1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I did answer...

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Dang, looking at the post time stamp, we were posting at the same time so I didn't even see yours. Thanks.

Steeltoe likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shit got too serious today and I bowed out. When a rep from H&K and one from Beretta were unloading some cases, I went home.

4. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

So, here's how I see this, in my admittedly limited view of Polymer frames in the Gun world, augmented with info from some people that know. Yes, I'm dunk.

1. Glocks - Plastic forever. Lot's of reported issues in the field, but then again, I think each American owns 2. My experience: I put about 8-9k rounds through a used G19 I bought in 1992. Have to assume it had 1k through it when I got it. Guess what - frame cracked in 2015. Also, 3 mags left in Colorado in an unconditioned garage for 3 years CRUMBLED... turned essentially to broken doritos and a spring. No direct sun, so still hard to explain. The factory Tupperware they were in was fine, though...?? This is my main point about plastic - environment and P# is everything. Still My favorite handgun. (Let's just lump all plastic handguns in this group, since they all basically same.)

2. FN SCAR - Sure, reportedly work great-ish. Guys who love them best get to turn them in to depot when the break. The odd private owner that can shoot one enough to break it gets a free one when he sends it in so nobody bitches about it, but guess what - they seem break a bit faster than metal guns, at only about twice the price.

3. HK36 - Germany quit trying to win wars with their own infantry in the mid 40's, so if they have a gun that goes bang about 200 rounds in a row and it scares the Russians until the Americans/ALCM's get there - mission accomplished.

4. CZ made one good handgun, and 2 good rifles. BRNO steel is the shizzle. BRNO HDPE looks to be sketch.

5. Steyr AUG - see #3 only less Anschluss and more "where's the mag go again?"

9. Israeli's are already turning on the Tavor, seem to be returning to M16 and Galil to spread the word of Yaweh or whoever.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm carrying, I'm likely carrying a plastic 9mm. Plastic guns can be functionally perfect for your practical life, but you won't see any operational 100 year old Glocks, mark my words. Glad I won't have to be around to eat them.

5. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Looks like they were contained before any got into the field. Other than dudes using the stock as a battering ram I've never seen or heard of a Scar failing.

The guys at Battlefield Vegas say they've never had one go down. At least one has 200,000 plus rounds.

7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Ordered a manners eht hunting stock for my ctr. I know the factory stock is fine but I want it to look tacticool and in 6-8 months I’ll probably end up being bored with target shooting and turn it into a hunting rifle when the stock gets here.

May end up chopping the barrel to 20” then and putting my Tbac cb7 on it for ultimate tacticalness. The hogs won’t stand a chance!

8. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Da shizzle fo dizzle . . .:D

The shadow's trigger is something else but I'd still have a hard time justifying not grabbing the 75 first over anything I got. . .and the .300 win mag - even off sticks, it's money. . .

IMG_7583.jpg IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1431.JPG IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2412.JPG IMG_2413.JPG IMG_2928.JPG

triplestrong likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I wondered what happened to them. They were the all the rage and then all of the sudden HK was making M4's.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They didn't shoot straight when the temperature got about something like 85 F and you put rounds through it.

No idea on if this was BS after H&K blamed everyone from the soldiers to the bullet manufacturers they said something to the effect of " the rifle was not designed for sustained, continuous fire."

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Picked up a Keystone .22 LR for the kids to plink with and a M&P .22 for the wife to play with. Should be fun at the farm this weekend.

Now daddy's off to look for a Super Black Eagle or a Cordoba to kill some quackers with...

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You want to buy a first generation SBE? My brother is looking to sell his. Like new, if I am recalling correctly.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Pm me details

14. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Never was a pistol guy until I was forced to get one for 3Gun so my experience is limited to basically 9mm. After recently picking up an STI Marauder for 3 gun I fell in love with the 1911/2011 platform.

Traded a PSA AR pistol for a Kimber 1911 stainless steel model in .45 . Decided to give it to my son as a Christmas present . We went and shot it today and I’m in love . Now I’m on the lookout for a decent 1911 in .45.

What’s out there? It’ll be a shooter not a show piece so I don’t wanna spend mega $$$ but I do want one that’ll run. May try it in some local steel challenge matches and the like.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I just had my Ruger KGP out...6" SS 357 wheel gun. This is the sweetest revolver I've ever used, just not practical for anything but hunting or destroying the target stand. Getting the buzz for a 1911 also, don't know why just want to try something else. All my carry stuff is in 9mm, SIG and S&W.

16. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

As a gunsmith that works on 1911 regularly. This is my personal experience with different brands of 1911. Other may have had different experiences!

Now with that said. If I were to buy a 1911, this would be my breakdown.

Budget
    Rock Island

Some are great and some need work out of the box. However, the initial cost is low and you get what you pay for!

Budget-Mid level
    Sig 1911 (used)

Everyone I've shot does shoot well. But it does have a 80 series trigger. And an external extractor. However the external extractor keeps the price down in the used category. (1911 purest do not consider this to be a true 1911)

Mid-high end
    Dan Wesson

You are getting a gunsmith fit gun but at a production gun price. Every one I've handled is tight. Barrel lockup is good and is locked by lower lugs, not by the barrel link. This is the best overall value.

High end
    Custom build

This will be all gunsmith fit. You can make the design your own. All parts are hand selected for best durability and finish.

I dont have much experience with the Ruger but I have heard good things. Could be in the budget category.

Personally I would absolutely stay away from Springfield and Colt . These are the #1 1911 I work on. They are usually rattle and shoot horrible groups. I'm not sure what is going on here. May be I only get the bad ones, since the ones without problems dont need a gunsmith. However I've worked on too many that just don't shoot.

Same goes for Remington. I've only worked on a couple but it goes in the Colt/Springfield category.

Once again this post isn't to offend or upset anyone. This is also not to get into a debate about. This is just my personal experience.

knutz and blkduc like this.
  17. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Great post! A buddy bought a new Rock Island 1911 and I have been very impressed with that gun for being a budget friendly 1911. I've heard people trash talk them but my guess is they are mostly 1911 snobs.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Rumor has it Glock is about to drop a single stack G19 size pistol as early as next month.

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

January 3rd is supposedly when my local dealer will spill the beans. Seems like a lot of industry folks have already seen or know what both new models are. I have two GSSF coupons to burn. Was thinking a 19.5 MOS and 45 and can just swap slides back and forth but waiting to see what SHOT brings.

20. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member