1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14" tire options

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by tittys04, Dec 24, 2018.

1. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Long story, short. I'm swapping wheels on my xr100 to 14" wheels front and rear and want to put something sticky on them. I see all kinds of options in 12", but the only thing I see in 14" are some B stone scooter tires. Is there anything else out there?

Going with 14s because it's the smallest rim I can bolt up to the xr (because drum brakes). 12" would require a lot of work to make work on that bike.

2. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Just by a grom.

Wait, what? Who said that?

3. tittys04

4. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

You can get 12s on a 100 through k&j, I ran them. I also ran 16s with bt45s. No one runs 14s that I know of.

5. tittys04

K&j? Who's that?

6. sharky nrk

https://gatorrimz.com/

I had their 12s on my XR before I blew it up and parted it out. I wish I had not sold them to be honest.

7. tittys04

Shit. This was supposed to be a cheap swap. Now I have to buy a $400 rim and tires. I'm going to have almost as much in this thing as I paid for the bike... Haha

8. sharky nrk

LOL. Cheapest would be to keep it on the 16s (XR80 front) and get BT45s or Mitas and to be honest it is the most practical way to go. But I went almost immediately 1 second faster on a sub minute track the 12s with TT93s vs the 16s with BT45s.

9. tittys04

Yeah, the indoor track I want to ride at wants 12's or smaller. I had them talked into letting me run 14s, but if I can't find good tires it doesn't make sense.

I'll just have to look at it as an investment for the boy when he's old enough... and of course not tell the wifey how much it cost ;)

10. sharky nrk

11. sharky nrk

I do miss that little bike...

12. tittys04

I'm impressed you blew up am xr. Didn't think that was possible.

Why didn't you use an xr70 rear? Could have saved yourself a couple hundred bucks.

13. sharky nrk

I scored a ridiculously good deal on my 12s when I got them. Like way way too good to pass up. And I was running on track with a lot of people that were on 12s on kx65s and kx110s and wanted to try similar tires. If not I would have just kept the 16s f/r and BTs because the worked pretty well.

And you sure can blow one up lol. But they will take a huge amount of abuse before they give up. I had a high comp kit in it, lost the big end rod bearing and the piston and the head enjoyed some not so quality time together. Not sure how many hours of hauling a 200lb adult at 10k rpm it took but it ended up being at least 1 too many.

14. tittys04

Bwahaha.

I would love to do some engine work on this thing, but it's so bullet proof stock that I just can't justify it. I'm not racing it, just jacking around on it.

15. tittys04

Well, I just did it, bought me some 12's from K&J. I nearly have as much as I paid for the entire bike in wheels and tires, but it'll be pretty baller when it's done. Thanks for the help fellas.