1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 6 year prediction...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by K51000, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way the rich were paying 70%+ of their yearly income. Had to be tax laws or loopholes that offset a ton of it. Which means no huge increase in income to the government.

K51000 likes this.
  2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

That ignores another factor though. In those years there was a crap ton of deductions and shelters which were done away with during the Reagan cuts. Also income inequality was just as bad then except poor was even poorer. Lastly massive debt is 100% SPENDING! which what exploded and continues to. But cute meme.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

The U.S. had record tax revenues AFTER Trumps tax cuts last year. We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem.
    I'm with Mongo. Shut down entire departments permanently. I am seriously concerned with spending, debt, deficits and all politicians seemingly comfort with unbalanced budgets that pile 100s of billions on the already ridiculous dept annually.
    Obama added 11 Trillion to the debt in 8 years. I was hoping Trump would reverse that some. At least wittle away at it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    kangasj, K51000 and VFR#52 like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW before I forget - just because I'm making fun of the doomsday peeps doesn't mean I think everything is absolutely perfect and there aren't a lot of things that need fixing in the government, the US, the world. Lots of bad shit is still out there, but it's better than it's ever been and the ability of people to ignore that and bitch about such absolutely ridiculous stuff is a good sign but a sad one at the same time.

K51000 and VFR#52 like this.
  5. Spang308

https://nypost.com/2019/02/04/cuomo-announces-income-tax-revenues-have-dropped-by-2-3b/

Whodda thunk it? Raising taxes lowered revenue. Well no shit. The rich are infinitely mobile. Tax the shit out of them, read steal their money, and they'll pick up and leave.
    Now Cuomo has a huge spending problem on government cheese and a shrinking tax base. He'll now be forced to cut spending, or permanently drive his state's economy off a cliff.
    He just proved our national point with his localized economy. Thanks for the gumball Mickey!
    Let's get AOC's highly respected opionion...

tl1098, kangasj and K51000 like this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Plus he wants to give free college to illegals. :mad:

7. Spang308

Well, you can probably flush that idea down the drain. Maybe the idiot should sign up for classes himself. I recommend economics 101 for starters!

K51000 and tl1098 like this.
  8. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

9. Spang308

Just shy of 1 trillion so far. Not good by any means, but not the trillion plus per year Barry was piling on.
    His economic policies have tax revenues up. He just needs to cut spending and focus on the debt. I'm worried he's so used to huge debt from his private life, he doesn't worry enough about it. If he doesn't put a dent in it, the next one in office may be another Obama spender and we'll never return from it.

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

The real truth is simple. If Mongo can’t eat it, he don’t care about it. :D

11. Spang308

Unlike Ocasio-cortez's ridiculous "climate change will kill us all in 12 years. It's our WWII" statement, I really do feel the debt is a legitimate crisis that could cause irreparable harm to the country.
    Debt and the southern border are my concerns. One is fueling the other to some degree.

K51000 and AMac like this.
  12. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Wont work. For example, AOC has a degree in economics.

Education requires truth and a willingness to hear it. Neither exists anymore.

K51000 likes this.
  13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Those are (accurate) top marginal rates. Effective rates, as has always been the case, were markedly lower. Revenue to the fed as a function of percent of GDP -- at least WWII ended --has shown high stability across a wide range of tax rates.

Through second quarter 2018 Receipts

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I care about a lot of things - especially health insurance that is taking a huge chunk of pie money :D

K51000 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I believed the numbers were right on the face of things. Just don't believe the conclusions drawn in the meme :D

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:crackup: Wanna know what that post and your rationale reminds me of???
    White people who get stuck in the worse neighborhoods. All they do is spend their lives negating the negatives of what's happening in their district until it's too late and then they're stuck there....

What does it take for you to finally show some reservations on the things being pushed or already happening?

K51000 likes this.
  17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Oh yea, those were great times too. :rolleyes:

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So from 1936 to 1980 it sucked to live in the US? Is that what your implying?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Try talking about actual bad things not shit that makes no real difference in real peoples lives and I'll be on board.

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Because that whole "Great Again" thing clearly is not talking about then. That would be ridiculous. Worst times ever.

SuddenBraking likes this.