1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is with white folks and blackface?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I just don't understand the fascination.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I'm missing this whole thing really. If somebody is dressing up in a costume for Halloween or whatever and chooses to go as Michael Jackson or Prince, how is this racist. Paying homage to a black entertainer, by dressing up as them for a party is racist? And I'm asking, not pointing fingers. I don't get it.
    Now, if somebody paints themselves black and marches in a parade with the intent to disparage black people, that I totally understand.
    Long ago during times of widespread racism, was "blackface" a thing that the KKK or other ignorant bigots did to hurt blacks?
    I think Chappelle doing his white guy impressions on his show was hilarious.
    "Stop the malarkey. There's a white guy speaking." Now that shit is funny.

badmoon692008, ToofPic and kangasj like this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Don't forget ASHEY at the Marci Projects!

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

What's the current fascination with bringing up blackface from 40 years ago that has no relevance to todays society?

badmoon692008, ToofPic and cav115 like this.
  6. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Every skit the guy did was hilarious. I think he's one of the funniest comedians ever. I was just pointing out him playing the white character with his face whited out with makeup and his ding dong white guy impersonation voice was funny and not offensive.
    I don't find him playing white or whites playing black offensive in the least as long as it's all in fun and not used in a negative manor.
    Guess that's the problem with the world today. Nobody can take a joke anymore.
    And yes, the Ashy Larry World Dice Championships skit was funny as hell. Clayton Bigsby the black white supremacist. C'mon man. That stuff was brilliant.
    The Racial Draft...:crackup:

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's difficult to find enough racism to bitch about to
    uphold the narrative that we're awash in racism.

kangasj likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

There you go again with your white privilege.

stk0308 and SpeedyE like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Because...outrage.

stk0308 likes this.
  10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You are allowed to surround a newborn to decide Caesar-like
    whether it shall live or die, just don't do it in blackface.
    At that point, you've crossed a moral line.

5axis likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

White men are some of the dumbest sonsabitches I've ever seen.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yea, let's pretend black folks don't impersonate white folks, at all. :confused:

Again, people of color complaining about things only THEY should be allowed to do w/o question. :rolleyes:

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

My comment stems from the VA AG, whom I'm guessing this thread stems from, copping to having done it, with no photogrammic evidence.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Impersonating someone and minstrel shows are the same thing. Who would have thought that?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here. Especially the racist fuckers. "I hate black folks but look at me trying to look black" WTF????

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

And that's fine, IMHO, if it's done in jest and not to make a mockery of OR degrade then have at it. We've had comedians of ALL races poke fun at other races, sometimes while dressed in character......and there's never been any "RACISM" problems.

I just recently saw a photo of Ted Danson in a black face attire at what I'd guess was a dinner or something, Whoopi is seated just to the side of the podium looking up at him LAUGHING........in other words, it wasn't a problem then, I'm waiting to see the backlash on that photo.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dressing as Mikey sure as hell ain't blackface. Prince either, he would be tanface.

Pretty sure Toe is talking VA Gov or Ted Danson full on minstrel blackface.

Then there's the whole Black Like Me thing, also not the same.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fucking kids. 40 years ago it wasn't remotely cool either. Last time it was semi okay was before the Civil War....

Big T likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can't remotely equate blackface as a white person impersonating a black person. It's not close to the same thing.

Now white comic impersonating a black person would get all sorts of shit too but that's still a different argument.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

Amazing ain't it?