1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 phase motor to 120v

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Feb 10, 2019.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I picked up a few sewing machines at an auction but they all have 3 phase motors. I will be using these at home and only have 120. Looking online for information has just mode me more confused. I can buy 120v servo motors but would lose a lot of the options the machines are capable of. I'm reading about variable frequency drives but really dont understand them. Anyone have any history doing this?

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

3. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

I installed a Rotary phase converter in my shop. works great, but it is for 208v equipment. I have Never seen a 120v 3 phase motor, or 120v 3 phase equipment.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You only have 120v? If you actually have 230v single phase, then I'd say to buy a rotary phase converter, as that would be a lot cheaper and less complicated than retrofitting three machines with vfd's.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yeah I would assume those are 208/220V 3phase. You can use a rotary phase converter and turn 220 1 phase into 220 3phase. IF you dont what to do that you have to swap motors.

6. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

They are 230v which confuses me even more. Not much out there on them. The control panel only had 3 wires out which makes it even more confusing

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

230v single or 3 phase. Can you post pictures of the motor plates and any electrical info on the sewing machines?

8. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I am guessing they are 3 phase, the other motor that I have not gotten cleaned up yet has 4 wires and is 3 phase on it . Here are some pictures of the plates. Thanks for the help so far

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

It looks like you have a variety of stuff there.
    Some of these have controllers? What do the plates on the controller show? One motor is dc, supplied by the controller. One plug only has 3 of 4 wires connected.
    No quick, easy answers for this.

11. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

The first and 4th pictures are the controllers. The first 3 pics are of the one machine. The other 3 are of another machine. I never thought they would be 3 phase motors on them.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

OK. So that first machine e looks like it is a single phase controller(230 or 120v, P1) and is a dc power supply.
    The other one does indeed look like it needs 3 phase.
    I think a rotary phase converter is the answer for the second one and any others that are 3 phase.

13. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

So the first one I can throw a regular plug on and go? Ok, I'll check out the ones GRH posted up for that one.
    Thank you all for the input :beer:

14. joec

joec brace yourself

They're little motors, so go with a vfd. You can get them fairly inexpensively. And they can do things a rotary can't..

What kind of machines? Surger? Blind stitcher? Just curious. I've only messed with older style machines, us blind, and Pfaff 5strings.

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I’d go vfd used on eBay. Tons of machines 15+years are being dismantled now and they’ll have vfds, so the prices will be pretty cheap.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Fwiw....I ran my shop on a 10hp rotophase for several years. It worked fine. But now that I'm plug and play I'll never go back again. Stuff spins up faster and the machines definitely like being off the rotary. Unless I need a big 20hp roto, it's just extra stuff i don't need.

17. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Automationdirect has inexpensive VFDs that will work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

18. joec

joec brace yourself

I'm pretty sure my tooling guy runs a bunch of his stuff on vfds he's gotten from them .

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  19. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I will have 3 Juki's and a Pfaff. All lockstitch machines. 1 is a walking foot. The others straight needle. The Pfaff is a twin needle that I will use to put zippers in.

joec likes this.
  20. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Do these machines run at a fixed rpm or does their speed vary? (I'm guessing they vary) Do you have 240 volt single phase power available?