1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People In Cold Climates: Car Q

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Nov 24, 2018.

1. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I would figure out a way to keep your battery warm as well. A fully charged battery at -40 F is mighty weak compared to a fully charged battery at 40 or 50 F.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The usual practice is to always keep a trickle charger plugged in along with the block heater and oil pan heater. Some people also use a battery blanket as well. This my district supplied vehicle and I hadn't realized that it didn't have a battery charger on it. I have an extra I will put on it. For tonight I just have my regular charger on it. It will start in the morning, most likely. On my personal truck I have a battery charger and It would have started today but it got buried in snow while we were out for Christmas break and I haven't cleared the driveway behind it or dug it out of a couple of feet of snow. I'll get to it all this weekend when it warms up to -10 on Sunday. Just for fun you can check the weather for 99741.

4. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Well you are headed north of 0! Barely...

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We had 6 below this morning, I can see that ain't shit. :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

OK, I have been in northern Ontario cold, but even that was "only" -35c. But I did have to pull start a 800cc triple snowmobile. When you pull all that you can and feel each cylinder move to TDC at a very slow pace, you know it is going to be a cold day of riding. And then have the sled overheat, because the coolant froze in the heat exchanger.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I was in northern Wisconsin sledding about 20 years ago and experienced a -50 temp. Our sleds ran fine but none of our trucks would start. My suit sounded odd, would crackle, it was too cold out to ride. I will say the newer suits are much better.

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I do this with the diesel tractor, starts up like it's 60*F out, 60" 3 pt snowblower makes light work of the driveway

speedluvn likes this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Living in WI, that’s exactly how I finally accept its cold ... the jacket crackle. Once I can hear/feel my coat give “that” sound/feel, it’s cold.

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's the only time I ever felt a snowmobile suit was good enough.

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah, we're supposed to get all the way down to 34 this weekend in Texas.... I know what you guys are going through!!!

:D

Sprinky likes this.
  12. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

The jacket crackle and the sound of crunching / squealing sound of snow when you drive and walk over it are my cold weather indicators

Funkm05 likes this.
  13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Now at -51 and my truck still won't start. I'll just wait until Sunday when it is supposed to warm up to -10.

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got 15 below right now so we're getting down there.

15. Exactly.

16. Going up to Polaris in Mn in the middle of winter is just a bit too cold at times. Rising sleds and sxs at -30 is still cold even dressed right at 80mph. Just need to make sure you have very good gear. I don’t mind the frigid cold it’s just the time it takes to do everything. Can’t just throw on flip flops and jump in the car to head to the store.

17. Northern IN on Wednesday.

Attached Files:

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You rebels got the brunt of it while we here in PA only got a "hunters snow". 1/2" just to make the deer stand out against the back ground. :)

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

We got around 8-10" here in Indy, high today of 34.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

These threads remind me why I left Summit County, CO. Not so much the bitter cold you guys are talking about; below zero was actually pretty rare there... It's just that 9 months of the year there's snow on the ground. That same snow paid the bills, but DAMN it got old.