1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding Style - 500 GP to MotoGP

Discussion in 'General' started by spcassell, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Lol

2. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I'm sure they basically go around the track by themselves now. I heard that MM doesn't even have a throttle on his bike, it's all GPS controlled and he just leans. What a pussy that guy is!

SGVRider, scottn and TurboBlew like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

FTFY

4. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It spins. Ask Yamaha, it's been a problem for them. The smoke you see coming off the tires as the bikes exit the corner, what do you think produces that?

Why do all the GP riders talk about throttle control off the corners if the electronics take care of it?

5. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Exactly, there is also another thing that we're forgetting.

I'm not taking anything away from the past champions. There is no real way of knowing how good they would have been on today's machines. Some of them will have possessed the talent/skill to ride their bikes on the edge whether they produced 180HP or 280HP, others...maybe not, no way of knowing for sure. But it also works in reverse; could Marquez and Lorenzo ride 500GP bikes and win on them in the same way they did on current bikes....again no way of knowing, but I think Lorenzo's style would have been more compatible with the old bikes thaa Marquez's.

We all know Stoner said he turns the TC off, if that is true, then he and Rossi would probably be my first bets at champions who can win on a bike without electronics.

Electronics are so damn complicated though. If they are the source of the problems for Yamaha, why don't they just turn off the traction control and have Rossi and Vinales run the throttle themselves? I'd say maybe the engines are producing too much power now, it's impossible to control?

6. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You saw exactly what happened when current tc is shut off accidentally when Márquez hit Perdosa and severed his rear wheel speed sensor. He crashed the very next corner.

7. superdino

superdino Naturally aspirated twin-turbo

Doohan was an angry champion. Even before he won the title he was rabid, just plain loved the guy's aggressive demeanor. In '89 he got thrown right into the deep end as a rookie against reigning world champ Lawson, Schwantz, Rainey, Gardner, Mamola, Sarron, Spencer hanging on too. Did he wilt? No, rookie Mick got a podium against the deepest talent pool the sport has ever seen.

Those riding styles of that era, especially Mick's. So in charge, like hey the bike is probably going to unexpectedly leave a 20-foot black mark from the rear tire under acceleration, so why not sit up and be ready for it? Very different than now, as Marquez's elbow down and reversed letters on his leathers reveal in that photochop.

8. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I see the appeal of that argument, but it doesn't mean jackshit.

If you're riding your bike with TC on, and then it suddenly dies WITHOUT your knowledge, that is what's going to happen every time.
    The bike is no longer responding to your inputs the same way it did for the last 10 laps, a dramatic change has affected the power delivery to the rear wheel and that's why he crashed.

BSA43, badmoon692008 and zx6rfool like this.
  9. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Not having TC in the first place is completely different then having it shut off with out warning.
    ^Yeah!

10. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

11. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

When Zarco was asked about the differences between moto2 and motogp during his 1st year in the big class,he said:
    "In moto2 we were constantly talking about frame geometry,gearing etc. In motogp ,it's all about the electronics. "

I would LOVE to see them disappear,instead,they're spreading. :(

Dom17 likes this.
  12. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I wholeheartedly agree, but you can't stand in the face of the electronic revolution. Just like there was an industrial revolution.......the electronic revolution marches on.
    Who in their right mind could have guessed 25 years ago that you can get a racing suit with a built-in airbag that triggers when it senses you're crashing?
    As much as I would like them to be eliminated altogether, they are here to stay due to their facilitation of innovation.

13. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

It's amazing how the passage of time affects perception. When TC first started eliminating the more lurid slides on the new 4-stroke GP bikes, I was royally pissed that it killed the show. Now the show is (mostly) great and old 500GP video scares the shit out of me. Still fun to watch, but it looks batshit bonkers that we ever let them ride those evil things!

Razr likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How do you guys keep posting this shit with a straight face? :crackup:

PMooney Jr. and motion like this.
  15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Must be the Flu.

16. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I scratch my head everytime. It can't be un done either, it's just out there now. Forever. I have a hard time with it.

17. 600 dbl are

On a forum full of racers is what amazes me the most...

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Kind of like the ones who come on trying to find out how to brake and blip the throttle at the same time.

19. 600 dbl are

The key to that is the correct amount of eye squint.

K51000 likes this.
  20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I'm a nobody, but why is this rider in the pic SO crossed up? Just a brief moment of changing position? Trying to avoid riding into the back of the rider in front of him? What/Why?