1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to unpolish a polished frame?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamageezer, Dec 12, 2018.

1. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

So presuming an alloy frame gets polished just enough where the welds didn't get sanded down and the frame is still usable, what choices do I have to make it look stock again? Scotchbrite and clear it? Blast with walnut shells and clear anodize? Powder coat it silver or black? Leave it?

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'd blast it....that should be the most consistent.

The polish is more you tho Middleton.:)

Andy Lauder likes this.
  3. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

All of what you mentioned will work...just depends on what you want for a final finish.

4. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

while you on subject can anyone tell me how to strip a 86 VFR750 frame and then restore it to factory looking?
    im planning on putting it back together and want to make it look factory fresh on frame and swingarm.
    Thanks
    Steven

5. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Red scotchbrite pad and a lot of WD40 the wipe clean with alcohol. It produces a beautiful finish that is very close to stock. Been doing that method for years. Try it you will not be disappointed

Killswitch, yamageezer and VFR#52 like this.
  6. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Do you then put any kind of clear coat on it or leave as is?

7. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

I just leave it as is

jksoft likes this.
  8. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

If paint works for what look you want, I've painted a polished frame with no problems. Just clean off all the Polish residue really well (acetone).

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. CharlieY

Polish dat beeetch even more...mirror.....stretch that swingarm out....THEN take that thing racin!!!!

Thats more your style Middleton!.....you do that and Ill bring the HD! :)

K51000 likes this.
  10. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

OP- leave it alone

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  11. CharlieY

Dont be skeeert Middleton.:)

12. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I hear running through a gravel trap on its side takes the polish off pretty well...

Andy Lauder, yamageezer and Phl218 like this.
  13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Barber Turn 2-3 is awesome for this!!'''

Works on Powder Coat Too!!!!

Don't ask me how I know....

Phl218 likes this.
  14. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I restored a ZX6R frame (no polish) and I just sanded the entire frame and swingarm, epoxy primed then painted a base color
    matched as close as possible to original and then cleared with a clear with flattening agent mixed so that it wasnt 100% gloss.

VFR#52 likes this.
  15. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Last partial pic of the frame shows how much the clears gloss was cut once dried. I was not after that much
    loss of clear but customer was very pleased. Personally I prefer 100% gloss similar to the third pic. That was
    taken right after the last coat was applied.

Attached Files:

yamageezer likes this.
  16. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

17. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

3m Softbank sanding pad, 1st in superfine, then ultrafine grits. Dry sand only, blow out dust from pad often with compressed air. It will look like a factory brushed finish.

yamageezer likes this.