1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they have quite a reputation.

That scorpion looks like would still run, but I now suddenly think they aren't the bargain they're made out to be. I was under the impression they had a stamped steel insert in that plastic, but looks like it doesn't.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Well, obviously, they should have produced them with 3D printing. We all know that process is strong enough to handle "high-powered" rifle rounds. :rolleyes:
    Frickin' plastic guns. I had them as a kid. They pumped a stream of water about 10'. :D

galloway840 likes this.
  3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Oh come on now. There are plenty of robust, quality polymer guns. Just because this particular one isn’t does not negate the platform.

Or was this just a get of my lawn type deal?

:D

4. fastfreddie

Careful! I just bought a new machete. :D
    (My post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.)

I have never researched polymer guns in depth, like, what are the coefficients of thermal expansion, tensile strength, etc.? If I went there, I'd be comparing the various polymers used to the various metals used in terms of their ability to maintain form, uniform expansion, whatever seems relevant. Seems like a very involved endeavor trying to find answers for what is likely proprietary formulas, not to mention applying those numbers to real world environmental considerations, so I stick with metal...its characteristics are supported by a wealth of empirical data.

A polymer platform is likely every bit as good as metal and may be even better for whatever situation any of us could find ourselves in, but I've yet to shoot a "light" weapon with any degree of accuracy compared to when I shoot a "heavy" weapon.
    It's just personal experience that provokes my partiality. No disrespect. ;)

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

FN Scar works ok.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  6. Scotty87

I’m just pokin at ya.

I only have two poly guns, a Ruger SR22 that has been great for plinking and such, but it’s just a 22lr so expectations of catastrophic failure would be low. However, my Smith Shield 9mm has been as reliable as an axe. I feed it +P rounds frequently since that’s what I carry it with, and it’s good to go. It also handles WWB and other range ammo without malfunction.

7. fastfreddie

Are you sayin' they're light?

Careful! My guns are metal. :D

I have a few handguns but I'm just not that into handguns, in general. I don't "need" to have another one, which could end up being a poly-gun, but there's a lot of 'em out there and I'd want to try as many as possible. It's just not gonna happen...I'd rather spend the time with my long guns.

8. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

FYI, Baltimore County PD just sued FN over defective FNS 40 cals and have immediately transitioned to Glocks. Broken locking blocks, cracked and loose roll pins, and defective strikers. Several AD's with the gun literally resting in a holster. FN is denying liability however, offered to recall the guns for replacement.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Has nothing to do with the Scar working just fine. Which it does.

FYI Glock, S&W, Sig have all been sued by some PD at some time. Seems to go with the territory.

10. fastfreddie

Colt and H&K haven't been sued.
    :D

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Does any Dept use Colt for anything besides rifles? I wonder. Got to be some PD in Texas rocking Colt 1911s.

12. fastfreddie

13. Scotty87

With ya. I only have a few handguns as well, my fav being my 1911. I am feeling like a Glock 10mm would be a nice woods gun, but other than a revolver (since I have never owned one) I don’t see myself buying another handgun.

14. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

has this thread talked about dragon man yet? his facebook page just showed some cool full auto stuff with his daughter(you should see his military collection)

15. fastfreddie

I'm torn between mine and my P7. Two completely different guns couldn't be more similar.
    My Ruger Lite is a toy.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

H&K was close to getting their leiderhosen sued off by the German gooberment but they won the case. Their G36 quickly turned into an inaccurate plastic fantastic turd. :D

It's bad when an AKM is actually more accurate than ANYTHING. :crackup:

17. fastfreddie

I guess we could call the German govt a Police Department. :crackup:

All them racey space lookin' rifles should just get it done already...plasma bursts in the 40MW range.

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I think I remember seeing some custom shop guns posted on IG or FB for some departments. Can't remember specifics though. But the Marines are still issuing the M45A1 to a few units.

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If you want 10mm and a revolver, look at the S&W-610.

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

You still haven't answered, are you hearing of a widespread issue?