1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Federal Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

In a perfect world, yes. If I had my wish, the government would protect our borders and maintain infrastructure and that is it. Period.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid: Hunger is an amazing motivator. I am amazed how many people believe that manual labor is demeaning and beneath them yet they have no problem living on government assistance.

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

All of your fixes are still pretty deep in the “hardship” category for me.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Leaving aside what THE DATA actually shows, if you only have two timestamps, its linear. If you fit to an exponential form, and the parameters are double after 10 years, the power function is...wait for it...1.

You could fit some cool weird data to something less than 1 with additional power terms. Was that what you were thinking? Quadratics aren't usually lumped into simple "exponential" relationships, but if you you give me some time series data I can fit a model to it. It may fit good, it may not. None of that has anything to do with numbers that don't seem to support your claim.

I see Fonda has now added an entirely new category to the discussion: families. Dangerous and expensive families. Possibly real refugees, which we all know are a legal form of immigration, and we are all for (!) legal immigration. If only the courts would have gotten some of that DHS funding so we could process them. If only those courts were open.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Or they could obey our laws and wait in line.
    I often have to wait for things.
    Especially when the government is involved.

StaccatoFan, jrsamples and cav115 like this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Honestly, I was using "exponential" as a hyperbolic term, not a literal mathematical term. At it's most basic definition, it just means that it's growing at an increasing pace. Some of the news articles I've read/heard seem to indicate that was happening.

This actually broaches a significant gripe I have, which is how EVERYTHING we're fed anymore is twisted to fit a narrative. I get frustrated to the point of not caring about most things anymore because I simply cannot find accurate, trustworthy, unbiased data. Everyone willing to publish information has an agenda. Nobody believes in journalistic integrity any longer. News is just a means to an end, another propaganda outlet.

StaccatoFan, K51000 and jrsamples like this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What political/religious persecution or wartime strife are these families fleeing from? Is there some sort of weather phenomenon that afflicts northern mexico that does not afflict the SW United States and causes famine and/or drought?

K51000 likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m not talking about your situation. Are you a single Mom of three?
    They are not my fixes, they are federal and state social welfare programs.
    They are not meant to make anyone “whole” but to ease the burden short term.
    But yet the MSM presents it as a massive calamity all created by the shutdown. Even though she hasn’t missed a payment.
    Has three kids as a single Mom. Has multiple safety net programs.

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Most are not from northern mexico but central/south america, I know a friend that quit working in guatemala 20 years ago because of violence, and it hasn't gotten any better.

10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Sounds about right. :D

11. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

So you don’t have even a suggestion of a solution but you know that barrier won’t work to slow down illegals coming into the country.

This post is so full of emotional outrage it’s humorous. You offer no thoughts on how it can be slowed because it’s not a problem for YOU.

If you’re so concerned about eduction then maybe you should learn yourself a bit about where the money comes from. Hint: It’s not the Fed. After you find out, tell me, how is it that illegals aren’t causing a problem for education.

The point is this. There are many things where we need to improve. Sure education is important, not one person here is saying different. Getting the government out of healthcare is importanter.

We’re talking about illegals, which is a problem despite it not affecting YOU that you know of (because you bury your head in the sand).

I guess it’s going to take YOUR son to get murdered. YOUR daughter or wife to get raped to make it an issue for YOU. How much is your sons life worth? 10 illegals? 30? 100? 1? How about 5 of thier children for one of yours ? Don’t they deserve everything you’ve given your sons?

How much is your sons sons life worth? How about his education? 1 illegal kid gets to go to school while both suffer from school budget deficits?

You see. These are hard questions and even harder answers. The answer is, yes, in a perfect world or even a perfect America. We would be able to bring in and support everyone that wanted to come. But we don’t live in a perfect America. We live in America. There’s no money fairy. So we have to have allow immigrantion at a rate we can handle. Period.

It saddens me to see photos of starving people in 3rd world countries. It hurts my heart to see children in impoverished conditions. But unless we have controlled immigration, that’s exactly what we’ll become.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

One would think with all of his way awesome English language skills he would understand the definition of illegal. LOL.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Let's see, Guatamala or Hondoros (I wish I could spell) is a shit hole where crime is rampant and the locals can't do anything about it except flee illegally to the USA. This makes it our problem, right? Yet right next door in Costa Rica and from most things I can find the same situation doesn't exist there. What's the difference? Inquiring minds want to know.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So much drama in one post. Jeez, this is Pulitzer level fiction!

It's well documented that the wall won't solve any issue and that most of the "bad" people get in here via other routes. Look up how much of the bad stuff comes in through the port systems compared to the southern border. It's almost laughable how little of a percentage is from the border. But if the wall is that important to you, then you pay for it. There's a Go Fund Me already set up.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You sound like professor Obama .....experts all say ___ so if you had common sense..... :crackup:

Sections of the wall have been built and worked every time. The pain in the ass king Jim Acosta just demonstrated that by saying how there was no issue while standing next to a section of wall :Poke:

Oh and I have not seen anyone claiming the wall will fix all issues. It is well known there is also a Visa overstay issue. But you need to start somewhere so why not at the number one area of problem.

But hey there is still money to study if some bird can still get it on while on coke :Pop:

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I’m anti most msm too but you’re being just as bad.

It isn’t a massive calamity; it is a hardship.

I’m just tired of people on “my side” poorly making the arguments.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

What argument am I making that is poor. What have I stated that isn’t true?

She’s an IRS worker.
    She is a single Mom of three.
    The Government is in a partial shutdown.
    She missed her first pay check just today.
    She’s eligible for unemployment.
    She’s eligible for food assistance.
    She’s not working so she can also find another temporary position.
    Her very own life decisions have a far greater impact on her situation then the Gov. shutting down.

I’m not the one saying it’s a massive calamity, the MSM is. Which you, yourself stated it wasn’t.

So please tell me what I am representing as a poor argument.
    o_O

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

For fuck sake. You need to work for CNN. “Well documented”.

Bury your head in the sand all you want. Your choice. While you’re at it, keep repeating that BS that the MSM is spoon feeding you.

The problem with Democrats like you, you don’t want facts, you talk of education. Well “look it up”, hot shot. But that’s not what you’re going to do. You don’t want a barrier THAT’S PROVEN to be effective where ITS ALREADY IN PLACE. You offer no thoughts on any other type of solution. None. Zero. Yet you keep saying. “It doesn’t affect ME”. Therefore, it’s not a problem. Classic Dem. like I said. I guess it’ll take something happening to your family before it becomes an issue. SMDH.

What is it with Democrats and facts. Y’all have a 3” steel shield around your brains when it comes to them.

19. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

On NPR this morning, they found a family affected by the shutdown (interviewing just the wife/mother). She said the shutdown was affecting them because her government-employed husband is furloughed. The problem is that they're getting a divorce, and that he's supposed to move out of the house no later than April 1st, but without a paycheck he can't get a home-loan, and she can't just kick him out, but what are they going to tell their 4 year old since they've already told him daddy's moving out in April and now they don't know for sure, and, and, and...

I really could not believe they covered the story this way. It did not engender any particular sympathy from me. Just seemed a lot of babbling...

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Here are some walls funded in part with American tax dollars. Yet the Democrats tell us a wall isn’t feasible to build in order to protect American citizens. Liberals are a something kind of special.

5498266C-8B81-463E-89C6-A01E89CA92DA.jpeg