1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bow Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Dec 26, 2018.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting a compound bow just for fun after trying a friend's Bowtech bow a couple years ago. This will be just for fun/target shooting for me. Our range has an area for archery. I know nothing about bows. What are some things to look for or consider when buying one? I would like to keep it under $500. This one at Bass Pro caught my attention. Any recommendations?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Cabelas-Dash-RTH-Compound-Bow-Package

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Subscribed

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This one, if you can find it...

[​IMG]

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Compound bows have come a long way since I bought mine 22 years ago. The amazing amount of let off is what is impressive. I remember trying to hold 70#'s for an extended shot.....

5. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Bought a Diamond Edge Pro from Cabelas a couple years ago. Works fine for a "beginners bow". Dont shoot it much, so didnt feel like dropping 600 on a Matthews.

Indoor archery place here is run by an arrogant asshole. Last visit was my last time. I'll drive the hour and 15 mins to the public range before I'd give that asshole 10 bucks.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did he make fun of your budget bow?

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I sold my compound in the 90s. You aren't kidding the new tech is amazing.

I was watching Hoyt's testing video the other day where they dry fire thousands of times. That used to be a recipe for an injury!

8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Diamond Edge SB-1 is one that has caught my attention. Good reviews as an entry level bow and only $400.

9. I was going to try this out but my shoulder is so fucked I can’t do it. My friends who do it say to go get sized at a shop for your draw length which makes a huge difference and not just buy some random bow online.

SundaySocial and tdelegram like this.
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Why not a crossbow? Only reason I didn't hunt with one was they were illegal to hunt with at the time. Seems to have changed since then.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep.
    Ive been out for hunting for years here in MI. Now that im back i see crossbows errywhere, with aftermarket errythang. Effing expensive too...

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I blame Daryl

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I am sooo intrigued by crossbows. I bird hunt from time to time but went deer hunting for the first time this year. You are 100% correct, lots of crossbows now that they’re legal. It’s crazy, here in Wisconsin you can even use them during archery season. That seems kinda messed up to me, but I’m not very well educated on it so who knows.

I have very little use for one but I have to admit I want one.

14. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Definitely a thought. My wife brings up cross bows anytime I mention getting a bow. They DO look cool. Not really looking to hunt, just something to have fun. Maybe a new challenge. See if I can experience the "mystical flight of the arrow" Uncle Ted talks about.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Crossbows have always been "legal" here in PA but you had to be disabled or a senior. Now that I'm a senior they changed the law so anyone can use them. :mad:. The story of my life. Used to have to work 30 years to max out on vacation time...as soon as I had my 30 in they changed the rules to make it age based. again :mad:. I guess I'm just old (and jealous).

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

That type of shyt pisses me off when going to a range and or gun shop and have to deal with a bunch of attitude from some staff that think they know and have seen it all.
    Their job is to answer the questioned with an unbiased response or at the very least with the least biased response. Don’t need to hear your personal opinions or political views.:rolleyes:

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    wsmc42 likes this.
  18. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

I have zero interest in a compound bow. I just want an affordable entry level single string bow suitable for killing deer. Is that an impossibly tall ask?

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Nope, plenty of recurves to be had, get your shoulder and back in shape, the further you pull the harder it gets. Learning curve is a bit longer too. :D

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Long bows are fun, but so are compounds...the arrow speed with today's compounds is unbelievable.
    Crossbows are more like a rifle. If the "gun" is precise and you do your part, they can be extremely accurate.
    Then there's guys like Byron Ferguson, with a long bow. Any distance, any size target, and he nails it...no sights.

A $500 compound bow package may not be all it's cracked up to be. Basically you're looking at a $370 retail bow.
    My bare $300 Browning Bridger from the early-'90s would be way over that price today and it's nothing to write home about...not to mention it's totally outclassed by anything on the market today.
    You may want to consider other options for that money, worry about accessories after the fact.
    Just sayin'.

Either way, you need to try out a few different brands/models at the range. Shoot each at least a dozen times, you want to get a feel for each one to make a better choice for yourself.

Personally, I like the challenge of a long bow. If I ever get good enough, I still wouldn't hunt with it, tho'.
    My hunting standards are higher than Ted Nugent's and the last thing I want is for my prey to have enough life left in it to run off and, perhaps, never be found...completely irresponsible.

sharkattack, JBraun and wsmc42 like this.