1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southport NC?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sprinky, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

The wife and I are heading to Southport NC over Easter weekend for a friend’s wedding. What’s the 411 on this area? Neither of us have been there before. We’ll have a couple of days to ourselves. We’ve got an Airbnb booked right downtown. What are the good restaurants, bars, things to do? Is Uber / Lyft available there?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Looks like population of about 3600, still recovering from a damage from Hurricane Florence,and Brunswick Nuclear Power Plant is nearby.

Sprinky likes this.
  3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I've been there many times over the years, but I haven't found any restaurants that stand out more than just a meal. The Yatch Basin and the Provision Company are OK. I haven't tried the Ports of Call. Pickings is pretty slim IMO. The old town area is a good place for a stroll to look at the old houses. Brunswick Town and Orton Plantation -- more history -- I liked them. The Fort Fisher Aquarium is a good time as is the FF Museum if you like that type of history. The ferry across is enjoyable. The Cape Fear Jetport is a good place to go for a plane ride if you are in to that. I'm not sure if they do tandem skydiving.

They getting married on the lawn at the river? I saw one of those 2 years ago, it was nice.

Sprinky likes this.
  4. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

We used to go to Kure Beach by Ft Fisher a few years back we took the ferry over the Southport. There wasn’t a lot there, and this was before the storms hit.

Potts N Pans and Sprinky like this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wimminton is not far. USS NC. Lots of restaurants etc.

Sprinky likes this.
  6. Sprinky

Yep. Looks like it should be nice.

7. Sprinky

So, pretty much what I was thinking...laid back watch the world go by kind of place.

8. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

ougt to see the battleship north carolina . its at willmington, like acree says. also the alligators that swim around it ,looking for a hand out. i think they still do tours.

9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

The alligators do tours?

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Many places in the area have shut down due to damage from Florence.
    Southport has several good restaurants and a few good things to do.
    You can take the ferry over to Ft Fisher.
    Don't waste you $$ going to Bald Head Island.
    If you have time, you can stop by my shop & rent some bicycles and ride around the area.
    Easter weekend is going to be crowded a bit. The 1st big weekend before the summer tourist season starts.
    You can check with https://www.southport-oakisland.com/ for some ideas.
    Hit me up a week or so before you head down.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not far ? Close to 70 miles r/t.

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

70 in bicycle is on 10 in a car.:D

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If you have a death wish, go ahead a try and ride that trip on a bike

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep, no way I'd do it.

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

My brain is not working today. Did not read your post correctly.
    The short cut car route has bypasses as one of the roads is still damaged. Not sure on the final repair completion date.
    The old route is 1 lane in each direction with not a lot of passing zones, with people that should not be allowed to drive on it.
    Plus not sure where the OP lives, but if he's from any kind of big city, Wilmington is not worth the drive if you're only in town for a weekend.
    The Battleship is on the outskirts of Wilmington. Have not been there. But again, Easter weekend will be crowded.

16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I work in Southport on occasion (there is a huge ADM facility there) and it’s a great little town. Several good restaurants and a newer hotel or two there as well. I’m more of a city person so I usually stay in Wilmington when I have to go but if you don’t mind small town life it’s cool. Plenty of beaches within easy reach.

Southport Smoke House, Fishy Fishy and Mr Ps are good eats. Go to Wilmington and check out Cape Fear wine and beer. It’s one of my favorite bars in America. Also some real good eats downtown in Wilmington. Wrightsville beach is worth checking out too if you have a day to kill.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I never go into Southport, except to deliver bicycles or go to Walmart.
    Do you work there in the summer ?

18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You fellows have any specific restaurants in mind? I've struck out so far.

I don't think the op will have time, but renting a small boat or kayaks to cross over to Masonboro Isle has always been a good time for me. Last time was not so good though when I took my boat. Big waves in the dark, then run aground in the ICW just south of Snow's Cut.

Oh yeah, plenty of boats to take you fishing in Carolina Beach.

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

There's plenty of Charters in Southport.
    The Adventure Kayak Company is in downtown and owner is a friend.
    She also rents single speed beach cruisers.
    I have not heard any real glowing reviews about seafood restaurants in Southport.
    Island Way in Oak Island is highly recommended.
    Mr. P's Bistro in Southport is supposed to be good.

20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Yeah sometimes. It’s been a year or two since I’ve been there but prior to that I was going 2 - 3 times a year.