1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Nov 25, 2016.

1. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Is this place using the same algorithm as Facebook or something ???

Been thinking of trying to get back in to mountain biking for a while when my brother calls and asks if I want a bike. Drive over expecting some POS or something .

It’s 2014 Specialized Epic Comp 29er. Said he didn’t want it and never really rode it since he bought it. Just told me to take it if I wanted it.

I know it might be a little older tech but it beats any hard tail I’m used to riding and the “brain” rear shock actually seems to work very well when peddling

bacolmm and Used2Bfast 2 like this.
  2. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

Hell yeah! That’s a great bike. Ride it like ya stole it.

3. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Picking up that bike brings me to another question.

What backpack are you guys using to carry your water , snacks etc on longer rides ?

If I’m going far I have to carry more than the average snacks , water and glucose meter .

Looking for a decent pack with built in bladder and storage for the other things .

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

how much stuff do you want to carry? A multi tool kit, tubes, spoons, inflator carts should fit in a seat bag/pack. Add a water bottle cage for ease of refills in the field. Ogio has some cool compact ones and Camelbak has the kid sized. You probably dont wsnt a big pack on your back mtbing incase of a crash.

5. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

It's not the pack which can be quite soft and welcoming but all the stuff people jam in it that could end up jammed in your back. Some even offer back guards but they weigh a bit more. Think I read of some spinal injuries loosely connected to hand pumps, but never provable.

Camelback Mule and lobo for example are good small to medium sized. I wouldn't go larger myself unless you had reason to.

Evoc also do a decent range.

Latest mtb trend is to go bumbag style, I think Bontrager had a well reviewed one. Not my deal.

And for short blasts current preference is a bottle for drink and lash the tube and bits to the frame. Some tools these days can be stashed in the bike itself which means less bag required. One-up does a range that inserts into the fork steerer and also the hollow crank axle, incl Allen keys and pump, pretty slick.

6. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

I’ve got my spare tube, spoons and carts in a small bag like you mentioned.

For whatever reason I’m finding myself drinking a ton of water while riding . I hope that decreases as I get in better shape but one water bottle isn’t enough . where I’m riding refilling isn’t an option . So something with a bladder and room for some snacks and my blood sugar meter is all I need .

7. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I use my small ogio bag when I have to carry a lot. It's the same one I use for dirtbiking. It's got a water bladder and can also fit rain jacket, lunch, gps, tools. It's called the "Dakar" bag

This year I upgraded to a new Stumpjumper 29". Really digging how it gains roll speed so easily. If anyone needs the hookup let me know.

[​IMG]

Odilup and TurboBlew like this.
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I keep a spare tube, some levers and a pump in my frame (Specialized thing), a multitool in a cradle by the shock mount and a chain tool in my steerer (Specialized things as well). When at team functions (I coach a local NICA team) or on longer rides, I use a medium size Camelback type pack. It's nice and lightweight, breathes well and has room for first aid stuff, an extra bottle or two, extra tube and some snacks. Don't recall the model, I've had it for years. I don't use the bladder in it, it is simply for carrying stuff.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Camelbak makes a hip (fanny) pack with a bladder and room for snacks, tubes, etc if you don't like the backpack style.

Bloodhound likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The waterbottle & cage was a suggestion to supplement a camel pack. You can get them in full backpack sizes. I like the straps that have small pockets just big enough for some GUs so its easy to reach without stopping. Have you tried that new dexcom stuff?

11. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

I've been running an EVOC Hip Pack Race for the last year and a half. It rides so much easier on my back compared the Camelback Mule I had been riding. It carries 1.5L water bladder, snacks, tools, spare lightweight rain jacket, shock pump, and a beer, during the summer I run a water bottle on the frame with electrolytes as well and usually pre hydrate and I am fine on 4-5 hour rides. About the only thing that is a pain is carrying knee pads, so I either ride the entire time with them or without them on.

12. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Has anyone ridden any of the Yeti's with Switch Infinity? I've been looking into them and can't get over the idea that they will require a lot more maintenance or that they'll be more prone to failure. Is this concern unfounded?

13. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Which stumpy model? ST or LT? What did you pay?

14. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just bought an SB5.5. The switch Infinity is the best system I have ridden. Edged out the DW Link on the Pivot and I didn't think that was gonna be the case.

This thing is a God Damn monster truck.

15. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Sick.

Everything I've read agrees with that. I'm just concerned about maintenance. Any initial thoughts on that front?

16. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Long travel expert 29". I get the brother discount, but my friends in the past have gotten ~20% off

17. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Clean and lube it. Not too worried. Pretty sure if you do regular maintenance there won't be any issues.

Was out today getting it dialed in. It wants to gooooo faaasst. Pisgah in July, can't wait.

18. RndHoleSqPeg

[​IMG]

Kidding of course, Odilup let me know if you need any pointers on where to ride and routes. I live in Asheville and moved here for the trails.

Odilup likes this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

20. RndHoleSqPeg

You can have Portal, even if I had the skills of Nate Hill or the like its not that fun of a trail