1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did my 2018 taxes last night...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by wood600rr, Jan 29, 2019.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I’ll post the impacts on my returns when I get them done. I’m also inclined to scan the summary pages (as redacted) to validate the results. How about that being a rule for this excersize? After all, we all know at least half of what is on the Internet is fake.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Did you ever answer if you saw an increase on take home this past year?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd answer that but I have no idea what my paycheck amount is this year or any other year for the last 25 or so :D

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As long as the wife (assuming you have one) allows you to spend it on motorcycle stuff.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have one. She writes the paycheck and deposits the paycheck and makes sure all bills are paid, I get 50 cash as an allowance every week. I can get away with some bike spending although if the cc bills get too high I get in trouble.

6. dsapsis

I didn't change my withholding. I don't view take-home as germane to the influence of a tax overhaul on effective tax rates. Color me not surprised you do.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wouldn't using the same witholding setup change your take home if the tax rates change?

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Color me not surprised at your retarded retort.:crackup: I knew the question was just too simple for you to answer.....honestly.

stk0308, Fonda Dix and kangasj like this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Eschew obfuscation.

10. dsapsis

Whether I take home more on a paycheck or not does not influence my effective tax rate, which is the only metric I see worth discussion regarding the impact of a tax overhaul. YMMV.
    Withholding has two 'h's. :D
    I presume so, since its based on estimates. I went and checked to satisfy Mr. Retiree. My takehome went up $187. When I report back after calculating all the influencing features in what actually determined my tax liability, I will compare w-4 estimate increase rate to whatever the delta is on effective rate. I honestly have no idea how that's all going to suss out. I do know that giving tax breaks during periods of already expanding aggregate demand is counter to most all economic theory, and that we got nothing WRT to budget savings from the process. But the again, I'm "deranged", so don't listen to me.

Newsshooter likes this.
  11. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Wait a minute, so if you didn't change you
    Huh? Sorry, I wasn't listening...

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Are you really Garth?

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

still waiting on my w2s from 2018...lol. Went from a higher paying job to a lower paying one.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I think you meant "it's".

$187 increase per pay??? Not too shabby!

So have you picked a charity yet to send that difference, I mean orange man and Republicans = bad and one of your heroes called it peanuts. I KNOW for a fact, St. Jude's Hospital would accept such a paltry amount every 2 weeks. ;)

kangasj likes this.
  15. dsapsis

I'm paid monthly, Skip.

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Monthly donation it is then!!! So which charity is getting your peanuts.....you forgot to reply???

Spang308 likes this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Compare your W-2's from the last couple years to the 2018 W-2. If total withholding is less in 2018's..this pretty much works as long as you didn't experience a drastic change in your annual income.

The tax reform is awesome any way you look at it. The absolute worst place Americans can put their money is in the hands of the Government.

Ducti89 likes this.
  18. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I wonder how many TDS'ers will refuse to take all of their normal deductions if it proves to lower their taxes paid? If they paid less, how many will blame it on less earnings caused Trump policies?:crackup:

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I wonder how many will SEND MORE...just because it is Their Fair Share>?

Brad likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

-1.4 million