1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marvel Mistry Oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Will929, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Will929

Will929 Well-Known Member

This may have been asked in the past, and I’m sure it will get a few laughs, but here it is again. Is it good to put Marvel Mystry Oil in the gas tank, and mix it with the engine oil...as long as it’s done per manufactures directions? Or is it basically snake oil?

The bike is a 2017 R6.

2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I wouldn't do it. It used to be a popular thing in diesel trucks when people wanted to up the lubricity of the fuel to make their injectors last longer. Somebody paid to have it actually tested and it cut the lubricity of the diesel fuel. If it reduces diesel fuel I can't imagine it doing anything good for your engine oil.

Short version: Snake oil IMO

3. Will929

Yeah I figured it was kinda bogus. I’m always a little skeptical with products like this. Figured I ask people who might have some first hand experience. Thanks.

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

In all seriousness, any of the good name motorcycle oils will give you all you need, no need to add anything to them. Just pick a good one and run with it.

5. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I use it to clean parts. I've cleaned cases with it and other parts, but I've always cleaned them with something else before I reassembled. I had some on my hands once when cleaning engine cases and I picked up one of my rods to move it. It took part of the Carrillo logo off the rod. The stuff is an aggressive cleaner.

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  6. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Huh? That logo is laser etched on there.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

MMO is the best cleaner I know of for cylinders after honing them. It is basically detergent motor oil. Most engine builders I know (old guys) use it. I would never put it in fuel.

lonewrench likes this.
  8. I always have it around to clean stuff, never added it to anything though.

9. Will929

Sounds good fellas. I don’t remember hearing about this stuff, Im sure I have seen somewhere though. I was curious about it after a friend says he uses it in his car. I think I’ll keep it around as a cleaner, and keep it out of the bikes and truck. Thanks again

10. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Makes a great cleaner, if you put it in your motor oil it will clean any built up gunk or burnt oil off. Great for reviving GM hydraulic lifters.

YoshiHNS and lonewrench like this.
  11. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

This was 8-10 years ago, so the process might have been different. Logo was black. I had on a pair of nitrile gloves and picked the rod up. The spot where my thumb touched the rod had been partially removed when I layed it back down.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

It's like 30% mineral spirits isn't it? Sounds like just a regular oil base thinned with a cleaning solvent. Putting that in my oil? Not in my shit. If i need to "revive" something it's getting revived in the scrap bin and replaced.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Better than a qt. of ATF ?

14. Marid2apterbilt

Never tried ATF.

15. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yes

Marvel became popular when parrafin oils were a big issue and really helped aleve problems stemming from it. Still has its place today but not in motorcycle engines.
    I use it for pre assembly cleanup like others.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I haven't either but was going to try it next oil change. Several guys on here do it and swear by it. Qt. of atf in the oil and run it for 20 minutes before a change. My trucks a 04 with 160,000 on it, figure it might clean out some crud. MM oil might be better yet ?

17. Marid2apterbilt

I put half a quart of MMO in my oil for some hydraulic lifters tapping. Changed oil a few hundred miles later. It will clean out all the burnt oil residue. Which is what I figured was making my lifters stick.
    96 GMC k1500 235,000 miles. Runs smooth as butter and oil looks almost new several thousand miles after a change. :) Not black 500 miles later. :)

YoshiHNS likes this.
  18. Marid2apterbilt

ATF is similar to brake fluid. It's just a hydraulic hitemp oil with lots of detergents. Although not as caustic as brake fluid.

ATF is also great if you're hands are really grimy and greasy from working on a dirty old leaky vehicle. Great precleaner before using gojo. :)

19. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I have used it for years in my old pushrod motors Triumph, BSAs and Harleys. I have found that the valves do not sink into the heads as bad on the triumph. I would not put into the gas of a 2017 R6.

Will929 likes this.
  20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Not so much.... Very, Very different chemicals.

Britt and pscook like this.