1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage LED Lighting Help

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Jan 8, 2019.

1. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

It was worth it to me to keep from pulling the old fixtures and dealing with refinishing around them.

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am using 4' - 70W light fixtures (4000k) from Hyperikon for workshops at work. They were set up to have cords coming in from the ends but I disassembled the fixture and drilled a hole to run power in from the hardwired box that the old lights were connected to. Total time to modify a fixture is about 15 minutes.

If you go this route I would get frosted covers unless they are up quite high. Clear covers did not diffuse the light that good and were almost painful if you happened to glance directly at the light.

3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

My current fixtures are screwed to the drywall and hard wired. Cutting out the ballast seems a lot easier than modifying a new fixture and drilling new holes in the drywall 12ft off the ground. I don't actually care about the fixture at all and I'm not really looking for more light, I just want my lights to come on when I flip the switch.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yep, sounds like the retrofit LED bulbs will be best for you. My garage is open beams/unfinished.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I switched all of our indoor lights to daylight LED's. HUGE difference.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

I got around 15 of those 4ft amazon leds in my barn now.

It’s a night and day difference

7. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

I got 10 of those Amazon ones. 4ft two bulb at 4100 lumens each. Going on the dyno side of the shop. The area is 36L x 18W with 12' ceiling. Haven't hung em yet. You think that'll do the trick? I think they're Sunco's or some shit like that.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh....stupid iphone...8' (EIGHT FOOT) not 8" EIGHT INCHES)....:)

BigBird likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

At that height i’d say one will cover 12x8 ft easy

My barn has all windows closed/dark. With the lights on it’s bright enough!

10. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I did all my garage lights 4 yrs ago.
    Cut out the ballast and strait wired to one end. Took maybe 15 min each.

Be sure to mark the old flour fixture which end is power and L-N polarity.

One of my basement rooms has a drop ceiling and I'm thinking about wiring in 2'x2' or 4'x4' led panels for more light working on bikes. :)

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Phl218 likes this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If you do that, have lamps with softer light that you can use in the evening, otherwise you’ll never get to sleep at night.

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just cut the wires as long as possible when pulling the ballast so you don't have to add more because you were a dummy - not that I'd ever do such a thing :crackup:

FWIW - I haven't yet but one light it was really close :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I went with dimmable and put a new switch for over the kitchen sink. For the fluro in there though it's full on operating room levels of light :D

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's not just that, it's the temp of the light. Daylight bulbs have a ton of blue light. Too much of that in the evening will make your brain think it's the middle of the afternoon and screw up your circadian rhythms.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah got ya, for normal bulbs I'd never go 4500k or more. I think the few I have are in the 3500k range. The kitchen stuff is all 4500 or better but if I'm in there I'm working.

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We have 2 lights in the kitchen that are still soft white, but they are on a different switch for that very reason.

18. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I upgraded to these last year:

8' Strips for 10' ceiling and the 2' for 14' ceilings

Attached Files:

19. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

These are the ones I've had for 3 years now. Absolutely perfect!

20. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I ordered these and they showed up Saturday but I didn't get a chance to install. I'll do it in the next couple days and update with results.