1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is with white folks and blackface?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, because it's not blackface. You being purposefully dense? Pretty sure those I listed in what you quoted aren't black... There is a huge difference between blackface and making yourself up to look like a different race for a costume or skit or movie or whatever.

Steeltoe likes this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That belief will get you fired from NBC.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good thing I work for someone with intelligence :D

brex likes this.
  4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It really goes to show how good people have it in the US when a topic like this can gain as much traction as it has. There must not be anything else to bitch about. Who the fuck cares if someone dressed up in blackface 20 or 30 years ago. This is just politicians trying to play divide and conquer and based on alot of the comments people are falling for it...

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thing is, from what I've seen the two styles of skin darkening/painting are being interchanged by both sides of the argument.

Mongo, you do realize that much of those people who you clarified as NOT being in blackface have also been dragged through the mud and bordered on being racist....right?

I think the point many here are making is the complaints and accusations are one-sided and unfair.

G 97 likes this.
  6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Nope. Not being dense. Being definitive.

It’s not right regardless.

People have done it in the past. It wasn’t smart but I’m not going to condemn them forever. It omits the idea that people can’t evolve and change and grow.

We’ve now established through public discourse that it isn’t acceptable, so let’s establish that it’s offensive both ways. That establishes mutual respect. It ends the argument once and for all.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They are, doesn't make it right.

No, they're trying to make it as if only blacks aren't being gone after when it's not true. No one freaked over Fallon or some of the others.

Yes, some of those not in blackface have been drug through the mud, that is moronic.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Correct.

An accurate example of African Americans doing the equivalent of blackface would be the play Day of Absence by Douglas Turner Ward. And believe me when I say white people don't like it very much lol.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You would know.

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah but they did it 30 years ago as part of a joke or costume or whatever. The entire notion that it’s somehow evil and racist is predicated on the fact that they made racist shows 150 years ago and wore blackface. Now people are supposed to apologize for shit that happened 30 years ago that wasn’t considered offensive until 6 months ago.

crashman likes this.
  11. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Northam was either black faced or in a Klan hood in that picture. Either way he doesn't have much to stand on and he has done nothing but continually stick his foot in his mouth since.
    To argue his yearbook picture wasn't racist is unrealistic. The Dems need to codemn him and pressure him to resign. Otherwise, they'll lose the ability to accuse all Republicans of being racists.
    Without identity politics, they don't have much else to game on.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I like how Northam called slaves "indentured servants" and got a pass.

13. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hey, you don't know what it's like to be chastised because of race, ok!

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung is my slave name.

brex likes this.
  16. Spang308

Dudes wife had to tell him to sit the fuck down and don't moonwalk!
    This latest lefty implosion has been entertaining and sad all at the same time.
    I wonder who was in charge of opposition research for his challengers campaign. His career should be over.

17. Spang308

Reminds me of Chris Rocks skit of Marion Berry.
    "Smoke crack, get your job back."
    "Who'd he run against? A heroin addict?"

G 97 likes this.
  18. eggfooyoung

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I just saw a photo with her and Nancy Pelosi at some benefit I think.....Can you imagine the MSM Libtard outcry if those shoes were worn by Ivanka?

20. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member