1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castrol SRF Shelf Life

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxersmitty, Jan 11, 2019.

1. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I've got a container of Castrol SRF brake fluid that I've had sitting on the shelf for a few years. I know most brake fluids draw moisture over time and shouldn't be used, but I thought I had read somewhere that the SRF fluid didnt attract moisture. Is it still viable or is it done? It has been opened, but I've kept the lid on it when not in use.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Its fine for your car or truck, I wouldn’t use it in a race application though. Although SRF is better wet than some of the other fluids are dry...

mike-guy and gixxersmitty like this.
  3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Castrol SRF (assuming the race fluid) is one of the best brake fluids you can buy for a race application.

To the OP, you could probably get away with it, but a new bottle would be ideal. Normally, one could punch a small pour hole in the aluminum foil wrapper, to help it last (for the little it's probably worth).

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I always put some plastic wrap over the open mouth in an attempt to seal the opening up some before I put the cap back on. I always throw it away after 2 years though, just as a precaution since your life literally depends on your brakes functioning correctly on the track.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

anyone ever use a brake fluid tester for race fluid?

6. Put 50/50 water and brake fluid in Kris” bike. Less brakes, he will go faster :).

7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I would think that old new fluid is still better than the burnt old fluid in your reservoir,although a new bottle would be best. Id rather use new cheaper standard DOT4 at my skill level tho...

8. gixxersmitty

I'm done racing for a while, but I still have bikes that I could use the fluid in. It's a high quality product when it's new. I hate to pitch it if it's still usable.

9. I would throw it in the garbage. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. Once you break that seal its shelf life is pretty shitty especially if you live in a high humidity area. That’s just my opinion.

10. gixxersmitty

That's the word I was looking for, hygroscopic. I was thinking that I read that the SRF was non- hygroscopic, so it didnt draw moisture like other fluids. I couldnt remember what the term was so I hadn't brought it up. If it was any other fluid, it would have been gone already.

11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It is still hygroscopic, just way way better when partially contaminated than any other fluid out there. Making it a really good choice for anything that doesn’t see fluid changes every race event.
    I put new in the DLM yearly and use the remainder in my street bikes and anything else that will see abuse over the long term.

12. gixxersmitty

I swore that I was going to buy one of those vacuum sealers for food and bag and seal stuff like this but I never did.