacific theatre. There were some truly heroic battles fought. Not only did they have to contend with kamikazes and Japanese subs, if their ship did go down and they got picked up by the Japanese, their hell was just beginning.

Fencer likes this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Now that they know where it is how are they going to protect it from the Chinese ship scrappers? Pretty damn deep but they have torn up ships much deeper.

6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

LOL, the first thing that popped into my head was "Who cares if they found an AMC Hornet?". Yes, saw that the carrier was found yesterday while browsing the web.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

They said they are going to keep the location secret....

8. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I thought it was more than three miles down. Wow, I'm surprised it would be economically feasible to salvage something that deep.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Salvage is really not the right term for what they do. They scrap it for the steel any way they can.

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ya, well,.....it's still 3 miles down. It seems like it would be pretty expensive to chop it up and raise the pieces and still make a profit. I dunno....

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, but they've done some crazy shit before.

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Thats VERY cool!.....Bravo to the crew who found it, and RIP to those buried with it.

Bad-arse sailors back then.

I served on CV-43, commissioned in 1944 (?).....It was the next generation from the Hornet (larger), but I could not fathom sitting in a gun turret with all that shit happening.....I'd have probably done it, but having some time to think about it....no thanx!

Those guys and that ship kicked ass!

Pretty cool about the $40!!!!:beer::flag:

13. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Coral Sea was Midway-class I believe. Ship was in service until 1990!

14. CharlieY

Yeah man, yes Midway class.....I made its last Med in 1987-88!

15. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

What kind of shape was she in by then? Can't imagine 45 years of commission is easy on a ship.

16. CharlieY

VERY rough, but it did what it had to do.....we lost a boiler room to flooding on the way back across the Atlantic.
    We never lost any Catapults, or held up any missions. I still remember crossing Kadaphis "Line of Death" in the gulf of Sidra.....we made T-Shirts. :rock:

I got shot off the deck, twice......in a COD, but still very cool.

I was actually stationed on a Tender (USS Sierra AD18), and got loaned out TDY, twice.....My Repair officer had the idea to split it up, knowing about the shots and return trips....he was a great leader.:flag:

In all, CV43 was a great ship....but honestly, ships like the USS Hornet were FAR saltier than us or our ship! Those WW2 carriers were AMAZING.:beer: I put beers cuz thats what those guys would have wanted!!!!

Fencer and kangasj like this.
  17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Midway held up great for all the service she saw. Go on her today, she still looks good.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I remember touring the USS Shangri-la in Jacksonville in the mid 1960s. Seemed huge to a 10 year old. I think that one was scrapped in the 1980s

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I did the Midway tour when I was in SD last September, it was pretty cool.

20. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

My father’s oldest brother died on the USS Hornet. Nice to know where he’s resting with his fellow sailors

L8RSK8R, Fencer and Triple X like this.