1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Contract App Based Home Security w/Water, Temp monitoring?

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Feb 12, 2019.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Most of you have small businesses or homes that probably went to a system for monitoring. I am looking for a wireless, no contract home security system to monitor just a door and a couple of windows shielded from the road that would grant easiest access, to also include water sensors in case of sump pump failure or hot water heater puking, and if there is a furnace failure resulting in low temps.

My research to date has the Notion All in One Smart Home Monitoring System and Simply Safe. I was checking if there is anything else out there that you would recommend., or if you have had experience with either and would recommend or not recommend either of those two.

Thanks in advance.

2. Simplisafe, has it in my old house and actually left it there for them as my new house has a pretty fancy security system built in (that they paid A LOT of $ for). I had exactly what you are looking for and worked for what I needed it to do.

Phl218 and DrA5 like this.
  3. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I use surety, no contract, monthly $ based on options or services you select.

You buy the system and components and You install and service.

Monitoring app is thru alarm.com

https://suretyhome.com/

There are components to meet all your request depending on what system you install.

There are z wave sensors for monitoring water, humidity, sump.
    Z wave connected thermostast
    Simon Xt or Simon XTI with a cellular link will include zwave functionality

Lots of options out there

DrA5 likes this.
  4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Blink cameras report temp for what it's worth but that won't help with water

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

6. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Arlo has a new alarm kit with sensors for water, temp, motion, etc. I have the cameras and I'm quite happy with them. No idea what pricing will be on this new system or if there will be required monitoring fees, but it might be worth checking into.
    https://www.arlo.com/CES2019/arlo-security-system

DrA5 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Simplisafe

DrA5 likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Ring has a security system $10/month. Yesterday they had a sale on the 5 piece security system with free echo. $159

I don't have a contract, but I use a mix of sensors and cameras with a SmartThings hub and alerted on my phone as needed. I can then decide what to do myself.

Sent from my smatrfone

9. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have and like simplisafe at my cabin. Going to add some cameras next trip.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have some blink cameras too, not knowing that simplisafe offered them now as well.

They have about a 15s lag between ocurrence and notification, if that’s relevant.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

I also use Wyze cameras since they are cheap. For home use, and $20-25 each they are cool and easy to use.

I wouldn't rely on them for a location that I wouldn't be at though. They sometimes need to be power cycled.

Wyze Cameras

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't hijacking your thread DrA5, but is there a product someone can recommend to simply monitor water meters? I lay awake at night worried about a considerable water leak in an investment property going unnoticed only to find out afterwards with inches of water in the Basement and a buku water bill.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  13. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Is the property occupied? If not, just shut off the main.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

does it have internet? if so, get a smartthings setup.
    SmartThings Hub
    Water Sensor

rabbit73 and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Water sensors are pretty common but looking directly at water flow is different. I agree if house is empty turn off main. If house is occupied you won’t know if it’s a leak or several loads of laundry.

16. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

2 of the 3 units are occupied, all are heated. That SmartThings Hub w/ Water Sensor may be just the piece of mind I'm searching for. I called the city to see what they recommend and they couldn't think of anything to serve this function. :Poke:

BigBird likes this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You can even incorporate a wireless valve that will automatically shutoff the water supply when it senses the leak.

18. "buku??" WTF is a "buku?"

19. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Not at all. In my area, the last break-in crime was probably in 1930. Since we moved here, the police blotter has one citation a month, usually for not wearing a seatbelt. Mainly, I wanted something for the same reason you stated. Water leaks. We have a finished basement and I just dread the expense if we ever have a pipe break. Living in the frozen tundra, I thought a temp sensor would help also as a forewarning to pipes possibly freezing and breaking.

20. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

I know now to pay more attention, but we moved to a house with well water (my first time being off a city connection) and at some point the pipe developed a hole just above the in-ground pump. Before we figured it out, I think we ended up spending $500-$700 on electricity for the pump to sit and run 24/7 circulating our well water. For about 2 months there was no visible symptoms while using the water as normal in the house.

I would LOVE some sort of meter or sensor to alert me if or when this happens again. As it is now, once a month I go down and turn off the main and flip the pump breaker and see if the pressure tank holds. And cross my fingers...The well guys are NOT cheap to hire.