1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pod Cast from Ken Hill

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Bosarge22, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Algonquin

Algonquin VRRA and DOCC no.92

As a senior track rider who forgot to try a 125gp bike until last year now love it the GOLDEN RULE of slow to apex fast out is impossible since with a 125gp bike momentum is the golden rule. Visualisation is the key as you say and calibrating to the scope of different classes of track bikes takes the time it takes but that's for sure part of the fun. I think more people could benefit from riding smaller bikes. Cheers!

2. khill

khill Well-Known Member

There are 2 podcast topics in there and both are on my list.

Ken

3. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Ken, first off thanks for the podcasts and for also answering my questions.

Question for you and may be some others would be interested in this as well. When do you transition from trackdays to racing, is racing safer than track days. I am very comfortable being on a race track from my car racing but feel i need to work on some of my riding skills. When i do go to race i am not looking to race a modern day machine, i love the vintage machines and want to do some low key vintage races.

The way i transitioned into racing cars was racing karts and then jumped into a race car from there. I know there is no golden rule as to when you should try a race but should there be some report cards i need to check off to make sure i am safe enough for myself and competitors.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not Ken but I'll answer anyway - neither is safer or more dangerous than the other. Both have other riders who make mistakes and those can hurt themselves and others.

For decades there were no track days and people went straight from the street to racing. If you can hold a consistent line you'll be just fine no matter how fast or slow you are. There's no checklist or need for one to go racing.

tigerblade and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Thanks for tuning in to the podcasts!

I already have on the to do list - "When should I start racing" and will get to it at some point. Your question of - is racing safer than trackdays - is really as Sean put it - neither safer nor more dangerous, as the dynamics of both change so rapidly and are based on so many different moving pieces.

A thought about the safety aspect of racing is: Good riding fundamentals help offset unpredictable circumstances. While all aren't avoidable, being able to be proactive in your riding as well as see what others are doing, before it happens, helps massively.

Vintage racing is a great way to go and for sure helps, as a big part of the competition is the spirt of the bike itself.

Ken

ajcjr likes this.
  6. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

thank you both for the reply

7. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I started straight into vintage racing. My first time on a track was with a bike I had zero experience on during a WERA race school. It really was a lot to take in. I had done track days in cars but never on a bike. I would recommend starting racing when ever you feel "comfortable". I put it into quotations because I feel it will always be nerve wrecking. I wish I had done a track day first, but I wouldn't let that keep you from going to race school. The vintage guys are incredibly supportive to new racers. Feel free to PM me if you need any help getting involved!

ajcjr likes this.
  8. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Podcast #64 is up.....Get your notebook out for this one.

https://soundcloud.com/ken-hill-534763963/podcast-64-motor-controls-adjustability

Listen in to Podcast #64 as Ken breaks down how the best riders in the world, are the most adjustable riders in the world. Ken discusses how all the physical inputs a riders uses, controls the ability to adjust for different riding situations. Listeners can support the podcasts by clicking on the link: goo.gl/ORYax2

Podcast Notes:

- What are Motor Controls?
    - How are Motor Controls Adjustable?
    - What are the inputs the rider controls?
    - What starts the adjustability process?
    - What ends the adjustability process?
    - How you can learn the process of adjustability

mdhokie, ajcjr, MurfSVR and 2 others like this.
  9. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Podcast #65 is up!

https://soundcloud.com/ken-hill-534763963/podcast-65-how-do-i-know-if-i-need-the-brakes-for-a-corner

Join Ken Hill as he answers the question of, "How doing I know if I should brake for a corner?" Listeners can support the podcasts by clicking on the link: goo.gl/ORYax2

Podcast notes:

An often asked question is, "How do I know if I need the brakes for a corner?"
    Ken goes into detail answering this question and giving you quantitive report cards.
    -Does my speed matter?
    -What the brakes are really used for
    -Does the corner radius matter?
    -What are the report cards of right and wrong?
    -What are my triggers?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    MurfSVR likes this.
  10. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Podcast #66 is up!

https://soundcloud.com/ken-hill-534763963/podcast-66-double-apex-corners-lets-figure-them-out

Listen in to Podcast #66 where Ken talks about and breaks down what a double apex corner is and what are the reports cards for them. Listeners can support the podcasts by clicking on the link: goo.gl/ORYax2

Podcast Notes:

-What does double apex mean?
    -What is the radius that makes it so?
    -How to determine your apexes in them
    -Where is the slow point and how long does it last?
    -What are my, in real time report cards?

