1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Zwifters on the beeb?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Jan 13, 2019.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

ANy pros or cons compared to zwift besides the price.

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

No mention of powerbands? Specifically red powerbands...

cha0s#242, TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Damn, nice tags:eek:

Cannoli likes this.
  4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Watts generated is different than power divided by weight. If the power meter or speed sensor is off, it could scale the power measurement, but putting in a low weight should really help going up hills in Zwift.

5. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I'm still surprised how fixed the relationship between performance, power and weight is in cycling. Like some law of cycling. In some races on zwift you can predict the podium based on that alone, esp the hilly races. Not uncommon for the top cat a and b riders to be pushing 12-15w/kg in a 5s bunch sprint at the end of a race. I don't get why people use zwift for general riding. Race or train with it, imo.

6. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I should have said “and in real life!” :)

Just finished my free 25km and will definitely subscribe to benchmark where I’m at and do some of the training portions. I was looking at JD Beach’s Zwift data and A it’s a little creepy to be able to see that personal fitness and health data that clearly, and B, youth plus training is awesome. Pushing between 150-160 steady watts with a heart rate around 130-140. I am more like 160 bpm for that, but I also haven’t been training much. I look forward to the watts coming easier in the future. It will also be cool to see PRs come down when I lose weight and update the Zwift sim data.

7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Make sure you sign up to zwiftpower and link through your account, heaps of post race and activity data to look through and benchmark against.

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

What's the 'Woodcraft' of trainers? Reasonably priced and an excellent value?

I don't want to spend $1k+. Would like to be around $500 for a reasonably accurate direct drive. Did some research, and my head is spinning with all of the options. Between having a kid and losing daylight, I haven't been able to ride at all lately. Seeing a lot of racers on Zwift and would love to give it a shot.

9. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Not sure what the equivalent is. There's a hierarchy of trainers as far as I can tell
    1 top tier direct drive smart trainers - elite Drivo, kickr 3, tacx neo
    2 second tier direct drive - kickr core, elite direto, tacx flux (beware based on many accounts)
    3 top tier on wheel smart trainers e.g kickr snap
    4 second tier on wheel smart trainers e.g. tacx vortex/genius
    5 top tier non-smart fluid/wind resistance trainer/rollers
    6 every thing else

I'd venture the direto, core or snap would be most equivalent. Maybe the snap more than the others given it looks affordable, semi accurate and bomb proof.

Greenhound386 likes this.
  10. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Side question, what heart rate monitor are you guys using? I need one, have no band, monitor, nothing at the monent. Trail riding, I don't have a trainer, Florida life :D

11. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

For a direct drive you're going to be at least $700. Kickr core, or the one by Tacx. For $500, you can get a wheel-on trainer like a Kickr Snap. I have a snap and like it, but I'm looking to upgrade to a core

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I can sustain 800+ for 5-10 seconds in the smallest cog while standing and going up a 10% grade. It’s very achievable if your fit.

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I use the Wahoo Tickr Fit. Couldn’t be happier.

14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I was wondering when someone would catch those :D

Ducti89 likes this.
  15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have a Garmin Edge 810 bundle including cycling computer, cadence, speed, GPS. DIscontinued now. I believe the best bang for the buck currently is the Edge 520 bundle if you need a complete setup. My GF have the Edge 25 which is pretty cool if you just want basic info : HR, speed, cadence.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Garmin. The band itself is quite accurate, and it pairs with any Ant+ device. I primarily MTB and have a 520, so that makes it really easy when out on the trails.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a polar standalone with watch you can have for shipping. I found it in my electronic drawer. The watch isnt smart but the sensor is bluetooth connectable

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

when I first got on zwift...i was having trouble spinning past 300 watts... which should be pretty easy just standing up. Had to adjust the tire pressure and tension on my trainer.

19. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what's your reason for wanting to upgrade?

Was looking at the Snap originally, but because I still want to do a lot of road riding, I don't want to deal with swapping on a trainer tire or getting a spare wheel.

To the other poster asking about HR monitors: Wahoo Tickr paired with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt (they like to drop the 'e' in their naming conventions).

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Pthh. Weakling.