1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 MotoGP Changes - Biggest change ONE Helmet standard

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ummmm, those are our rules... I think that may even be where OMRRA got them :crackup:

I do allow older Snell ratings on new helmets as some of the good manufacturers don't submit an older design for the new standards just because of the expense.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We have a system. However there are some helmets I personally do not like that have the Snell and/or ECE certification. I however cannot use my own experience as a specification to make a rule barring unusual circumstances.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sic's issue was like a lot of football players - too much fucking hair. And I'm not joking. A haircut and a properly fitting helmet and he could possibly be alive.

dieterly, stk0308 and Steeltoe like this.
  4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Fair enough on that. Eventually when the coffee kicked in I figured it out.
    Icon, as an example, meets Snell even if it's not as well constructed as Shoei.

5. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Honest question, why not?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why not which part? With the WERA rules unless it's beyond blatant or I truly feel it is a huge safety issue I have to balance out my own wishes with protecting the company from lawyers. Why don't I like some helmets? I've seen people crash and have more of a head injury than I feel they would have had with a better helmet - even factoring in their past history of concussions. I freely admit that is a gut thing though as it's hard to measure concussions (even though it's getting better/easier all the time) and every brain reacts differently to impacts.

7. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I meant why couldn't you make a rule based on your own experiences. I think the way that the ASMA ban was done and communicated could obviously cause problems, but I would think that "I've seen a bunch of this so I'm going to make a rule about it" is enough justification, and in my admittedly limited exposure to you it seems like you wouldn't arbitrarily make a rule without valid reasoning behind it.

I guess I realize it's much more nuanced than it sounds and everyone is sue happy...

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I run into something I just flat out can't balance with the specs we have in place then worry about lawyers or not I'd go with my gut. So far the ones I don't like I don't have enough data on to outlaw them. I did as LRRS did with the HJC injection molded stuff that had a seam and would split but they disappeared pretty quickly luckily.

You're right on the arbitrary, I wouldn't just do it because I saw one helmet I didn't like one time. It'd take a lot more than that for sure.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

11. six6two

six6two AWD

I find all this splitting hairs over what kind of plastic case your foam hat sits in downright comical..... how is alternative energy management not mentioned in 5 pages here? If you’re hitting your head in anything other than a 6D... I feel bad for you! Just look at some of the SX crashes 6D riders hop up and walk away from... it's truly revolutionary... friends don’t let friends ride rigid!!!

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

have the weights come down on the 6D street helmets? i've seen a bunch of the dirt helmets and many friends use them, but the street stuff I tried on a few years ago were 1-2lbs heavier than anything else that I considered. have a pista GP R now that's light and has good impact protection. I just took a quick look on their website and on RevZilla and nowhere does it list weights.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's mentioned in the Bennet's article. MIPS.

14. six6two

six6two AWD

MIPS is nothing like 6D’s ODS..... Mips is basically a layer of gel. It’s a step in the right direction though for sure.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

huh? MIPS bicycle helmets have a thin plastic cage that allows the helmet to rotate about your head. thats it. Bell's animations show something similar for their moto helmets. what are you thinking of?

16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah mips isn’t gel.

It’s exciting times for helmets, I love that the brands are pushing each other to improve safely.

BigBird likes this.
  17. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Bell uses MIPS for some motorcycle helmets, and their better race helmets use the Flex liner. Their pro carbon race star helmet is FIM approved already. It uses the same Flex liner as the regular Race Star helmet.

Neither technology is basically a layer of gel.

and that doesn't mean 6d isn't also doing good things for development.

18. six6two

six6two AWD

Was definitely thinking of flex... whatever they’re doing I haven’t looked much into passed seeing the SX guys still getting knocked the fuck out in them. That’s not really the case w the 6D. You can check out a lot of the gnarly crashes on YouTube, but I’m speaking from personal experience on the advantages of ODS over a piece of fucking foam wrapped in plastic(or carbon or whatever) Friends don’t let friends ride rigid.

19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sweaty, that's nice and everything but what does it have to do with that one helmet standard crap? :D

A bit early for the drinky drinky don't ya' think? :D