1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Seriously, when did eating a healthy balanced diet of nutrient dense foods that aren't highly processed become so difficult to stick with.

These days you see all kinds of people taking things to various extremes. Lately I've been seeing all these people espousing the benefits of a "carnivore diet". They literally eat nothing but meats and organs (sometimes raw, sometimes cooked). I guess you need something to balance out those hardcore militant vegans, lol.

2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Honestly it’s hard in North America to eat healthy....you actively have to avoid tons of places and foods specifically designed to appeal to your baser instincts.

Much easier in Europe. I spent a week in Spain and saw one McDonald’s. All their restaurants served good quality home cooked meals.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

^^This^^

Go to your local grocery store and look for items without sugar or sweetener of some sort. The best advice I ever heard on eating in an age of processed foods was “If your great great grandmother would not recognize it then you probably shouldn’t be eating it.”

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It’s because there’s SOOOOO much misinformation out there. It leads people to say “F it!” and eat all meat.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I disagree

It's exceedingly easy to eat healthy in NA. I've yet to land in a city where I can't pull out my phone, open Google Maps and find a Whole Foods or something comparable within a 20 minute drive from wherever I'm at. If you look for excuses (and all you see is fast food joints) then you will most assuredly find them. If you take an extra 5 minutes to find a healthier option they'll be staring right at you.

Hell even in a pinch I've been able to find a Boston Market in damn near any city and you can get a rotisserie chicken (or just get a couple pieces of white breast meat) and some steamed vegetables on the side. Or you can choose to only see the McDonalds across the street, get a Big Mac & fries and convince yourself it was your only option.

Again I disagree.

You're choosing to only see the things you want to see to fit your argument. The only markets I've ever been to that have almost entirely shit selections are bodegas in the hood. Even your run of the mill Shoprite, Stop n Shop, etc etc have organic and health food sections.

As I said, if you look for excuses, you will always find them.

G 97 likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You can even find “acceptable” options at most fast food joints if you know what to look for.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Kinda agree with this. I've did well with adjusting the quantity of what I eat, not what I eat. I still hit up Micky D's or Chick Filet. Just eat a small burger/small fry or 8 nuggets/small fry vs. going big. Similar with a steak joint, I still eat a steak and potato, but only have 1 roll instead of 4. Used to sip on sweet tea all day long. Now just 12 oz or so at dinner and water the rest of day. If I want a KitKat, I'll break off one stick and save the rest for the next day. That moderation in eating, along with trying to get in at least a mile of brisk walking every day, has me down 20 lbs, no longer on verge of being diabetic, down to half a pill for BP a day, as well as feeling better in general. Doc was impressed enough to cut back seeing me every 6 months to just a yearly visit. I know if I want to lose more, I'll have to make other changes and more activity, but I'm happy for now.

RichB and G 97 like this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

You are going to pay more and it will take more time but plenty of options to eat healthy buts it’s just not as convenient.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

McD's has a "artisan grilled chicken" that's pretty healthy. I get it without the bun and add cheese.

Sent from my smatrfone

10. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

It is not easy to eat healthy if you are poor - Not gonna go any further with that statement.

Just stick to the outside of the grocery store and don't wander the aisles - That's all you need to be healthy.

BigBird likes this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm not gonna lie. Eating healthier generally is not cheaper. From that perspective the US has great bang for buck when you are looking at it from a purely calories per dollar perspective. Not surprisingly obesity seems to be more prevalent in poorer neighborhoods which you would think would be counterintuitive but it really isn't. They have access to lots of cheap and calories dense (yet nutrient devoid) foods. So they are huge and malnourished (from a vitamin/mineral/nutrient standpoint) at the same time.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I hardly ever go shopping, hate it, Sunday I went to Walmart with the other half. Hadn't been in there in a while, they've expanded the food section and there was a shit load of tables loaded with every kind of bakery stuff you can imagine. Cakes,cupcakes, pies and on and on. Thought this is just what the typical Walmart shopper needs. :rolleyes:
    Give them credit, they know their market.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

This is totally me right now. I'm peeing on those sticks like 2x a day. I got a whole mess of them and I figure I'll be sick of this "lifestyle" within 60-90 days and then they'll just end up in the trash anyway but without pee all over them.

