1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key West advice

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Jan 14, 2019.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

My wife and I are going to be in the Keys Wednesday through Sunday. We have a work project going during the day, but I'm looking for recommendations for stuff to do afternoon/evenings, places to eat, etc. We will most likely be looking for chill things to do, places to relax, get a nice meal, hit a beach, etc. We're too old for the big party scene!

We are staying just north of the Naval Air Station, about 10 miles north of the end of the road. I should also add that we are flying in/out of Miami. So if there is anything not to miss there or on the way, let's hear it.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Red Buoy coffee company, they have fantastic doughnuts and try the 2 different types key lime pie. We preferred the Kermit’s key lime pie.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dry tortugas to explore and snorkel

It's a full day trip that far out though

t11ravis and kangasj like this.
  4. acorn27

I've heard of that place. We might have a full day to ourselves on Saturday so that might be a good option.

5. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

There really isn't much for nice beaches in the area that I know of. Go walk around downtown and Duval, it's only crazy party area certain times of year, or if you are looking for one. Plenty of food in the area and fun to walk around the historic areas.

6. acorn27

I've read that Bahia Honda state park and Smathers Beach are two nice beaches to check out.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Ft taylor for the beach and my blue heaven for breakfast.

Mallory SQ for sunset

You're welcome

Tas and acorn27 like this.
  8. ChemGuy

drytortugas.com

Its awesome.

9. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Can you still feed the tarpon at Robbie's Marina?

10. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Wife and I did that a while back - well worth the trip.

The sunset celebration at Mallory Square is good also.

If you're driving down from Miami be prepared to slow down - the life and driving pace there is a lot more laid back.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, the drive from Miami to Key West still sucks. If you have time take Card Sound Rd when you get to the Keys instead of A1A...its an interesting alternative. Stop for lunch at the Cracked Conch Cafe in Marathon and wave at the guys at the CG station for me.

Other than that, I only visited Key West to drink. Fogarty's is a really good restaurant.

acorn27 likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

I was by there a couple months ago and I think yes. If I remember right they were doing some renovation work, but stuff was still open

Jim Moore likes this.
  13. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was referring to the area surrounding Key West itself.

acorn27 likes this.
  14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Get dinner at Lorelei's on the beach in Islamorada and enjoy a wonderful sunset :)

15. ChemGuy

I know what I forgot to mention.
    Stop in at the Florida Keys Brewing Company on islamorada. Get drunk and make the wife drive the rest of the way

K51000 and acorn27 like this.
  16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Shit, we sailed out there and spent about a 1.5 weeks. The fishing and snorkeling was amazing. Really enjoyed it.

17. sbkidd

sbkidd Well-Known Member

I'm riding bicycles from Orlando to Key West in a couple of weeks, i'll remember that one.

Cannoli and K51000 like this.
  18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'd love to do that ride on a bicycle. I did it on a Harley a few years ago and it was nice.

19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You want to be pleasantly surprised? Have no clue what Key West is. Be in FLL for a week and decide to drive down to the keys cuz you wanna be on those famous bridges.

That was me and my buddy Xmas break. We decided to drive down for the shit of it. Timed it to catch the sunset but had no idea key west was....that!
    Randomly decided to stay the night ( thanks ihg points) and had an awesome time.

Those are the best. Zero expectations.

acorn27 likes this.
  20. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Dramamine for the ride the the tortugas