1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supercar vs Nascar

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragginass, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think an early 90s Nascar will be quicker at a road course.

They race Sonoma, Watkins Glen.

2. 418

418 Expert #59

There's a roadracing class that pretty much runs stock cars. When I looked at qualifying times at Road Atlanta the pole sitter was doing 1:25s.

That's far from "pathetic".

3. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I rather see what an F1 car does to a nascar around an oval track then a supercar.

4. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

So if a NASCAR is ~3500lb and 900 hp, what supercars are at that power:weight or better?

5. Dragginass

I can see the airbags popping on a Lamborghini if it hits a bump:crackup:

But Ferrari or Ford GT? Too much racing heritage not to think they could go 500miles....imo.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A few years ago at the Daytona Ferrari event... they had retired F1 cars with V10s clicking off low 1:20s on the same course config the Rolex and the 200 run on. I think the record for the fastest lap on a super bike might be ~1:41. Fastest of the Rolex 24 was a 1:34 (I think)
    It was an exhibition as they had open cockpit type cars of different generations. You didnt need a laptimer to see how hard the F1 Ferraris accelerated in & out of the infield. The sound on the banking was incredible. They were running spotters from the main grandstand so they wouldnt ass pack the dawdillers in T1... the braking zone off the banking had to be <150yds

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Not in off the street form, around a oval, at full throttle, for 500miles.

Wait. Dragginass deleted a post

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A street spec GT or Ferrari would snap suspension and eat motors over an oval over 500 miles. Yeah, race prepped would last longer but those nascars have almost 275 years of knowing how to turn left without puking.

Really, on any race track, including a road course, my money would be on the nascars. Off the showroom stupidcar versus whatever the sponsor is now of the top series nascar car.

9. Dragginass

Tanner Foust did a top gear segment with a mclaren mp4 (is that even a supercar?) Vs a NASCAR. The McLaren was faster on the infield, but couldn't keep up on the banking. Yes, I know, tv, but add a few hundred HP tonthat car and it makes you go hmmm.

10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They race at Sears Point every year but run a very different course from the bikes. Nascar doesn't run the carousel and they run the old T9 and the long T11.

cBJr likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

275 years? Back then they all had 1 horsepower.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Two different tools for two different jobs...

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Don't remind me. I wanted to go so bad and I had to work.

Goodwood Festival of Speed Hillclimb

Mike Skinner Nascar truck 50.44
    Supercars 2017
    1 Audi R8 Coupe 51.00
    2 Nissan GT-R 52.68
    3 Porsche 911 Turbo S 53.31
    4 Lamborghini Aventador S 54.44
    5 Ford GT 54.54
    6 Noble M600 Speedster 54.73
    7 Rimac Concept S 54.89
    8 Aston Martin Vulcan AMR Pro 55.62
    9 Pagani Zonda 760RS 57.04
    10 Aston Martin Vantage AMR Pro 57.83
    11 Zenvo TSR 58.03
    12 Maserati GranTurismo 58.42
    13 Nissan BladeGlider 61.80

Race Cars for the Road
    1 BAC Mono 49.54
    2 Caterham Seven 620R 50.01
    3 Radical RXC Turbo 50.83

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    418 and TurboBlew like this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I used to watch the Champcar races at California Speedway. I went to my first NASCAR race there and was completely shocked at how slow they accelerated out of turn four onto the front straight. At the start of the race I actually thought there was something wrong with the pack they were going so slow LOL

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Where’s that video that shows f1 vs gt from the same corner and vantage point? It’s inSANE.

Edit: just posted it in the YouTube thread

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Prolly eu rouge.

418, Steeltoe and zertrider like this.
  17. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Spa Francorchamps

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I drove my convertible Porsche 993 around Cal Speedway at 130 with the top down and my 8 year old kid in the backseat playing Nintendo. No helmets. Meh, what’s another 70 mph?

19. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

It all depends on the setup as well, watkins glen short course nascar is around 1.08, a Grand Am prototype did it in 1.07. SCCA racing cars closest thing to it is a Formula Atlantic 1.08.

Gt racing cars on the same course are 1.13 & 1.16 which could be a tube frame car like a nascar race car or a converted street cars, usually Porsche, BMW, Vette.

If you have never driven on an oval, setup is very very important. I think a normal super car may have some pushing issues with understeer or would have to take a wider line which may not be the fastest line.

20. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I'm not sure how this fits in but since there are so many out of date Nascar cars and also cars from the "feeder" series like ARCA they are surprisingly cheap to buy. Ten to twenty year old cars like this occasionally show up at track days and from what I know they dominate the typical new Corvette, new Porsche stuff.

Also the NASA racing organization has classes that allow these cars to mix with other stuff. I'm pretty sure that pickups that are past their prime from the World Truck Series (think NASCAR pickups) have won many races in NASA unlimited class races.

When something was built to race it is often quite different than a modified anything.