I am on day 14, chugging right along taking in 1,800-2,000 cal a day and I haven't had much true weight loss yet...maybe 1-2 pounds but it fluctuates. I am being pretty strict, prepping all my own food. Steak, eggs, sausage, chicken, bacon. Avocados, salad, broccoli and asparagus are my main foods. I've been drinking a bit more than normal, maybe 3x a week whiskey and club soda or water. I go back to work this week so that will trail off. My first time in the gym just sucked, I had no strength, but yesterday I did legs and I felt good, so things are starting to happen.

I'm training for a half marathon in 6 weeks, and I'm doing fine on the shorter runs, (maybe a little slow but not enough to blame purely on the diet.) But I did 8 miles at the end of last week and I was just totally flat after about mile 6.

Then yesterday I did legs in the morning, and in the evening I did my prescribed 4.5 mile run. Ran out of gas after 3.5 and walked the last mile. I was hurting, joints, muscles, just complete fatigue so I mainlined some pink salt. After an hour it was still no good so I ate a Poke bowl with Avocado, Tuna, some veggies, and 1/2 cup of black forbidden rice (no pun intended). I felt like a million bucks about an hour later. As of this morning I'm still in ketosis so we'll see what this week brings. I already prepped all my food for the week. Chicken, asparagus, broccoli. Some F-bombs for extra fat.

14. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Do NOT neglect your electrolytes - sodium, magnesium, potassium. You piss it out like mad and need more than average. I'd do some research on this - ketogains.com is a good place to start.

I probably get 900-1000 calories in a day - but I am pretty sedentary since taking leave from the FD and am just not hungry. I will hit the gym when I can, but life circumstances have prevented this much of the time. I have been stuffing fish and broccoli down like mad, to the abject horror of my six year old - seems to hit all the right spots though. My trainer got me back in on the fish kick and I feel like a million bucks lately.

Gino230 likes this.
  15. r1madman

r1madman Well-Known Member

Yep...typically if you stay on the periphery of most grocery stores and out of the aisles you'll be safe...typically

BigBird likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Healthiest and best shape I have EVER been in is when I was poor. Lettuce and vinegar for dressing is cheap. Carrots are cheap. Peanut butter for protein if meat was too much money that week. Lots of cheap healthy options, people actively choose not to go for them.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You don’t get it. What if healthy options is all that was available? How easy would it be to eat healthy then? Imagine if you didn’t have to google healthy stores...but walked into the nearest corner store and it was all local fresh produce, local fresh meat?

That’s how it is in Spain. In fact, processed foods, candy etc are expensive.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, but so are ramen noodles, canned soup, boxed meals, etc. Plus those processsed foods have an almost indefinite shelf life, so you can shop once or twice a month when you get paid and have food last.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't change my point in the slightest, you have to make the choice to eat the crap. FWIW cash money doesn't go bad, it'll last longer than the processed foods so you can buy more fresh when needed....

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No I get it. Perhaps the difference is to me is that I don't find a couple extra minutes to look something up and make a well informed decisions to be some sort of an insurmountable task.

Because every place that sells food doesn't sell the best food options is a reason to throw your hands up in defeat and relegate yourself to unhealthy eating and lifestyle choices???
    That makes no sense to me.

BTW, I find difficulty in believing the validity of your claims about Spanish cuisine choices.

https://www.eae.es/actualidad/notic...pain-will-rise-by-50-over-the-next-five-years
    https://www.thelocal.es/20160126/how-spains-healthy-diet-is-under-threat-from-fast-food
    http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/243326/Spain-WHO-Country-Profile.pdf