1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR500- Road Race bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by JTRC51, Aug 31, 2015.

1. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

What glass is that from?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

2. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm no engineer but that swingarm looks way bigger than what the chassis can handle. Might wanna brace that frame.

3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

4. Sweatypants

there's a big engine bracing it in a bunch of places normally? haha

really tho its not that much to it, its just plated. tube stock to make the outline with only like 2 or 3 brace bars in it. was just plated to seal it up and welds grounded smooth. also there's already beefier parts of the frame due to mods to fit that motor. but yea like this:

[​IMG]

but covered. we'll see i guess.

Racingxtc7 and 418 like this.
  5. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Hey Sweatypants,
    What are you doing for an air intake on that beast?

6. Sweatypants

as of right now here's the thinking...

on the 11' frame, the shock support beam gets in the way with this motor of tucking a carb in the normal spot. so i think we're gonna have a plenum do a smooth 90* bend and have the carb facing out the left side and sit right above the front sprocket area. along those lines, i have heard now the Smartcarb works best with a 2-3" straight tube intake before the carb inlet (instead of the normal S-swooped stock intake from the quadzilla). so i'm thinking, angle carb facing slightly forward, intake tube/filter along the inside of the left fairing in front of my leg. then as a last piece of the puzzle, thinking of making a carbon snorkel from the huge front fairing nose inlet, and not making a sealed box, but having a ram-air tube run down the left side of the fairing and point right at the carb.

that's the idea anyways for now. we'll have to see how it all shakes out when the engine is back.

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

Any updates?

8. Sweatypants

On mine? No. I can't even get a call back from the engine builder. He could be dead with all my shit for all i know.

I bought another motor and frame and am starting a 2nd project while i wait caaaaause... what the fuck, right?

9. jcivince

you know it - seems like one can never have enough projects laying around! So what are the parts (frame/motor) on the 2nd one? And follow up to that is why did you choose those? I really like the idea of this but know zero about dirt bikes...

10. Sweatypants

short: RS250 chassis... Vdue motor.

long: i chose them because... the motor is dope as shit (i wanted something multi-cylinder, 2-stroke, dry clutch, 120whp+) and i know its fits well into an RS250 already (there's already a few out there) and i wanted a GP type chassis to go off on the next one and make super light and super bonkers... SBK forks, carbon wheels, carbon body work, GP brembos, AIM telemetry, etc etc the works...

- TZ's are kinda expensive and hard-ish to find. rolling chassis even harder to find, bare chassis and tank stuff command primo prices for 4TW/5KE models.
    - Honda RS250R's are small and i don't think i would really fit on it (5'11", currently like 215lbs., should be like 185lbs.) and also expensive and parts are hard as crap to find. chain on wrong side.
    - I actually found Mika Kallio's 2007 KTM 250GP chassis for sale, but i also feared that would be too small (he is tiny), plus it had no shock, and no information on even what measurements were for things. no setup or geometry info at all, no forks or wheels. it was expensive and i'd be having to one-off almost everything for it, calling Ohlins with my fingers crossed hoping they'd help me or have some past info on file from the team that they'd even share, plus carbon body work that nobody is replicating. i decided against that. Can provide a link if anyone's interested.
    - Considered an ex-Moto2 bike for a sec, but the cheapest ones are often junked up a little OR they take off the really good parts for mid-level parts before they sell (ie. billet Ti brembos for regular M4 or GP-RX brembos, FGR forks for R&T forks, 2D full dash replaced with mini-dash, stuff like that). AND again... body work often hard to replace (some replicas now depending on what you buy) and gas tank would most likely be unusable (underseat where exhausts would be going) which is a shame as such an expensive bespoke piece, engine would be sold for almost nothing (who cares about a CBR600 motor that's been ran hard?). seemed like a bad idea in the end unless i was just going to leave it alone and run it as is.
    - Aprilia RS250 chassis are sized more for a regular person, there's parts and support and a really good community of people everywhere on the net still rocking away with them, parts are still being made and re-made, and new cool stuff gets made all the time to give them some updates.

i was considering diving into a 3 cylinder Banshee motor, 750cc, reverse cylinders, dry clutch conversion, Nova trans, Mattoon cases, outrigger bearing setup for the output shaft to center the motor... and throwing that into an R6. would probably do about 150-160whp pretty easily with just run of the mill typical work that Banshee shops do every day. R6 is probably the easiest chassis to setup and buy stuff for on earth right now. get some YZR500 fairings and the works. seemed like a solid idea for something stupid that would pucker up my butthole a little, but def pricey.

didn't go that route because honestly i just came upon getting a Vdue motor all brand new thru some FB contacts which was way easier than i ever thought it would be and i loved that idea, and that alone decided the rest. the Vtwin will be less vibey for sure, and less weight, has e-start, runs pump gas... one less of everything else too (pipe, carb, crank/piston/rod/cylinder, etc...). i bought enough spares (cylinders, pistons, cranks/rods, gaskets, bearings, heads) to hopefully make this last a good decade at least with regular maintenance and not having to worry. will have my own backup examples if i ever had to have something made and these italian dudes dropped dead one day or fell off the map.

literally just ordered the motor stuff this week, and bought a frame. already have a set of GP brembos in a box. that's it. at the very beginning. so i'll stack parts for this thing for a year, but no engine building needed, so besides tuning the ECU and carbs at the end, its mostly just bolting it all together with a tiny bit of engine mount fab, a few 4-8 week wait items that are regularly produced, and some wiring. means no real waiting on anyone else, no 8+ months on engine builders or waiting on special order trans parts, which means i can just plug along at a steady pace. should be light and quick and mega fun. keep the supersingle for general track day fuckery and not worry about it as much or hurting it, bring this one out from time to time, and enjoy. for the 2nd one, i wanted something with top tier everything that i can keep and enjoy forever, even until i'm an old man. that's the idea and reasoning at least. we'll see how many bumps i encounter, but i'm excited.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Can't wait to see how this turns out. Pics??

