1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right and wrong???? - AZ 14 year old car thief shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by StaccatoFan, Jan 20, 2019.

1. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You really are a complete jerk Jase.

cav115 and brex like this.
  3. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

I'm just going by what other are saying in this thread. Some are saying they have no empathy because he's a criminal, and i'm the jerk?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Adding insult to injury...He had not even gotten insurance on it yet...but had registered it and had a tag, so his Shop insurance won't cover the loss..
    First thing I ask. "Cameras"..nope...turns out he had just taken it out of the building and put it in the fenced lot behind it two days before, they had some building materials coming in and needed the room ..His fence guy was suppose to be installing the "Slats" in the chainlink to block viewing into the lot..8' fence.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Far from the only one, but yes.

I have some empathy for the kid and his family. I also have empathy for the cop and his family who have to deal with the aftermath of stupid actions by a host of people starting the the kids parents and including the cop.

cav115 likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You know, if you’d still been playing with it when they showed up, you might not be here today.

7. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I have zero empathy for criminals. Why should I?

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have personally seen kids from the best of families do really stupid things, so until I know more background information I am withholding judgement on the parents. After watching the video, the kid and the cop share in the stupid. It's hard to see an imminent threat to human life here, but I'm not the one placed in a high pressure situation by someone else's actions. My bet is that the family receives an undisclosed financial settlement and the story just fades away.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I agree, up to a point. 14 year olds do stupid things that shouldn't be a death sentence. The primary reason I include the parents is their statement that, at 14, he was to young to know right from wrong. If that is their world view, then the stupid started with them (or perhaps their parents).

cav115 likes this.
  10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

That article brings a little more light to the subject and even more question to the cops actions.
    The kid had no business in the truck but it damn sure isnt a offense punishable by death, neither is running away.
    Am I the only one that is troubled by the over reaction any time there is a hint of a issue by police nowadays?

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No. But then I also understand the over reaction given that there are people out there targeting cops.

cav115 likes this.
  12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

When you were young, did you ever steal anything? Remember, you will know if you lie.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Self empathy sounds kind of kinky.

14. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Raises hand. I did, I was five. My Mom caught me and made me take the plastic army man back in the store, return it, then apologize to the manager. I never took anything that didn’t belong to me again. That was fifty+ years ago, I still remember it well.

auminer likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My signature line.

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So, basically, you're saying that YOU (and possibly turner38, T.Landon) as taxpayers are completely OK with LEO's breaking off a pursuit of an armed subject because y'all don't condone shooting someone over what petty/property crimes? OR is it more likely that y'all just think so lowly of LEO's that you think they SHOULD be mandated to take life risks by NOT using deadly force when warranted even on those petty/property crimes???

It's actually quite sad seeing how grown men, in here, rationalize this shit, having no experience in this field.

God, I can't help but wonder how each of you would feel if you had loved one around the corner, getting into their car or home when that harmless ARMED individual rounds the corner from a pursuit and feels the need to take a hostage or kill a person over their car so they can get away. You think a law suit would be incoming under that scenario Nigel???? The sooner you learn that LE/PD's are literally damned in what ever action they take or don't take the better off you'll be.

Property crimes are so harmless, huh? Then why did the kid feel the need to have a [fake] gun??? Makes me wonder if he's ever committed an armed robbery?

The young actor from the Bronx Tale......is/was a crack/meth head......he and his partner in crime were burglarizing homes for drug money. His partner was armed and shot at BOTH NYPD officers who were responding to the call, killing one.

So much for, "It's only a property crime!"........huh?

17. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

There’s so much Monday morning QB’ing going on it’s past funny.

14yo was committing a crime. 14yo runs WITH A GUN IN HAND. Officer opens fire. 14 is hit.

Not one single thing the officer did was wrong. Not one. The kid is solely responsible for the actions that led to his death.

If he had thrown the gun then maybe he would be alive. He didn’t. Probably didn’t even think about it. Probably didn’t even remember it was in his hand. High adrenaline and fear. He was probably just running. He was probably sorry that he was stealing. He probably wouldn’t try and kill a cop or someone else.

But none of that matters. Actions can only be taken with the information available.

Criminal stealing and running with a gun looking over his shoulder in an alley. That’s it. That’s the info. What action are you going to take?

Banditracer and 88/532 like this.
  18. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Of course.

I also don't expect people to have sympathy for me for breaking the law and causing unwarranted harm on innocent people. Pretty sad when people give more to the criminal than to the victims. YMMV.

19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I think that if you were to look outside of this rather polarized forum, you would find that I am pretty much middle of the road when it comes to my perception of police accountability. I have said, more than once, in this very discussion, that the cop was put into a high pressure situation through no fault of his own. Your own attitude that a responsible citizen does not deserve to have an opinion on the use of deadly force is counterproductive to your chosen profession. Remember, you police this country with the consent of the citizenry. If the public at large did not support you, you would not be able to do your job. I am right to express my concerns over the use of deadly force to stop a hypothetical threat to the public, and you should support my right to do so. Again, I was not the one placed in a high pressure situation by the actions of another, but I have some difficulty discerning an imminent threat in the video. If you are willing to settle for no less than my unequivocal support for this particular fleeing child being shot in the back, I am going to have to disappoint you. The gray area in this incident is worthy of discussion.

jase, SuddenBraking and Yzasserina like this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Wait....hold on...let me try to squeeze some out....urrrrrghhhhhh….damn. Nothing.

Let me state it this way. If you know the possible outcome of you stealing something could be that your life is ended and you are willing to place your self worth at that low of a value then why should I put a higher value on your life? If you steal a snickers bar and run from the cops in the dark and they shoot you because they mistake the snickers bar for a gun who's fuckin fault is that? It certainly isn't cops fault. It's not the rightful owner of the snickers bars fault nor is it the publics fault. It's the criminals fault and if they have made the decision that a snickers bar is worth their life then that very well maybe the price they pay. I'll lose no sleep over it.

Sympathy for criminals is highly overrated.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Banditracer and BHP41 like this.