1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Sorry - I had to nuke everything. I got outed from my on duty Christmas selfie on imgur and per department protocol had to completely erase every post. :(

Unless it was hosted elsewhere...I dunno what I linked up here.

Gino230 likes this.
  2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I do lift 2-3x a week, but I also do 2-3 runs or cycling sessions as well and I’m more concerned with keeping the endurance and strength I have built.

3. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Status update for me:
    I just had my physical with the fire Dept last week.... although I fell out if keto about a month ago. I watch what I eat more now and still limit my carbs to a lower level than before I started this. I went from 26% body fat and 210#'s to 190 and 18%. I was at 185 and dropping when I was cycling 2-3 days a week, but I haven't in a month due to letting the shop and fire department take up my cycling time. My cholesterol is the same as last year, 240 total and ldl was 168...so those two haven't gone up or down....but my good has went up a lot..can't remember right this second. So since May/Jun when I started this I have lost a lot off my waist and satisfied with what I have done....need to get back to pedalling so I can lean out some more.
    Oh and @Gino230 I always used sugar in coffee and tea before I started this....now I can't stand sweet tea or coffee w sugar. I use heavy cream in my coffee and drink unsweet tea...and actually enjoy it.

Gino230 and BigBird like this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sounds about right. It definitely opened up my eyes and my family on what's in the food we eat. Also, I used to love a holiday *$ latte with all their crap in it, but definitely not any longer. One of the reasons I want my own latte maker.

Sent from my smatrfone

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It's been a week, and according to the pee sticks I'm in Ketosis. After about 4 days I was showing a trace to 1.5 on the sticks. Now I'm at 4.0.

Does it matter how "deep" into ketosis I am? It doesn't have anything to do with becoming "fat adapted", right?

I know it is early in the process, but I am definitely weaker in the gym and slower on the runs. I am taking in the same level of calories, about 2,000. I prepped all my food, and I will say the biggest difference is the volume of food. I am eating alot more food- Brussels sprouts, salad with oil and vinegar, steak, Italian sausage and peppers with onions and garlic. 1/2 tsp pink salt every morning and that alleviated the headaches. Couple of NUUN tablets a day.

I have done some drinking (wine, whiskey and club soda) and I haven't gotten kicked out of ketosis so I guess that's good. I did some jello shots on New Year's eve (don't ask) and that kicked me down to trace levels of ketones for about 8 hours. Bowels have definitely slowed down a good bit (insert poop emoji here).

I am training for a half marathon in mid Feb, I hope my energy levels come back by then.

I don't know if the Keto lifestyle is for me long term, but it has definitely opened my eyes on how many foods I can do without. i.e. sugar and bread. Staying off rice is going to be hard...I love me my Poke Bowls.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Ketone levels don’t really measure level of ketosis, they measure levels of unburned ketones in your blood.

Lots of endurance athletes do keto. You’ll be fine. As a test, don’t carb up. Just run.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

the hard alcohol is fine as it has no real carbs, but watch the beer. Also, it will take a lot less liquor for you to get buzzed, and even one beer now and I feel like I have a hangover in the morning, and that's with charcoal pills.

sounds like you're doing the right things. at the beginning it's the worst energy feeling as your body does the switching from carb to fat.

9. r1madman

r1madman Well-Known Member

Same...I ditched sugar in my coffee long ago and went to just a splash of sweetened creamer before switching to keto but now I look forward to, not gonna lie...several cups a day... of black coffee with some well shaken heavy cream...just like a latte

BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Same. Think that's why I want a latte maker now. I also found a lightly sweetened whip cream that has like 1g carb that I use for one in my first cup of the day. Gives me something to look forward to

Sent from my smatrfone

11. r1madman

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    BigBird likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Now you have to pee on sticks to be on a diet? Y'all cultists are truly strange :D

13. CausticYarn

You don't HAVE to.
    Lots of people do it because it keeps their ape brains excited about something :p

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those would be the cultists.... :D

I can lose weight doing a ketoesque thing, never had the urge to pee on sticks or tell everyone how they should eat that way no matter what.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Again it’s all about calorie intake vs. metabolism. Born more calories then what you intake and you will lose weight.
    Nothing else matters.

16. CausticYarn

If you just want to lose weight, sure.
    How you feel from what you stuff in your pie hole matters too.
    I feel like crap when I jockey the carbs because I go on a blood sugar roller coaster that could rival the stomach drop of diving out of a plane. Doesn't matter if it's from junk sugar, fruit, or grains - it all fucks me up and forces me to keep cramming carbs all day to stay awake.
    I'm rail thin these days but stay low carb because of the bloodsugar stability.

But IDGAF what anyone else does :)

BigBird likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

That’s my whole point. Eat a balanced diet and don’t over eat.
    No need to carb balance, count calories, pee on cheerios etc.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What I eat absolutely changes how I feel. My main issue is exhaustion when I don't eat all day - which is then countered by eating WAY too much at one sitting. Cutting carbs actually had me eating more often but less at a time due in huge part to paying more attention, probably should do it again.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Same here, big exception is at the movies. Popcorn and nachos/cheese are my kryptonite. I'll take the roller coaster for that.

Sent from my smatrfone

r1madman likes this.
  20. r1madman

Same same… keto all day err day, but just can't hit the movies without the popcorn lol

BigBird likes this.