1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voting Rights

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Dec 12, 2018.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do the people who don't get to vote thanks to any of y'all's innovative measures get out of paying sales tax?

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I'd be ok with that. Good idea.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm down with age, property ownership and US citizenship as the requisites.
    You pay taxes, you have a vested interest - whether or not you live there, it's one vote.

What about the "rent only" type of citizen? Perhaps an active lease agreement for the current voting year with proof of residency.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Only if they accept zero public funded benefits...no driving, no housing subsidies, no public wifi, yada, yada, yada.

sheepofblue likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's an interesting approach to the "no taxation without representation" ideal.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Lawn Dart likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh... I actually prefer a sales based tax system. EVERYONE pays unless they buy nothing.

crashman and Britt like this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This is what got us to here. When enough of the population will vote for a group of leaders who promise to give them "free" stuff it becomes self sustaining.

After the armed overthrow happens I'm proposing voting will be limited to 18yo and up who have paid income tax in the last year or 2. If you aren't working and paying income tax you don't vote. Maybe if you have 30years in paying taxes you get lifetime exemption. And if your on disability, you can vote, since you can't work.

Quit working to find yourself, you don't get to vote after next year.

Quit to raise kids, you get one year then no more votes.

That way we won't have people voting themselves benefits galore.

9. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Not even close as to what "got us here" and every vote in the history of voting has always been self serving.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

So what did get us here?

11. ton

ton Arf!

uh...

married filing jointly gets one vote or two? (i'm making the assumption we're not eliminating the vote of all the women (and men) who raise kids but don't "work")

single parent raising kids on alimony get a vote?

stk0308 likes this.
  12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

But that will never happen because it would take away the politicians ability to buy votes.

13. ChemGuy

It's a big part. Even with the decline in manufacturing jobs (the historic middle class) we wouldn't have GENERATIONS, not a year or two, but GENERATIONS, receiving welfare, snap, housing whatever you want any to call it.

And at a time when nationally unemployment is at historic lows.

When it's easier to not work, and maybe hustle a side gig, and get enough to get by there are lots of people who will do that. And they will keep voting for the people who keep giving them more 'free' stuff.

I'm sick of paying for it.

If you had to work to vote, a lot less people would keep voting to add more free stuff to people who don't want to work when there are jobs available

14. ChemGuy

up for debate.

Could be a few years exemption, but having kids is not a permanent free voter card.

In my world, the people who take care of themselves and contribute to the society thru work and therefore taxes, get to vote. You dont work, dont pay income tax, you dont get to vote.

But it would never happen, and i know it would never happen. I can dream though......sigh....and try not to look at my year end pay stubs and see that YTD total on income, FICA, Medicare, etc....

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If I'm reading this thread correctly, what's being discussed is actually a "no representation without taxation" system.

I kinda like it.

Every penny you pay in taxes/fees/licenses/etc is a little bit more weight to the votes you cast. The taxes paid by everyone that the business(es) you own employs count a lower weight score toward your vote weight, too. The more you actually CONTRIBUTE to society, the greater voice you have in the management of it. If you're only a leech on the ass of society, you suck your dole & keep your trap shut.

FUCKIN A! I really like it!

I bet blockchain could make that happen.

16. ton

ton Arf!

so much for the importance of the traditional family, i guess. it'd be interesting to see where the churches and republican party stand on that.

stk0308 likes this.
  17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Then I'm certain any sort of qualification based on taxes would also be considered discriminatory, as it would be found to disproportionately affect minorities.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

THE REVOLUTION STARTS HERE BROTHERS! :crackup:

19. ChemGuy

We'll do it like in France.

Except instead of dorky ass yellow vests and barricades, we do it right and use body armor and .223.....

:D

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Waaaah!

Eff that. .50!!!