1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock 100 rules: Where to pre-tech & is running bone-stock sufficient?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by DmanSlam, Feb 10, 2019.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Hey all:

I just bought two bikes this weekend: a 2006 CRF100F and a 2007 TTR125LE. Got them for less than half the price of a typical 600cc track bike. With race fees being so cheap and anticipated long-lasting, tire longevity, I'm fully-funded for the entire racing season!

I have two questions after looking at the United Mini-Moto and Minigp rules.

1) For my first time out, my thinking is to ensure the bike is in working order, leave it bone stock and add street tires. Then see what happens. Would just putting on street tires be sufficient to race "in the pack"?

2) Is there somewhere or some way ensure the bike passes tech inspection before the day of racing? The rules are simple enough to understand, but I'm probably not prepared to do too many repairs while at the track. Translation: my day is probably done if any unplanned events occur. :)

A third question that I'd add is:

3) Is there anything that someone would suggest is a MUST for either of these bikes to make racing them more bearable (i.e., not competitive, but just less of a pain) to ride? I liked someone's comment (elsewhere) about a using "a clutch-cable adjuster from a full-sized bike on the XR brake lever. It not only makes it quicker and easier to tighten up the cable throughout the race day, but the aftermarket adjuster has a longer threaded area, so you actually get MORE adjustment out of it before you have to move the (shoe) lever up a tooth."

Thanks!

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I have no experience with the Honder, but on the TTR125 you'll want to upgrade the springs and get yourself some bar risers. The stock springs are too soft for adults. The bar risers are to facilitate raising the forks in the triples. I'd start with raising them an inch above the top triple. They don't like to turn with them flush. The LE like you have has the preload adjusters on top that hit the bottom of the bars without the risers.
    Not sure where you are located. Service Pavilion in New Holland, PA (just above Lancaster) is the authority on those TTR miniGP bikes. He does fork mods very reasonable and can get you the correct spring rate for the rear. He is very knowledgeable and extremely reasonable in regards to cost. He also is the director of the Sandy Hook track and can get your bikes tech ready. Basically the only things required for tech is a safety wired oil drain and fill plugs and a catch bottle for all the drain hoses.
    For tires, you'll likely want Bridgestone BT45s. He sells those also at the same price as the mail order places.
    He knows/builds the Hondas too, but he's a Yamaha guy at heart.
    He can ship you the parts if you're not close or want to build yourself. I suggest pulling the forks and sending to him.
    Robert Miller
    Service Pavilion
    717-354-3434

ricracer16 likes this.
  3. ricracer16

ricracer16 Well-Known Member

What Spang308 said. I have had Robert built two TTR125's for me in the last 5 years. First bike was excellent, then sold it due to money being tight one year and then 1.5 + had another one built this time an LE. The bike is bulletproof. The same day I picked it up at the track, I crashed it twice. Picked it up, pushed the start button and Braaappppp!

4. DmanSlam

Thanks guys. That's good intel for me. I'm in Maryland and can definitely do the drive to New Holland. My TTR is a little clapped out (compared to the honda) and didn't have a battery in it. So does my e-start work? Will see about that. But it ran fine once I kick it over.

5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Most guys remove the starter from the LE models anyway to save weight. I wouldn't sweat that. Once jetted correctly, they start with one kick.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What he said regarding the battery.

Also a +1 for the service pavilion.

7. DmanSlam

I was thinking that the weight savings wasn't a bad thing. I'll strike the battery replacement off my list for now.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'd sooner remove the kick start lever and it's bits than the electric start. That easy button saved me more times than I can remember. Hot, tired, dumped AGAIN in the dirt and just hit the button as you're picking the bike up and skip the lever just GO while your XR100 friends are debating calling it quits rather than kick.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the point of minis is fun and practice... please dont take it serious...lol
    I would keep a spare throttle tube for the TTR since its unique.
    Move the kill switches inboard like near the bar clamps so you dont accidently hit them.
    DONT SUPERBIKE THEM... just ride it as stock as possible.
    It gets annoying when you battle with similar skilled folks then 2 wks later they find a bunch of speed because they
    were shopping on J parts. :rolleyes: