1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the age of automotive downsizing...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

This is a gas engine. Curious why both Ford and Chevy just released a 7.3l gas and a 6.6l gas. The exact displacement numbers from their diesel “good” engines....marketing bs.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Chevy had a 400 small block for decades, aka a 6.6L.
    Ford never did anything right except for anything in a mustang that isn't a 4.6 or 5.4L, and the 7.3L diesel, so yeah marketing on that one.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Water expands up to 1700 times its volume when converted to steam. I'd say that was enough pressure to assist in driving a piston. Just gotta provide enough heat from the fuel/air mixture to turn the water into steam.
    In principle, it doesn't sound that different from what's already happening in an IC engine. The combustion of fuel provides heat that expands the Nitrogen in the air. It's the expanding Nitrogen that drives the piston, not the controlled explosion.

BTW, we don't know how they're calculating those MPG. I can tell you our 430HP 'Vette gets 33 MPG at 70 MPH, but it's only turning 1500 RPM. When it's making upwards of its HP capability, the MPG easily drops below 6.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I can’t wait to see the first guy to squeeze that thing into a Mustang. Lol.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Because emissions.

JBowen33 and CMRA 270 like this.
  6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I was wondering if GM was suppling Ford engines now.

7. fastfreddie

The block is definitely Ford.
    Those heads! The intake looks straight in. 32 valves?
    Not diggin' the needle bearing rockers, tho'. Maybe the hy-po will have bushings, they've been proven better than needles.

8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Thank you for clarifying that, the marketing totally sucked me in. I saw 7.3 and just assumed they were improving their best diesel engine for a re release.

9. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I've been done with diesels for years. My gassers aren't anything near what it's diesel counterparts are, but it starts, runs, pulls fine, never fails...I somewhat surprised based on MPG numbers, but gassers...CAPABLE gassers will do well.

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Who fed you that line of shit???
    You do realize Nitrogen is one of the most temperature stable gasses their is dont ya?
    The burning gasses is exactly what drives the piston down and provides the power to do so.

There isnt any such thing as a 400hp 110MPG engine. It requires X amount of fuel to do X amount of work. The number for 400HP is more than 10x 110MPG...

11. turner38

It’s Funny that Ford’s best diesel is actually a International design...

12. fastfreddie

Wow. You guys really need to brush up on reading comprehension...and science. Nitrogen is exactly why pressure builds in the combustion chamber. If you don't think so, run pure oxygen and fuel. See what happens, but duck behind a steel barricade in another room.

13. fastfreddie

While we're at it, why do you think Nitrogen is a major ingredient in explosives? To take up space as a filler or binding agent for the volatile stuff?

14. turner38

No, oxygen and the catalyst be it Ethenol, methanol, gasoline, butane mongos farts or whatever is the reason pressurebuilds in the combustion chamber. The ONLY benefit to Nitrogen being present is adds dwell to the pressure spike and cushions the blow. It is and always will be a inert gas. I would assume it is used in explosives for the same reason, to add duration and control over the spike.

K51000 likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

Believe it, or not, the plain and simple truth is, heat (from the burning air/fuel mixture) makes the Nitrogen expand rapidly.
    How hot is that burning air/fuel mixture? About 4000ºF.
    What kind of pressure is developed as the Nitrogen rapidly expands when exposed to that level of heat? About 4000PSI.
    (The numbers are purely coincidental.)

Could it be said that steam was inert? It certainly wasn't the fire in the boiler pushing those pistons on steam locomotives. It was water, which was expanded by heat to a level that rapidly changed its state to that of a gas, or steam.

There are no buffers in explosives. You have fast burns and you have slow burns, like gunpowder - a low grade explosive. Gasoline, in its vaporized form, is actually quite high on the scale. Considering its overtly common use, you'd think it was more dangerous than we perceive it to be. It is.
    I'm sure you've seen vids of things exploding. Do you think the "shock wave" you see is just about the percussion? It's not. "It" is what is doing the rapid expansion that you perceive as an explosion and causing the damage...just like the shock wave that pushes on a piston. Heat causes that. Higher level of heat, higher level of rapid expansion...of Nitrogen.

16. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I feel like we need Walter White to
    clear up all this science shit. I’m lost. I’ll stick to economics and investing.

17. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

The why use oxygenated fuels? Why not nitrogen rich fuels?

18. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

PV=nrT, for those of you who slept thru chemistry
    P is pressure
    V is volume
    N is the number of moles of gas
    R is the gas constant
    T is temperature

If the temperature goes up, the pressure goes up until the volume expands

19. turner38

Still a whole lot of Wrong in their....

Combustion temperatures are typically lower than 4000F , Nitrogen joins with Oxygen and form Oxides of Nitrogen at anything over 2800F better known as NOX.
    Temperatures do go above that but not to 4,000F.
    Nitrogen is only there because it makes up 78% of what is going down the intake port.
    I guess in a small way you are correct, because Nitrogen is part of the “gas mixture” in the combustion chamber. However it is not there because it is the medium we want to apply heat to, it is there because it is what comes along for the ride. Take Nitrogen out of the equation and the Combustion will still take place, expansion will still occur and the Piston still gets pushed down, provided it all happens at the right time...

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

To get Chicks. Chicks dig Nitrogen!