1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding Style - 500 GP to MotoGP

Discussion in 'General' started by spcassell, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Why is it that the previous champs say that the current racers are better? Are the old guys on crack?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Rossi himself says that he's better than he ever was. And I don't know anyone who disagrees.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's faster than he ever was sure but better is debatable even if he thinks it's true. There's a lot to be said for young and dumb which he no longer is :D I meany just in general anyway not a specific age thing, you race long enough you get beat up and your aggressiveness is different along with a myriad of other things even if you are turning faster times.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

There’s a difference between racers with huge balls versus racers with deep technical skills and athleticism. I tend to think that the racers in the old days had huge balls to do what they did on that type of equipment and those tracks. I really don’t think you can draw a correlation between the two, as every variable was so different. Rossi is proof that the best of the previous era can still be the best of this era.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

True, and good points, but my $$ would still be on MM. I think he has taken the talent level another step. Stoner would be the closest to MM.

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Young kids are fast because they are too stupid to know any better.

:D

busa99 likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

His riding technique is better (or, at least, better suited to today's machinery), he has more experience, you said he's faster than ever, he crashes more than he used to (so his aggression level probably has not been eroded by the passage of time), he trains better… What exactly is left to debate?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Aggressiveness and killer instinct for me. Just watching him he doesn't seem to take the chances he used to - even if he does crash more.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

a lot of champions lost before they got old. im not gonna take the time to count, but id bet thats the majority. their prime ended because they lost, not because they got old.

I didnt say they couldn't learn those skills. I did say that it would probably take time, which goes against the original hypothetical already.

10. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

spotted on IG today..

[​IMG]

superdino likes this.
  11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

MV Agusta 500 6 cylinder.

12. He got an award for Biggest Loser from Italian media last week :)

13. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

None. Sure they were the best of the best on those bikes but who's to say they would have the ability to do it on modern stuff? Also I think that the level of commitment has gone through the roof in regards to anything athletic. Look at the workout and eating routines of the guys now, its insane.

14. Who? The guy who quit is better than the guys who didn’t?

15. 600 dbl are

You're a crackhead too :D

You think he quit because he lacked talent?

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

They would only need to adapt to how much easier the modern GP bikes (with all the electronic gizmos) are to go fast on, compared to 500cc two-strokes.

17. 600 dbl are

The "electronic gizmo's" make them safer, not easier to ride. There is nothing easy about riding a modern GP bike.

18. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

fucking this. there is exactly one person's opinion on this that really matters. that said....it's the off-season.:beer:

this dude named casey stoner shit all in that sock drawer. maybe your sniffer is broke. he raced a modern 1000 cc bike at the baddest ass track in the universe with most of the gizmos turned off and stomped out the field by ten seconds. call me a crackhead too if you like, (you'll just look even daffier) but i think he'd do pretty okay on a 180 horsepower lawnmower. :Poke: :D

that other guy. marquez? he seems pretty fast too. maybe up to the job

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

By far.

20. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

If you are exiting a corner on a modern GP bike and grab a handful of throttle, does the rear wheel start spinning, or do the electronics prevent that?