1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dicks Sporting Goods (Field & Stream) to stop selling Assault-Style Rifles

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by rcarson15, Feb 28, 2018.

1. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Seems right. Make stupid decisions, pay the price.

Ducti89 likes this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Essentially they want to become Foot Locker. Good luck with that.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Gonna have to seriously downsize some leases to pull that off.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

At the pace they're going it won't be long. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

6. wood600rr

wood600rr Well-Known Member

Meh...I wouldn't normally buy guns from them anyway, we have an awesome local shop here that everyone uses for guns, ammo, knives, etc.

I do like Dick's golf section in my town and will continue to use them for that.

7. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

It wasn't just their decision to stop selling guns and possibly now hunting equipment, but the fact that they spent their money to actively lobby against the firearm industry. Their company and their decision to make, but seems pretty dumb to me. I wasn't going to boycott them over just ceasing to sell something, that's their right, but if they are going to spend their profits to try to hurt my 2nd amendment rights, then they aren't going to see another penny from me.

blkduc, Ducti89, MikeR and 3 others like this.
  8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

This.

Had they just quietly started pulling assault rifles I doubt it would have had a huge impact. But they made their stance very public and politicized it. As a business I believe its always best practice to keep you politics and religion quiet. I want to buy products, not hear your stance.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Regarding their CFO's comments about the decline, sure, that's all something to take into consideration when making their reports...but the average retail shopper doesn't know that stuff nor care about it when all they hear is "We won't sell guns, ammo or hunting equipment."
    They've shot themselves in the foot and are now taking aim at their other foot.
    Dumbasses. There are better places to buy shoes, anyway. Like Dunham's, for example...who also manage to stay in business despite selling guns, ammo and hunting gear.
    Bye, Dick.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Aren't guns really high margin items? How many libtards refuse to shop at Dunhams and Academy because they do sell guns? I bet hardly any - they just don't go into that section.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Dunham's always make me think they are the K-mart of sporting goods. I suppose they have their place in the market but I'm going with my local vendors for all my sporting goods.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same reason I will never shop REI - they actively promote orgs that hate any sort of motorized vehicles and some even hate any human use of public lands.

jrsamples, socalrider and stk0308 like this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There are a few of those "feel good orgs" that are popularly supported among the green crowd but if you look into them, their actual goals are pretty sinister. Humane Society of the United States is one. On the surface it seems like they want to help animals, but in reality they want to end domestication of all animals or something crazy like that.

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Obama appointed the REI CEO to his cabinet. She was Sec of Interior and went about closing down as much land for recreational use as she could...it was her stated focus.

jrsamples likes this.
  15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They also stopped selling products that were distributed by the same umbrella company that owned Savage even though those products weren't associated with firearms in any way such as bell helmets, camelback, and giro.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That may not have been their decision. That may have been repercussions from not selling the firearms.

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

REI never sold firearms as far as I can remember. It was REI's decision to not sell anything Vista sold because they also owned firearms and ammo companies.

Newsshooter likes this.
  18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I may have missed the change in outlets. I thought we were talking about Dick's Sporting goods. My bad.

19. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

But, but, but REI does sell Giro, Camelback, and Bell. Am I missing something?

20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

They may had changed their mind on that, dunno. But the news on the gun board when the REI CEO opened their mouth about not selling anything from Vista anymore unless Vista sold off Savage Arms.

Steeltoe likes this.