Newyork and MurfSVR like this.
  11. JetMoto

JetMoto New Member

Ken,
    Thanks! I was riding with a self proclaimed "super track experienced awesome rider", experienced maybe, awesome he was not, but he gave me a great compliment by suggesting that I must have been riding sportbikes for years with the knowledge I have... Not so, Ken Hills podcast is to thank! I eat up and consider all the race, riding, and mechanical craft knowledge I can get my hands on and you've provided some of the best. THANKS!
    Somewhere in the archive you've recommended some books, I believe some where on technique and some on mechanics such as suspension basics. Although I've listened to many of your podcasts over again I'm hoping you can spare me the rest of the day re-listening and recommend these books to me/us again on the forum here. What are your must read books for riding technique as well as mechanic related topics?
    Thanks again, JET

khill and MurfSVR like this.
  12. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Let me put together a list of books.....quite honestly, there isn't much out there. Big fan of Nick's book - Sport Riding Techniques - but it is a bit of an overview and basic.
    My favorite book at the moment is George Leonard's - Mastery. Excellent book and I have pages and pages of notes from it.

Ken

MurfSVR likes this.
  13. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Podcast #67 is up! Finally an interview.......

https://soundcloud.com/ken-hill-534763963/podcast-67-interview-with-ohlins-usa-technicians-c/s-IwnvZ

Listen in to Podcast #67 as Ken interviews the technicians at the Ohlins USA race trailer at a MotoAmerica weekend. A longer than normal interview where we get to ask the experts questions about suspension and set up. Listeners can support the podcasts by clicking on the link: goo.gl/ORYax2

Podcast Notes:

-How good is today's sport bike suspension?
    -When should I upgrade?
    -What is the difference between valving changes and spring changes?
    -What does a suspension envelope mean?
    -How do tires change suspension?
    -Should I set sag?
    -What are good setup numbers?
    -Exactly how good are MotoGP, WSBK and MotoAmerica suspension components?

MurfSVR likes this.
  14. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I've been listening to the podcasts and I truly believe these will help me in my vintage racing this year. I am most interested in things that can help a club level vintage (bike and rider) with basics. Two things I am trying to work out are:
    Initial braking point. On a given track are all the 3 markers some what similar so that when riding the same bike on a lap, if you use a 3 in two of the turns,will the 3 be close to the right braking spot for other turns also. The alternative for me is to memorize each corners braking spot (not yet successful) or to wait for reactions to force me to start braking.
    The second is some guidance on what can predict when the tires are about to slide. I am using Dunlop slicks and have only slid on slick spots or slide out due to throttle. I have never slid because I am at maximum speed on a smooth corner with good grip.
    Are there certain podcasts that can help with these things or specific other help.

15. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

I'm no Ken Hill but...
    How about your brake release point! have you thought about that? Is it consistent? You can adjust your initial brake point according to your brake release point,the point where you have your max lean angle,the point where you (should) have exit direction,the slowest point of the corner.

As for the second part,there's an awesome podcast from Ken Hill on "How to develop feel".

16. khill

khill Well-Known Member

MurfSVR likes this.
  17. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Podcast #68 is up. Quite a bit longer than normal and my poor editor had a fit with sound and editing....

https://soundcloud.com/ken-hill-534...tions-with-dunlop-tire-engineer-tom-grolemund

Listen in to Podcast #68 and Ken sits down with Dunlop tire engineer Tom Grolemund and talks tires. This is a much longer podcast than normal and the sound challenged due to the interview being held in the very busy Dunlop trailer on a race weekend. Listeners can support the podcasts by clicking on the link: goo.gl/ORYax2

Podcast notes:
    -The change from specialty tires being made in the UK to the US
    -Street based based vs race based tires
    -When do I need race tires?
    -Do I need slicks?
    -How does tire pressure change a tire's characteristics?
    -Do I need tire warmers?
    -What off the track temps should I have?
    -What do the top riders always ask for?

MurfSVR, tigerblade and LossPrev like this.
  18. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

Hey Ken Hill on Inside MotoAmerica! I’d recognize that voice anywhere. Good Job!

19. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Oh man.....I haven't watched it yet......

20. khill

khill Well-Known Member

MurfSVR and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.