1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Federal Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Jan 3, 2019.

1. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's being referenced in other threads, but there is no central discussion.

1) Anyone taking bets on how long it might last? The record is 21 days, and we're already at 13 I believe.

2) Who is gonna cave (the most)? Both sides will have to cave somewhat, but if it isn't near 50/50 then one side or the other looks weak and a fool. Trump, don't be a fool.

3) If you're gonna go all in, then for heaven's sake, go all in! Trump, if you're serious, then it doesn't matter if this lasts 90 days or more, do not sign off on any spending bills without border wall funding.

4) He really should have done this during the last two years when Republicans were in control. Kinda dumb to do it now if you ask me. He didn't have votes then, what makes him think he has them now? He should have blackmailed his own party to get this done before now...

5) I'm seeing articles stating that we're all about to really notice this. If I had to guess, I'd say less than 10% of the population is both aware of the shutdown (those who follow the news), and can state how it's actually affecting them. I've always been aware of them cause I read news, but I've never noticed any effect whatsoever. How about you?

Those are basically my thoughts on it. Not sure why he's done it now, and not in the last two years, but if you're gonna do it, do it all the way. Haven't the government workers that are affected file for unemployment (or something similar). None of the rest of us have job guarantees either (except tenured professors, but that's another discussion altogether)...

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

#4 :beer:

If he is going to win Trump needs to start pointing out to various Democrat constituents how the party is choosing illegal aliens over them. For instance start saying how enforcement and the improved economy has helped black people while illegals hurt the poorest blacks the worst.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    galloway840 likes this.
  3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

He's colluding with the Russians about this, it's a certainty.

_indy likes this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Trump, without a doubt.

5. galloway840

Care to elaborate, or just being funny? I mean sure, he might be... :)

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The party of obstruction and hatred of America owns the media, so there is no way Trump's message will ever be properly conveyed.

7. galloway840

Yeah, that's what I fear. Why even bother with the charade if you're gonna cave in the long run?

What I'd like to know is what is on his immediate agenda that is more important than this, that he needs the democratically controlled house to work with him on, and that they also support and will work with him? My guess is nothing. So, let it roll on as it is. Government is "shut down" so to speak, and he doesn't make any more or less progress on anything of importance to him anyway.

8. galloway840

You're right, but more and more people are pretty distrustful of the MSM. He did get elected after all...

kangasj and brex like this.
  9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Well, I’m surprised how much it’s been affecting me. I have client who owes us a significant amount of money, but due to the shutdown his sba/usda loan processing has just stopped.

In addition we have a potential for a new large client (local municipality), but they need us to provide our e-verify information. Since we’re less than 10 employees we aren’t required to have it federally, but GA put in a no compromise requirement years ago. Due to the shutdown we cannot apply to get an account, to get an ID to provide the proper paperwork for this new client.

I’m hopeful they get something, even a partial something, fixed soon.

*sigh*

10. galloway840

Sorry to hear that, Thrak.

Not to get too far into the weeds, but how does it work that someone owes you a lot of money, but needs to take out a loan to pay you? I am not familiar with sba/usda loans...

Good luck with the e-verify stuff.

11. thrak410

In this case it’s a construction loan that (we) vendors have to take draws from. So, he didn’t get a loan to just pay us, but we’re part of a much larger project and just happen to be caught up in this mess. In the end it’s basically a timing thing, but it still sucks since we expected it before year end.

BigBird and galloway840 like this.
  12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yeah, I have something similar, but not as damaging as yours. Sorry bro.

The bad thing about my situation is that this lady has sit on her ass for 6 months, when it should have taken 1 month tops. Now we have a one page document to complete our claim and the office is closed. I hate federals.

If not for your situation, I would wish that they would close forever.

13. thrak410

Thx guys, I hate the gov. too, and it kinda proves the point that they’re way bigger than they should be. I’m sure it’s affecting many many more, it’s just that these stories don’t get told. It’s the national parks being closed and crap like that.

14. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

People with a brain have learned to bypass all that anyway. Liberals and the French are the only ones that still think CNN is actual news.

kangasj, speeddaddy and brex like this.
  15. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

6) Let's not "re open" the gov.

I vote this one! :p

ToofPic and R Acree like this.
  16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have friends that are impacted as government contractors. They are forced to use up their leave.

My wife works for a Federal Agency that is not funded by congress and so they are open for business. But they work with other agencies that are closed, so it is impacting her ability to get work done.

You want progress on the tariff negotiations? That I believe much of that is done through the Commerce Department and those employees are most likely impacted by the shutdown.

As stated above, it impacts tourism with shutdowns as national parks and many of the DC tourists destinations. One idiotic part is having to keep park service employees working, who in theory are not working because there is no funding, so they can tell people the outdoor monuments like the Lincoln Memorial are closed.

The longer this goes on, the more things run out of funding and the more impact there will be. It will begin impacting the economy. It has already impacted the stock market and not in a good way. If this gets into tax season and folks are not getting their tax refunds because there is no one to process the returns, the heat will be turned up big time to get this resolved.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good. Fund the wall and we can open this back up.

VFR#52, cav115, BHP41 and 3 others like this.
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Whatever happens, I hope for once it’s the left that has to give. It seems like the pubs are always the responsible parent that caves to the whiny brat libs, which is why those bastards have been able to push as far as they have.

VFR#52 and brex like this.
  19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Fund the wall, don't fund the wall I don't really care that much one way or the other. Illegal aliens and drugs will still cross the border. It might slow the flow and/or make it more expensive to accomplish, so I guess that is good. I was just listing some of the way people are impacted. I am sure there are many more.

The reason the Republicans have to cave is because the Liberals have most of the press on their side. It isn't fair, but it is reality.

20. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

In a 4+ Trillion (with a T) dollar annual budget, the guy wants 6 billion to build one of his primary campaign promises. This is Nancy and Chuck being stubborn little bitches to deprive him a victory of any sorts.
    Leave it fucking closed. The longer it is and people realize not many of them are impacted, the better it is for us small government proponents.