1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had a hip arthoscopy?

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Oct 25, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

cycling is what pretty much escalated my hip issues rapidly. Never had pain til I wanted to get good exercise for the upcoming motorcycle year, and tried cycling since I have balky knees. Eventually had pain near the groin and lower back, and thought it was a fit issue with the bike, but it was just a nice torn labrum :(

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve.

3. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I felt some bad stuff one day running ( I was cycling tons and running just a bit , like 300 miles a week on the bike and running like 10 miles a week ) , pedaling I knew it was there , just a little sore . Kinda doing very little on the bike , like 80 miles or so a week and it’s certainly getting worse on the good hip . Not sure if the bike is making it worse or lack of exercise is the cause once it gets to a certain point . Bike is setup with short cranks , higher then I should have the seat and bars are high with a uncut steer tube . Not very aero one bit ... lol

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

the bike didn't matter after a while. I started on a hybrid and that was ok, then went to a road bike, and that was when I felt it most, after many different fittings. Gave myself like 6 months off, did the hybrid alone, and well nothing improved. walking, pushing the stroller, lifting boxes, all hurt. so eventually I had no choice but to try something .

5. knedragon29

That's where i'm at , little more then 2 months away for the new hardware and then setup for the other side. Scared to do bilateral at the same time. Although this Doc has done numerous 2 days apart

BigBird likes this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

A bit torn on what to do here.

I currently have both surgeries scheduled for Q1 of this year.

I met with the local ortho surgeon, who is very experienced and does about 240 of these hip arthroscopies a year. Has the right Fellowship credentials, etc. He said I'm an excellent candidate for this surgery if I have pain, as the impingement is pretty severe in both hips, and there's evidence of a labral tear, but the labral tear won't be 100% confirmed unless he gets in the joint for himself and can see what's going on. But, if I don't have pain he can't advise me to do the surgery.

The thing is, I don't have any daily pain. In fact, I have no pain at all outside of the motorcycle. I can front squat, deadlift, ride my mountain bike, etc. with zero issue.

This surgery will cost me roughly $3,500 before my out-of-pocket limit is reached, and there will be a few grand tacked on to that number as I work in sales and the recovery time will definitely inhibit my ability to make my monthly budget.

I dunno, I'm just struggling to justify this surgery for a hobby. It's a hobby I love, but I'm just a lowly intermediate rider and I'm not in a great area for track days.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

I love riding motorcycles on track , but the hips have gotten in the way. Once you start opening stuff up, you never know how it ends up.

If I was in your shoes, I would probably not do the surgery.

KneeDragger_c69 and Senna like this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It's an amazing activity - very little in life compares. My nearest preferred track is 5+ hours away, however. There's a track much closer at 2 hours away, but the track is pretty rough.

I'm close to coming to the same conclusion as you - I was discussing it with my dad a bit ago, and he asked me, "how would you feel to go through all the surgery and rehab and spend a ton of cash, only to find no improvement on the bike?"

There definitely aren't any guarantees with this surgery, although I do think it would help to some extent or another.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

the biggest con for me, is that the surgery can/will interfere with your livelihood.

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yep, it's a big negative.

I've all but decided to forego surgery and instead focus on PT, hitting the weights hard, and proper supplementation. Hopefully that can mitigate the symptoms on the bike.

11. knedragon29

My first hip resurfacing/hip anthroplasty (pretty much same a replacement ) is setup for next Friday, when I'm up there I need to figure out what to do with hip #2. With the cash I'm laying out with deductible and cash out along with the better hip starting to go more south I really have no choice. Probably gonna fix up a shoulder that's giving me fits as well! Funny thing is the doc doesn't really push P/T. Just some basic isometrics at first along with walking. Wants a mile with in 6 weeks post op. No lifting or bending more then 90 degrees for a good bit. Full recovery is 6 months ( resurfacing they clean up the ball, drill a hole down it and cap it with their device, so the femoral neck is the weak spot)

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. knedragon29

Sucks, I gotta send him to see Dr Gross! So far so good. Some swelling and pain all around the joint but overall the joint pain is gone and my lower back pain ( even though i'm pretty much sitting around this whole week on the mend ) is gone as well.