12. Sweatypants

i got no pics yet. engine in the mail i think wednesday. frame in the mail. calipers were from a nice gentlemen here a few months back.

here's a similar one though... gonna get these exhausts i think, and/or maybe eventually have them copied in titanium:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looking into either some used FGR forks, or these guys here (depending on the price they eek out at):

[​IMG]

this tank/monocoque:

[​IMG]

RSW250 swingarm cover replica

[​IMG]

shrug???? haha

13. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

im cool w this

Sweatypants likes this.
  14. Sweatypants

Zilla motor still not back. So instead... some project #2 stuff has started to arrive tho...

37853790_10102276361674903_7889513829334253568_o.jpg

Forks are being made as we speak. Might have a line on mounts AND an intake manifold AND a set of exhausts that are already made for this project, should find out soon... which would mean literally just have the fab shop weld stuff that is already tailor made for this swap. That would be glorious and save a ton of work. Carbon airbox and swingarm cover from the same dude. Seat/tank and fairings supposed to be starting to be made soon from another dude. Dual pass radiator being made.

After the forks get here... then time to order custom triples from Attack, and wheels from BST... after wheels get here, time to send the swingarm off to Harris for them to wizard up a quick change modded rear. After that stuff... big order for the rest of the Brembo parts, steering damper, rearsets, controls, AIM dash stuff... then it should be about time to start welding, wiring, and assembling. Track down a few OEM type things... throttle splitter/TPS, Yamaha PV servo, shock linkage, some random bolts. I got a nice plan laid out.

Shock is an R1M TTX... swapped to a clevis on the bottom, machined spacers at the top, revalved/sprung for RS250 weight/leverage ratio. Quick call to an awesome dude at Ohlins USA and he had me all taken care of since they don't actually make a TTX for an RS250. Guy who helped me even has an RS250 with an SVX swap that he had been racing for years, super cool. Now the upper expansion chamber will have plenty of room to avoid the shock reservoir... all things are well. Might end up trying to get a one-off CNC shock linkage/dog bones made here at some point. That's it for now.

Oh... and there's zero info on the web for Vdue stuff besides a half-assed forum that hardly gets posted in, and then talking to a few awesome old italian guys from Italy with Google Translate. I have no idea which Brembo clutch master to get for this thing (16x16, 16x18, 19x18) and I have no idea what the stock sprocket ratio is cause zero articles list that info for some reason. Besides that, coming along...

freedomgli likes this.
  15. jcivince

Any updates on Project #1 (Zilla motor) or Project #2 (VDue motor)?

16. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

i know he is having kooso make him a good amount of parts, and richard (same guy who made my bodywork) make his bodywork as well, so parts are still coming in.

jerry hall still hasn't completed his motor yet though, what a complete bastard pain in the ass moron

50Joe likes this.
  17. Sweatypants

Kooso said airbox, exhausts, mounts by end of Dec. We'll see if that holds. Ceracarbon was supposed to have the forks in Oct. Anodizing on the bottoms had a blemish and had to be redone, following up with them this week to see what's up. Richard is like halfway there on tank/fairings.

Ordered a shitload of stuff from TJ that came in. TJ never disappoints. BST fucked up my wheels and didn't color coat them. Had to be sent back to South Africa to get redone. Ordered a shitload of OEM stuff from ebay, Aprilia Superstore, and a dude parting bikes in Italy. Once the wheels are here gonna send the swingarm to Harris. Once the forks are here gonna order triples from Attack. Once Kooso stuff is here gonna mod the frame and weld up the mounts. After that sequence of events, should be ready for assembly to begin. Oh and me and Matt have to get custom linkage and dogbones made (well we don't have to, but we are... right now can't fit the telemetry back there yet).

Hall has had my motor 12 months now. Simply cannot get him to return a single email or voicemail. For all I know he could be dead. Only reason i know he's not is because dudes on the Zilla Group say so that actually know him. I'll bite my tongue.

More stuff:

45344839_10102379330469613_7642167616240353280_n.jpg 45408425_10102379330524503_4179028686818770944_n.jpg 45285164_10102379330559433_5697384881055596544_n.jpg 45340041_10102379330599353_2511355540764884992_n.jpg 45364199_10102379331277993_5319089521743101952_n.jpg 45342239_10102379331327893_6697360452768235520_n.jpg 45285493_10102379331362823_3165168349126590464_n.jpg 45355426_10102379331397753_53404452287152128_n.jpg 45325087_10102379331432683_4241669341721919488_n.jpg 45325087_10102379536027673_645559178298916864_o.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Racingxtc7 and freedomgli like this.
  18. Sweatypants

19. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

Dude! This project is awesome! You should start a new build thread so they don't get lost in the mix. Your Aprilia RS250/ Bimota V Due engine bike is going to be epic!

Sweatypants and VFR#52 like this.
  20. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

I first saw those forks on the BOTT Pikes Peak machine. They're so cool! I love trick race hardware like this so much.

https://bottpower.com/pikes-peak-project/

Sweatypants likes this.