1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the days of selling exhaust and tuning bike engines coming to an end?

Discussion in 'General' started by ruckusracing, Dec 7, 2018.

1. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

First off, if this is too risque for "General", please delete or move....but I thought where to post and hope it is ok.

I didn't know until I spent some time with Skip at Orient Express this week that the EPA had given some huge fines to Yosh ($225,000), DynoJet ($1,000,000), and others for exhaust systems and engine management systems. Also, I did a search on General and the Dungeon, but did not see anything.
    It looks like they went after a lot of the diesel truck aftermarket companies and some bike companies got caught in the net as well?
    Are we going to see businesses, bike shops/dealers, stop selling those products and stop tuning bikes?

What about true "closed course" bikes? Will there be permits required (like California requires for dirt bikes)?

What impact on racing will this have? Yosh and such move to other areas of the bike, like chassis and suspension?

I'm just a tad bummed about it all, cause I'm a gear head and I loved the idea of home built hot rods...
    Bikes and cars alike.

Am I being ridiculous thinking about this stuff?

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/2018-clean-air-act-vehicle-and-engine-enforcement-case-resolutions

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/dynojet.htm

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

They’re definitely coming to an end. Probably not in our lifetime, but someday.

As much as I love the smell of VP and the song of an internal combustion engine, it has to end. There is a finite amount of petroleum and an infinite amount of solar energy. We get around this earth by converting resources into horsepower, so do the math.

The fact that it gets turned into a political or ideological debate is proof of how stupid and emotional we all are.

*edit: No comment on the EPA. That actually will go straight to the dungeon. :D

rcvxl24, cartmen34 and Phl218 like this.
  3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, the Dynojet deal was back in 2007, and is why there are Cali legal versions of their product that have limited functionality. Looking at Yosh, again this dates back to 2008, and the agreement is that Yosh change it's marketing of their exhaust. I don't think we're quite at doom and gloom yet.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

VW has said the next gen of IC engines are their last, so we'll see where this all goes.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Suzuki announced the cease of production on the Hayabua due to Euro4 emission standards. Seems the days are numbered for ICE.

6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

No, we certainly aren't at the end of days. Plenty of full systems that cost as much as a decent older used sportbike out there for you to choose from. In cali perhaps, but who cares about cali? Heck here in AZ we just removed emissions testing for motorcycles after decades of checking them.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Harley got brought to the table 5 years ago on or so for their ECU flash tuners and ems stuff. Forget what the fines were but iorc it’s was over $million.

8. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

The EPA deal was about selling and installing “for off-road use only” on street bikes.

Like you can sell “for off road use only” parts, just don’t install it on a bike the guy rode to your shop and rides away on. That’s what that was about.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Easy. Have the customer tighten the last bolt. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I know KTM and Husky will not unlock the ECU so you can tune the bikes. This is for the street legal bikes. You used to be able to ride to the KTM/Husky delar and pay them 1 hour labor and have them unlock the ECU and install the "akro map" and be good to go if you were running an aftermarket full system. Then if you wanted to tune it perfectly by taking it to a shop and having it dynoed then could get into the ecu as the dealer unlocked it. Those days are gone. Now you need a piggy back ful tuner to do that now.