BigBird likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

that's very awesome. I may need him myself soon enough again.

so you had like a replacement, but not one?

15. knedragon29

Its a full replacement. They call it resurfacing. Its just not the traditional way of doing it where they cut the top of the femur off and run the spike 8 inches into it. Its metal on metal. Hip Post.jpg

BigBird likes this.
  16. knedragon29

Everything was setup via phone,email etc. I'm in South Florida , Doc is in Columbia ,South Carolina. Dr Thomas Gross ( Midland Orthopaedics) Took some initial x-rays and filled out their new patient forms. Mailed them up to him. He called back about 2 weeks later and set up a date ( which I kinda dropped the ball cause I should have set the other side around 5-6 weeks later). I didn't want to do the bilateral too close just cause of the logistics of getting around and work and that kinda stuff. This is out patient performed in their surgery center. Walked in at 6 am , on the table around 7 ( I don't remember shit after 630 , woke up about 930-10. They let my girl in the recovery room around 11 , ate some lunch and was up walking at 1130-12 . Went back to the hotel at 230. Left and drove home ( I was the passenger of course )the following morning. So far this week ( surgery was 1/4/19 ) just taking it easy. Going from point a to point b thru the house with crutches but weight bearing. Leg has swollen a bit the past 3-4 days but the swelling is going down each day, turning all kinds of fancy colors of course. The left one may be going in a bit early but I know its not gonna get better and the one I just did I should have done 2 years ago.

BigBird likes this.
  17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

How is your recovery going now?

18. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

A year ago I had my left hip replaced, prior to the operation it felt like a knife was jabbing me every other step. It was done as an out patient surgery and I ate supper at home that night. Lots of Physical therapy and i can do most anything except dance. Couldn’t dance before. Big life improvement. But be very aware sometimes there is an infection after surgery and sometimes there is infections from such things as going to the dentist. The horrible thing with an infection is that you don’t get just another surgery, it takes 2 different surgeries to clean out the joint. I know of 2 guys who have been through this. So do not enter into this without a lot of thought. Good luck

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks Kyle. I've ruled out having the surgery for the time being as my hips don't limit me in anything outside of motorcycle riding.

This season, I'm working on some positioning stuff on the bike and lots of PT, lifting and cycling to hopefully alleviate the pain to a tolerable level. I believe the primary culprit right now is the width of the frame and/or tank on my GSXR, so the solution may be stepping down to a smaller twin bike to reduce the outward angle. I'm going to sit on some bikes at my local dealers and see if any of them help with the issue. I never really had any issues on my old Ninja 300, so I may sell off the GSXR and move to an R3 or something for track use.

20. knedragon29

So far so good , left hip is 3 weeks post op tomorrow! Just starting to get around and walking 1/2 mile no aids at one shot. First one is kinda on hold a little with PT but I'm doing more exercises with it. The left I'm just doing basic stuff, little isometrics and leg slides/raises. Gotta wait till the 6 week mark and then I can do some new stuff along with some stretches , spinning , oliptical. Everything thing was easier on the 2nd side just seems to be taking longer! Just a waiting game after that. Doc says he wants me to give him 6 months ( mostly for the muscles and ligaments around the hip implant to fully heal) and I can pretty much do what ever I want, no restrictions on the hip resurfacings. I have no more joint pain and my lower back pain is completely gone as an added bonus! Around the joint is sore , both sides still. Mostly my lower glute and around the outside by the incision. I guess there's some stuff around there that was aggravated during surgery (ligament/muscle) and will reside in a little more time. They did a check up on the first side when I was there and everything is great, haven't had this much ROM in the last 5-8 years!
    You all set on ur journey?

BigBird likes this.