1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey tile guys

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

i'm about to start the master BR over christmas...

tub out, shower pan, all tile and slate... nice Grohe controls, glass sliding door... debating on floor heating.

all DYI - YO!

Sweatypants likes this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Use ditra heat if you go the heated floor route.

Riders Discount and Phl218 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

If I skip the schluter pan and go old school, I will get
    The ditra system. You recommend it in the shower pan too?

How much does the mat build up?

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The cost of heated floor on a DIY install are so low there's no way I would put in tile flooring without it.

First install I used something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-T...hash=item3a85ae9513:m:mtje08HbqG6hR5jw2I5an5g

The second install I used this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/120V-Elect...hash=item2ef205e00c:m:mgk17G_Iu54K6vktA4ZnW4w I liked working with it much better than the attached mat setup, and the included backup heat sensor was a nice bonus, but do not like the thermostat that came with it- the Aube is much better. The bathroom used to be heated with a 1500 watt space heater, now the 300 watt heated flooring is all I have in there and it's more comfy (I'm sure it runs more constantly and may or may not cost less overall).

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  5. Tristan

In both cases the cable running from wall to the heated element was the thickest part to cover.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Ditra, NuHeat, or go home...

Phl218, noles19 and BigBird like this.
  7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Never quite understood the heated bathroom floor. All that trouble for the entire 3 minutes a day that you're actually barefoot in your bathroom.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What?

Don't like Easy-Heat and their DOA thermostats? :D

9. Tristan

History has shown that Man will do a lot for 3 minutes of pleasure.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Probably never understood why guys like blowjobs til you gave, umm, got one. :D

beac83 and badmoon692008 like this.
  11. rd400racer

You forgot NTTAWWT:p

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I can't remember off the top of my head, because ditra heat is a little thicker than normal ditra.
    We normally go by the overall height of everything also.
    We've done the bathroom floors plenty of times, but it's rare to do it In the actual shower around here.

13. Tristan

Only took another year for me to get around to tiling the shower stall... was an ugly 3 piece plastic arrangement that constantly had debris falling out of the bottom when bumped. Well, that debris was termite crap. Nothing like digging a trench around the house in near freezing weather to apply termite killer! I'll do another round in the spring. At least there was enough of the framing left to hold up the house...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  14. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Looks great man.

I'm getting ready to do a kitchen back splash with 3" x 12" tile. Right now the wall is drywall with knockdown texture & paint, less than 5 years old. My plan is to sand down the texture just a bit to rough it up and make sure it's level, and then thin set/tile over it.

That is cool, right?

15. Tristan

I'm sure a professional will come along shortly to correct me, but that should work. I can tell you that as in most things, prep is key- so it may be easier to obtain a flat surface to tile by just removing the drywall and replacing with Hardibacker.

16. rd400racer

Don't feel bad. When I did my kitchen remodel a couple of years ago I had multiple studs that looked exactly like yours. Glad that I caught them in time.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Are those lights or candles ?

18. Tristan

The wife was all "go up in the attic and check for more damage". Hell no! I'm not falling thru the ate-up ceiling and having to repair all that shit!

I'd post more detailed pics but I don't need 'Foo pointing out all my code violations and shit.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Tristan

LED "candles". Just there for the photo op, space normally occupied by shampoos and shit. The niche on the back wall is 7" deep, perfect place for your shower drank.

JBall likes this.
  20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was thinking, either way there's a woman in the house, no guy's doing that. :D

BigBird and TurboBlew like this.