1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ah, Finks, they are okay.
    Go in, look at other higher dollar watches. If your goal is to eventually get a Rolex, tell them so. Then go look at the cheaper watches. Look at the one you want and and ask them the price. If you get 10% off on your first watch with them you aren't doing too bad. If you get more, don't dick them around and buy it.
    They hate when people work pricing with them and then leave "to think about it." If you negotiate and get a deal, buy it. If you don't, don't be afraid to walk away.

You want to build a long term relationship with them. Tell them that. ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Supergirl likes this.
  2. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

That's good advice. I actually walked over with her and talked Rolex for a few minutes before I left. But I was candid that I'm not even considering that market yet.

Here's where I struggle...I'm cheap. I know you can understand. So even at 20% off, I'm still spending about $200 more than I would by buying from Joma. So what do I get from the AD that makes it worth that value? I want to make sure that I have a real product, that might be able to be registered with the manufacturer even if there's no warranty. But is the only difference the warranty? That's only two years, so I could still send it in for service or repair after that on my own dime just like one from the AD, right? This is a market that I'm new to...

3. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Benifit is long term relationship and future discounts, better service and first in line for new releases.

If your not planning on buy many things over time then no use going there, save your bucks and hit up Joma.

But if you see yourself buying a watch or peice of jewelry per year or every 18 months, shop the local AD.

4. peakpowersports

Just go in again and be honest. Tell them the watch you want to buy and that you want to build a long term relationship with them as they are local. Tell them the price you found for it elsewhere and that you do understand there is value to purchasing it from them and that you understand they wont be able to completely match the price. Then ask what they could do for you. Have the number in mind going in where you would buy or walk. Be polite and hold your line if it's more of a premium than your willing to spend.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Boom and boom! PPS hit it dead on with those two posts. :up: :cool:

6. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. That's what I needed. I have no intention of buying anything from a Jewelry store that often, so I don't think I need the personal relationship. But I'll go in and be honest with the sales rep to see what they can do. I don't mind paying a little more for it to come from an AD.

7. peakpowersports

Opinion needed:

On my new Seiko, should I go full brushed bracelet or polished center? I'm on the fence, digging the polished as it will provide a bit more shine, but I cant decide. Help!

Here is a pic on brushed
    [​IMG]

Here is the polished center:
    [​IMG]

8. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I like the polished center bracelets. I have a couple of them.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That is freakin' cool. how much would you be in with the watch and the polished center bracelet? I'm looking for a 007 but might go with the "pepsi" instead but I was thinking of putting it on a NATO but that might have changed my mind.

10. peakpowersports

Watch was about $325. It was a new release in 2018 - Seiko SRPC41 (dubbed the "mini turtle"). Not available in the states so you have to go grey market. They have it in black bezel/face, blue bezel/face and the Pepsi (PADI limited edition - the one I have). The polished center bracelet $125, the brushed is like $90.

This watch has shelfed my 007 honestly. Its a lot more comfortable than the 007. Same overall size but the case shape makes it wear smaller. Also I like that has a 20mm lug width vs the 22mm of the 007. Movement also has hacking and winding where the 007 does not.

I have since removed the cyclops - didn't really like it and was on the fence but then it got a good scrape in it so its gone and made it look a ton better.

11. peakpowersports

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I like the brushed as it fits the brush of the watch head better. Both would look good on that watch though.

Good move on the cyclops. I hate, hate, hate them. hate.

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I don’t have an opinion, except that you need to stop posting pics of that SRP before it costs me money. I’ve wanted a cushion cased Seiko diver forever, and that new one is dope.

14. peakpowersports

:) I promise I'll only post pic's once its on new straps then I will let it rest. That is of course until I get the blue dial/bezel version as that has me hot and heavy! I've really found a love for Seiko divers as of late.

JBraun likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like them, like, like, like, like :D

Mainly because dads has always had it and that is the watch all others get compared to :D

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That's why America is so great.

You're allowed to be wrong

:D

renegade17 and Jedb like this.
  17. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Stupid question, how did you remove the cyclops and is that an ok thing to do on a Rolex? I hate the Cyclops, to the point i don't want a watch with a date function to avoid it.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

it's okay to do on a Rolex if you plan on keeping it. Resale suffers.

19. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

So how is it removed? Sanded then polished?

Otherwise you jackholes have me surfing
    https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=air+king because I like the smaller size, no date, and ones with no numbers at all, just tick marks. This old one makes my heart skip a beat... beautiful in my eyes....

Linky

And with a leather strap it'd be even better

20. peakpowersports

Just put some heat to it and they slide off. Plenty of youtube videos on it. I used a regular Bic lighter. Probably 15 to 20 seconds in the flame then scrap it with a razor knife. Hit it with some goo gone to remove the left over adhesive. Same process for Rolex or anything with a sapphire/hardlex/mineral crystal. Do not do this if its an older watch or something still manufactured with a Hesalite/Plastic crystal as they will melt.

Also, for $2800 you should be able to easily find a newer 14000 series Air King, perhaps even newer than that. I see 1500 series Air Kings around $1500-$2000 if your not in a hurry. If you want something a tad bigger, the newish (2016?) Oyster Perpetual is fantastic. No date, 39mm. New they can be had around 5k, used around 4ish.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019