1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting over

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Dec 12, 2018.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm counting the days until my house is paid off (less than 2 yrs).......I wanna be like MH....'cept with health insurance somehow. :)

Then I'm gonna buy a van......and live "you know where"....according to my wife anyway, if I buy a van. :)

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My wife's tennis coach is also mine, and he's a great coach.

I'm just curious...do you get a reduced rate on lessons if the wife is banging the coach? Asking for a friend.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You ought to pay him extra for taking on extra chores.....Then again, maybe he can teach her new tricks...win, win!

Regarding debt reduction...it is the key to true financial freedom. It took me many years (decades actually) to figure this out. I'm on a cash only basis now. I don't have the ability to buy a Ferarri, but then again, I never wanted one. I did lust after a brand new liter bike with all the trimmings...no problemo. The truth is I still can't spend my income so savings are still growing. Having beer tastes instead of champagne tastes is another key.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I like your thinking:beer:

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

:crackup:At some point you realize, its just sex, and the cost savings are worth it!

Fencer and rd400racer like this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'll agree on the part about the tax penalty for cashing out retirement, the rest- not a chance. Nothing dungeon-y about it- suggesting a 50+ year old man take on a 30 year mortgage for any reason is a hard sell to me.
    I've got less that 3 years left on my mortgage, and only was able to reap any tax benefit the first couple years. The wife is hot to get into a bigger house. I'd love to, but I'd love being debt free a whole lot more.
    Bagging on MH is easy (and fun), but I'm frankly a bit jealous of his current situation.

iagsxr, BigBird and scottn like this.
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My home mortgage rate is currently 2.9%. My retirement funds usually are making much more than that. So I'm putting my money where it pays most.

beac83 likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Same

9. eggfooyoung

You want to be single, and away from Sara?

I get it.

jrsamples likes this.
  10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Paid off my house this year, paid off our company building and 150 acres of land, paid off our last piece of equipment too. All this done in the same year that we lost over $250k in the May flood. Not sure how all that actually happened in the same year.

Ought to be on cloud nine, but it just feels like stuff.

All I think about anymore is riding/camping in Utah and living out of a tent. (Sorry @brex) :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MH, you and @SpeedyE ought to pool your expertise and start building guns. Something completely new and innovative. You could call it SPEEDYHEAD. And your slogan could be, "Have you had your Speedyhead today?" Or, "You can never get too much Speedyhead".

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Or you and he could just start a new pizza outfit and give BJ's with any large supreme.

KneeDragger_c69 and renegade17 like this.
  12. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

down by the river???

13. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

MH,
    Bring me a large pepperoni with mushrooms and tomatoes. Hurry up I don't want to get it when it is cold.

I will retire in less than 2 years with our retirement home paid off and with good insurance coverage. We have our retirement, social security and whatever we pull out of our annuities (I plan on taking out 5%, since we are getting a better average return so it will still grow, just slower). I don't really know that we can spend our fixed income on a regular basis, so I guess our savings will continue to grow.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You should have done this or you should have done that or this that and the other thing.

No, he should have done whatever the f@ck he wanted to do. Hey, if he had cashed out and gone to Vegas and banged hookers professionally until his dick filed a complaint with equal opportunity commission over working conditions and over work it'd have been as much my problem and place to say as him buying a house for cash.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Good man Richie. Nothing sucks worse than owing someone money...

Life is far better not owning a thing....

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Kidz goin to kolege ain't as kool as pizza delivery :D

18. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Meh. If the kids want to go they can figure out their own way. If they can't be bothered to figure it out on their own, why should they go?

Metalhead likes this.
  19. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Yikes. Ok

20. eggfooyoung

I'm torn on this. Part of me agrees with you, completely, but a part of me says they should have some skin in the game also. I say that, because I know exactly how it feels to have zero parental financial assistance, and know how much further along I would be, had I had it. On the other hand, perhaps I wouldn't have the work ethic, and resolve that I do, had it been given to me. Who knows? Yeah, we have funds in place for them, but I'm not sure we'll be giving all of it to them for college.