1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tats...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 7, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

...thoughts?

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

No regats here.

RRRepsolRider and Rebel635 like this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Meh. Do what you want, just don’t get tats that can’t be covered up by regular clothes so you can still appear respectable in the right situations.

DrA5 likes this.
  4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

“I love this tattoo!!” So why’d you put it on your back where you can’t see it?!

It’s a fad, like he said, but one you can’t back track.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It took me about fifteen years to find what I wanted for my one tattoo.

I finalized the design and put the drawing in a drawer for a year.

At the end of that year I still wanted it, just as it was.

I've had it for over 20 years. No regerts.

I am thinking about getting another one if me & my old lady make it to 30 years married... get a snippet of her EKG over my heart, and she gets a snippet of mine over hers.

Saccharine, I know. ;)

K51000 likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m not a big fan when a public servant like police have full sleeves while trying to look all tough and shit. No other private sector job with their responsibility would allow this. With this being said, more then a couple corporate board members at Harley have full sleeves but still they’re not charged with “protecting” the public.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Use a mirror (unless you’re a vampire)

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

A tat has what, exactly, to do with their ability to do the job?

K51000, stk0308 and TX Joose like this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Local SD doesn’t allow them. Everyone that has them has to cover them up with those stupid shooters sleeves. They look dumb.

G 97 likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

smooth, K51000, ineedanap and 2 others like this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

For a cop? It’s all about the uniform. Technically, being covered in food stains and having BO doesn’t have anything to do with their ability to do the job. They might even be able to write tickets in board shorts and a t shirt, but....

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

This has been a life long debate hasn’t it? Image? Social norms and what not?
    Go apply for a corporate job with a full sleeve and find out the results.

With this being said, I guess I’m a hypocrite as I have multiple ones.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid:

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

The cum dumpster tat wasn't so bad. (Wait for the IYC outrage) :D

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

He says to the corporate HR guy ...

You understand that you gave examples of corporate board members that have full sleeves in your own post, right?

Welcome to the new era, Methuselah. Outside of facial tats, it doesn’t even faze most people nowadays

K51000 and stk0308 like this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ehhh...do what you want. I don't have to live with your decisions...you do. If you want an image of Mel Torme on your butt cheek then knock yourself out.

beac83, gixxerreese and G 97 like this.
  18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes. For Harley-Davidson. Not your typical corporation with regards to their product and life style image etc.

I can tell you first hand that there ain’t one dude rocking any visible tats at Deere & Co. on the second floor of East Moline or in the entire building for that matter.

I understand the new area but it still doesn’t change the reality of there still being some very conservative companies.

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

With all due repect to the video guy, I have a hard time calling tattoos a "fad" They are no more a fad than Harleys were or were not a few years ago for lawyers and such. While experiencing a short or mid term resurgence, the underlying years of people buying and riding Harleys was always there and always will be.

Keep in mind;

1. Tattoos date from 3250 BCE or earlier. Not quite a new thing.
    2. Tattooing has been practiced in over 70% of the countries on earth.
    3. 13 of the largest countries have population tattoo rates from 25%. Italy #1 @ 28%, US #3 @ 26%.
    4. 25,000+ tattoo shops exist in the US alone, the oldest dating to 1927.
    5. Its a $1.75bil industry in the US and has been at least $1bil for 20 years.

While tattoos have certainly seen a huge resurgence in the last 15 years or so, I don't believe that is as much a fad as it is a reflection of changing social standards coupled with excellent marketing and adaptability by the industry itself.

I respect the old guys opinion but he is defining what a tattoo means through the prism that he holds. You cant do that with something as personal and everlasting as a artwork. Yes, there are still many people who get them without thinking through what they really mean, which is something everlasting and with huge impact on some interactions you may have in life. Its more than picking some cool art or the latest cartoon character. From moron to newbie, tattoo collector to single event customer, tattooing represents a diverse group of people and not just the hipster that this guy believes.

**full disclosure: I have about $4,000 on me and while not an advocate or detractor of anybody else getting one, I truly love mine which tell the story of my journey. YMMV and I respect any and all opinions on the matter.

K51000 likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

@Fonda Dix glad you found the correct thread. LOL.

Fonda Dix likes this.