1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting Down Your Pet

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by VintageWannabe, Feb 4, 2019.

1. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

No, I'm not talking about someone who can't drop their emotional support service animal. Those people need to put down the pet and grow a set. There was a thread in the general discussion about a guy struggling with the decision to put his cat down after he thought it had a stroke, and was acting funny / couldn't walk. I unsuccessfully tried to derail that conversation to talk about killing animals. I was asked to move it to the dungeon.

Serious question. And I'm not even that much of an animal lover, so I don't have strong feelings here, just interested to understand people:

Why do a lot of people think it's better to put their pet down when it has lost mobility, or is acting weird, or can't walk like it used to, or as people put it "has a low quality of life"?

We don't do this to humans -
    A: Because we're not allowed to
    B: Because I don't think most people would (feel free to provide conflicting opinions). I think most of us wouldn't put our Mother down when she has a stroke, just because she can't speak right or move around like she used to. We wouldn't put our children down if they broke a leg and didn't walk right anymore. We take care of them, and let them live out their lives as best they can. So why do people see it acceptable to do this to our pets?

I think it's an acceptable answer if the animal is obviously in incurable excruciating pain. I also don't advocate for people spending a fortune to save an animal. But if the animal can live without intense pain, and live out it's days on earth naturally, even if not in full function, why not let it? Why not let it die naturally?

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

3. VintageWannabe

So, you want to make dog abortions illegal? It's a life, you know.

4. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You don't think people would? Aren't there lots of cases of people wanting to pull the plug on loved ones? Isn't Kevorkian famous because lots of people would rather die on their own terms versus letting a terminal disease slowly erode them away while suffering.

badmoon692008 and SpeedyE like this.
  5. VintageWannabe

Sure, depending on your definition of ‘lots’. Not most though. I’m under the impression most people would put their pet down if they thought it had a stroke and it wouldn’t eat or whatever.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Its the difference between being human and being humane.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My sister in law had dog that got to the point where he couldn't see, hear, and his sense of smell was significantly diminished. Somehow he managed to adapt until he just failed to wake up. Was that humane? I suppose by some standards it was. In the wild, his natural environment, he wouldn't have survived nearly as long. Which one is natural? Same for humans. We have developed medical science to the point where we can keep someone alive long past the point where it makes ethical sense.

I personally am not ready to pull the plug on anyone, and won't put down a pet unless I can tell they are suffering. I am not comfortable drawing the line because there is a boatload of gray area.

emry and SpeedyE like this.
  8. VintageWannabe

I’m with ya on all that

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Individual choice but I also don't think we need any laws making it nifty neato.

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with putting down a suffering animal. I've done it 3 times so far, it sucks but I couldn't stand by and watch my dogs go though hell with no way out. I did the best I could by them but the truth is I couldn't deal with it. The wife had to do the dead. What can I say, I'm a wimp when it comes to this.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You make the choices for your animals. I'll make the choices for mine and we'll let it stay there. My wife is under strict orders to not waste one fucking nickel on medical care beyond my useful shelf life. There is a D.N.R. to keep them from bringing me back for no good reason should some tragic event make me an eggplant when they revive me. Someone can make use of any organs that are still useful upon death.

SuddenBraking, Dan Dubeau and SpeedyE like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Every animal I've put down was in a shape where I'd easily choose to put myself down.

One thing the supposed animal rights peeps tend to forget is animals don't remotely show pain like humans. They can be in extreme pain and it manifests as a minor limp. They can be truly miserable and they don't show it. So you have to make the best choice you can for your friends.

13. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I already told the lady the second I can't wipe my own ass or remember who she is, she is to smother me with a pillow.
    Im also 100% in favor of doctor assisted suicide for anyone that wants one

badmoon692008 and R1Racer99 like this.
  14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Mom died of lung cancer. It made its way into her spine in about 7 places. The strongest pain meds they have only took a bit of the edge off.

She died by drowning mercifully in her own fluids as her lungs filled with them as her disease reached its finish line.

If I could have saved her that last few months of agony. It would have been worth it.

We treat dogs and cats with more compassion because we think people in this shape should be made to stay with us in case there’s a cure that is magically invented in their last hours.

Fuck that noise.

Oh. And Mom never smoked.

15. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

This thread is depressing and sucks.

ToofPic and StaccatoFan like this.
  16. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

I wish I could have spared 3 of my grandparents the torture of Alzheimer's. Waking up every day after every nap not knowing where you are or why you are there, or who is this near me? To be genuinely scared for your personal safety, but not have the mobility to even stand and walk away. That is tough as a caregiver and as a family member. The pets I have put down were spared that torture. I don't look forward to my future. I will be tortured and ignored like so many others. As humans are we really the higher intelligence on the planet? We don't seem so smart or compassionate.

Life sucks, enjoy every fucking second of it. It is all you get.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Making the decision for yourself is easy. Making it for others is the challenge.

18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

My ex’es grandmother has Alzheimer’s. She’s had it 9 years ago when I met her and she’s progressively gotten worse until for the last 5 years she’s been bed ridden, humming to herself, constantly picking at her face. Totally oblivious to the outside worlds.

If that was me I’d have wanted to be put out of my misery a long time ago. You’re no longer keeping her alive for her, but for yourself, because you can’t let go.

The grandfathers last 5 years of his life have been taking care of her. No life of his own.

19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I'm in this situation with my dog. He's almost 18 and I've spent pretty much every day with him since he was a month old, I know the time is near and it's going to hurt bad, but I can't put him down just because he's got a bunch of issues. For me, obvious pain or being miserable will be the last straw, but until then it would feel wrong to me.

For humans though, it's a joke that people can't decide to end their own pain. I don't think we should be putting old people to sleep like pets, but if someone with cancer or ALS or something wants to end it, that should be their choice.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. kangasj

kangasj Banned

LOL, you said "But if the animal can live without intense pain, and live out it's days on earth naturally, even if not in full function, why not let it? Why not let it die naturally?" and I was pointing out that some people will murder children after they're born so I wouldn't be too surprised if some people put their pets down earlier than necessary.