1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was anyone else long on Bitcoin Cash before today?

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Nov 12, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

this guy is still ahead of the game though. how about the rest of you BTC pros that were very adamant about buying McLarens and retiring by now?

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

There's a town about 45 minutes from me, Massena, that used to have 3 big plants, a GM, Alcoa and Reynolds Aluminium. All 3 made aluminium, right on the St. Lawrence river right next to a hydro dam, got cheap power from the NY Power Authority. Alcoa bought Reynolds and shut the plant down then the GM plant closed, 5000 jobs gone, really hurt the whole area. The town, county, state everybody was / is desperate to find a use for what's left for buildings and of coarse jobs. A couple years ago a Bitcoin mining outfit convinced them all to give them a bunch of incentives to set up in one of the empty buildings and worse, got the Power Authority to allocate them a bunch of cheap power. Not sure how many jobs it created but it's looking like the government got snookered.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You would think a politician could spot a con man when they see them...

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Is it too early for the naysayers to gloat? I hope not. I wanna gloat. :D

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Because they are cut from the same cloth?

6. Venom51

No need to gloat. I don't like to see anyone lose money...most of all myself.

7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Gloat! :crackup:
    You know someone will be along to say..
    “I’m in it for the long run”
    Well I gots some bad news for ya... you gots no choice.

Ride safe,
    AAron

BigBird likes this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I played with a couple of days pay and got burnt.

It reaffirmed something I learned long ago: Don't invest in something you can't adequately describe to a reasonably bright 12 year old using a crayon and a napkin.

Jedb, Used2Bfast 2, R Acree and 2 others like this.
  9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I asked an investor friend about the best way to short Bitcoin back in the 12k+ days. I was too scared of more irrational exuberance to act on his advise (something about shorting a fund that was linked to bitcoin but which I was not dependent on the ability actually buy/sell BTC directly).

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

11. Venom51

I knew it was going to fall apart when all the branches and variants started happening.

12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

13. Venom51

So they are out some electricity and imagination.

14. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

What’s this I hear tonight about millions lost because some chic died, and took the password to her laptop with her? Lol

Where’s those Bitcoin guys that were laughing at us old and obsolete gold and silver owners a yr or 2 ago?

The end

kangasj likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was talking to a late 20's Brit a few weeks ago.... he made over 5 million from Bitcoin. Was telling me about all his cool car and bike projects :)

Meanwhile, my etherium is down like 85% :(

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Somewhere there's a blockchain something-or-other... perhaps a cryptocurrency... that people are going to look back and say, "Damn I wish I had bought that in 2019."

Question is, which one.

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Unless he had a 1099 stapled to his forehead I would say he was BSing you. :D

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

there are some folks that bought it for relative peanuts, and can still cash those out. they are also those that made money on the tulip craze. Someone on the VW forums, sold their GTI, bought a McLaren or something with his BitCoin money and was like this is just the beginning. Well the Tulips died, and haven't really seen them again boasting..

so there's all kinds of stories

19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I'm sure it no longer being hidden from the IRS had more to do with it. If you can't use it to fund hookers blow or a foreign war no one needs it

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I will say, for all our laughter, there WAS a chick at my work that bought in years ago for pennies. Literally knows nothing about crypto. She bought it because her favorite diet pill took out the ephedrine and she wanted to get black market diet pills from India. She forgot about the remaining ones until the craze last year, ended up cashing out for about $300k. She's still here, not retiring or anything, but I think it paid off her condo. Decent play I guess for some dumb luck.

Newyork, BigBird and DucatiBomber like this.