1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting over

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Dec 12, 2018.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I dunno about you, but I aint racing with no health insurance.

Dave K was onto something there with the Airgas etc.....

Hey, have you looked into any Welding Education options in your area? There are a couple here that could use a guy like you........Are you a member of the American Welding Society in Greenville?

You would be considered a "Poster Child".....I'll let that sink in for a minute (for everyone).......for young and up and coming welders.....you did it man, and did it well from what I've seen sir.

rd400racer likes this.
  2. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Haha, I didn't think of it that way.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Life is so much easier when all you have to do is manage your own performance. :)

BigBird and Paige like this.
  4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I’m just curious, because I can’t wrap my head around this.

Wouldn’t you have been far better off financially to take out a mortgage, write off the interest, and keep your retirement plan paying you annuities and making money?

YamRZ350 and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

For many years delivering pizza was the job I would pick up everytime I moved to a new area. To this day I am still shocked I never got robbed, particularly when I was delivering to some pretty sketchy areas in downtown Orlando. When I delivered to the Navy base to people I knew, I would stop and pick up beer and cigs and deliver along with the pizza order.

Pretty much all of the pizza and wings I could eat, low stress, was out driving around most of the time, and tips were actually pretty good. I think about it every once in a while when I see a Help Wanted sign in the window but it wouldn't really make financial right now.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's gonna get interesting the first time your ex-wife gives you a tip.

7. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

You should find a pizza place that has their own cars and practice your mad drifting skillz, yo.

9. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yeah, but do you want to be the man or the woman in this scenario?

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I delivered pizzas when I was in college. Not a bad gig, tips were poor as it was a college town. Boss was a prick and charged us $1 a day for "supper" when we worked over the dinner time. We got even though, He'd go home in the evening and we would make extras hoagies, pizza and stuff. When we closed at 11:00pm all the unsold stuff had to be thrown out....the boys in my frat ate good!

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

My prediction is you will get bored after 6 months and move on to something more challenging. Either way good luck.

12. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

More sense? Yes. More complicated? Yes. Simplifying is the desired goal though.

5axis likes this.
  13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I've worked in Welding Supply in high school during the summers. Many of the guys that come in wouldn't be mistaken for "chatty". You do meet some interesting cats, though.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

RiTchie, keep an eye out for the orders with extra anchovies!

scottn likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its part of his devious plan to distribute pineapple laden pizzas...yeeeech

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I don’t know man, how much more difficult is it write one check a month, look at one direct deposit a month, and enter one more line on your 1040?

To me having some financial freedom and not having to hustle for utilities money would be much more simple. But it ain't my life, I was seriously just curious if there was another reason or something since it pretty much goes against everything I've ever heard regarding retirement planning.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I cringed when I read "cashed in my retirement", but it could make sense if his $$ wasn't making much more interest than he would have paid in mortgage interest. Not everyone can use the deduction either- the std. deduction is higher for me than itemizing. There's also the satisfaction of "bird in hand" with a paid-off house vs. a retirement fund that could go up, down, or away completely on the whims of the economy and the Gov't.

5axis and zertrider like this.
  18. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

good luck, im 45 and life through me a curve ball last week being let go of my job. Right now im sitting tight looking for something but i dont want to just take anything. I was ready to buy a track bike then this happen, think i will buy it anyway. At 45 i seem to be going backwards lol, cars to bikes.

BigBird likes this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

He'll be having a good time come April.

20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

And have to go in and apply for a mortgage. Forgot about that one. Then have to be sure to never forget to make the payment (applies if he decides to hit the road touring). Then, in 5 years have to renegotiate it when the term is up............