1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 North Central thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Dec 18, 2018.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Eddie, Nice write up.

ekraft84 likes this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Eddie is right on the money. I would hope that with more races being scheduled Grattan would look at repaving in the near future. And when was it paved last?

ekraft84 likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

OMG not many know that name:bow:

4. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

1/2 in 2009, finished in 2010. It was great for a couple years.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And that's the way it's been forever. I've been there racing and such since 83. Gratttan has always had a lot of frost heaving and cracked pavement over the years so maybe the boys will repave?

And it took balls to spend the money and start the repave in 09 when shit was so bad.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  6. TwiztedRabbit

TwiztedRabbit Well-Known Member

im with eddie…. I have nothing else constructive to add lol

Ducti89 likes this.
  7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

No preference at Grattan.

8. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Grattan, I like both directions.

T1, CW, has always basically scared the crap out of me. I just see the wall and trees even though I don't look at them at all (too many track walks?)
    T4, CW, I could probably go through there a whole lot faster, but wall, guardrail, pond.

T1, CCW (or however we refer to first turn at the end of the straight) - love rolling into that turn at speed. I was at a track day one time when a guy ran on down the grassy hill. Can't remember if he fell or not, but he was o.k. and back in action later that day.

CCW jump, much more fun than CW, and no issues braking for the turn afterward.

Wet sealer does stink...

Nelson Ledges? It's been a little while, and tires everywhere were a scary distraction, especially where 5Axis crashed onetime (carousel?). I'll try it again. Probably not 3 times in a season though.

9. ton

ton Arf!

Agree with Eddie on all points. Add the following:

never crashed in the sweeper, but way prefer it CCW because of exactly the elements Eddie described. too many places where an imperfect line can go hugely wrong.

did crash coming onto the straight clockwise in the days when there was a big bump right as you want to whack the throttle open. yes, the tankslapper was a technique and suspension problem partially. but i had a big one. still didn't get to the guardrail though. FWIW.

10. HEF211

HEF211 Well-Known Member

Edith for the win

dcemotorsports likes this.
  11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Both directions, so us forced to drive 12 hours because there's no Atlantic coastal region can get some variety in the schedule. :D

JJJerry likes this.
  12. dcemotorsports

dcemotorsports Well-Known Member

Grattan both directions please.

13. PaulRK

PaulRK Member

My vote is for minis at Nelson. The repaved & redone Nelson Ledges is night & day vs. the previous version. Fast, smooth, w/ real curbing & much improved run-off. Grip felt good all the way around, even in the Carousel. Ask the folks that ran track days there this year. Looking forward to the addition of some Airfence.

14. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

If you run Minis at Nelson, I'll bring the YZ85. Not sure if that was intended as a poll question ?
    I will definitely run all 3 rounds at Nelsons (assuming I'm fit to ride), based on my positive experiences there in 2018 during trackdays.
    Thanks for all your work on the NC schedule Sean :beer:

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

With tracks once available for motorcycle racing closing left and right over the years, it's good to hear a few are working together with WERA to continue to be a part of the sport as we know it. I hope it works out well for all involved parties.

16. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Good analysis by Eddie, who has lots of fast laps at Grattan. The fact that this question can even be asked is a sign that the track is really pretty good for run-off. I've seen someone go off in T1 running CCW and they just end up re-entering way, way down the hill. The worst corner CCW is probably T3 because there are occasional high sides exiting the corner, and it's more blind going up the hill than down it. The runoff at the bus stop is a bit tight CCW but I've seen a bike in the trees running the other way from something that really happened in the sweeper.

Beside that, how will anyone get a picture of their low powered slow bike doing a big old wheelie over the jump if we don't run CCW?

Run it both ways. It adds to the challenge.

JJJerry likes this.
  17. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

"T3 because there are occasional high sides exiting the corner" Don't I know it.

Still I have more fun CCW - run it both ways.

jkraft and JBall like this.
  18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

025.jpg
    Shaddup you

JBall likes this.
  19. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

If we do run it both ways, can the first one be CW?

20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I like it both ways, but prefer CCW.