1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting a bike in Switzerland return in Italy

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Dec 6, 2018.

1. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

My wife is going on trip late next spring with a choir and they will be start in Zurich and end up in Venice 10 days later. I didn’t any urge to go with them but it occurred to me she could be my Sherpa and carry my luggage from place to place and I could ride the Alps. So can you rent a bike at one spot and return it 2 countries over.
    Thanks

BigBird likes this.
  2. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Don’t speed in Switzerland . ( 44 teeth)

rafa, Prospect, Steeltoe and 3 others like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Very tricky.

The best place i have found for rentals is in Ischgl, Austria. But they only rent daily.
    https://www.highbike-paznaun.com/englisch/

Bike selection and gear to rent is like nothing else!!!

Anything in Switzerland is going to be $$$! One way? $$$$$$ Europe is crazy when it comes to that.

Those guys are 1 h west of Zürich and do longer term rentals:
    https://www.moto-mader.ch/miete

Prolly best to shoot them an email.

Lemme know if i can help

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

That x 1000000!

I got a $75 ticket dor doing 48 in a 50! No joke. Motorcycle passed me doing 51, they got my tag, $7frikkin5 for 1 over that i didn’t even do!!!

20 over is like winning the lottery (for them)

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Does BMW manufacture US market bikes in Der Fatherland? Can you buy one, take delivery there, use it for 10 days, have it shipped here, then sell it? It might be less expensive in the long run.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

@motion to the courtesy phone.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I highly doubt you can find a one way rental. I've never considered renting in Europe because the costs are too high, so I'm not 100% sure about this.

When you say late spring, I hope you mean late May. Most of the Alps passes will be closed before that, and you'll miss out on a lot of the Alps.

The great think about riding a bike is that you're mostly immune to the front-facing speed cameras everywhere. When I've rented cars in Europe, I get speeding ticket dings on my credit card for 6 months after every trip. Haven't had one on the bike I keep in Europe :)

Venice to Zurich is only a 6 hour ride, so just rent somewhere then take a quick flight to meet your wife after you drop off the bike.

Make sure you research which countries require vignettes for motorcycles. Switzerland does for sure.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

The moto-mader fellas will know some engrish.

Rent there, return there, then take a train or a ride share (Mitfahrgelegenheit) to bella Italia

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Damn. They make you do a sketch before you can ride a bike in Switzerland? Thats rough. Do they prefer comedy or drama?

Steeltoe and BSA43 like this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Switzerland has some of the nicest roads in the world $$$

The Ofenpass and the swiss side down the stelvio are a must!
    Also the San Bernadino pass ( above the tunnel) , then the race down on the italian side

Oh the memories

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rent a round trip bike. They will steal it in Italy anyways. Get the insurance.

The roads are great in Switzerland but it's a racket there. People mentioned the speeding fines there and they are not joking. 2 KMH over will get you a fine and there are speeding cameras every 20 meters.

Zurich kicks ass but is expensive. Where you staying when you get there?

12. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

I did a bunch of research on this a couple years back. Came to the conclusion that it was best to buy one, do a complete European trip, and sell it when my trip was over.

I have all my research bookmarked in a diff phone, but if memory serves, there’s a group of people in Ireland that helps with everything.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's what I did, but I don't think its a good strategy for a 10 day trip.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

100% with you on that!

15. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Lots of good ideas, the wife is off to watch Hamilton so I don’t have her itinerary. I was just looking at a site for rental in Milan. A Ducati v4 only cost 100 euros more than a Multistrada for a week. That would be a little much. Thanks for the ideas

Phl218 likes this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

FWIW, a Multistrada is 100x better bike than a V4 to ride in Italy in 99% of riding situations :)

cha0s#242 and Phl218 like this.
  17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I just went to Switzerland for 2 weeks in October and drove everywhere. I did not know they were so strict about speeding. I wonder how many tickets will be showing up in my mail before the end of the year? Does it take while for them to send the tickets out?

18. If you were driving a rental car, you probably won’t get them directly. They will be sent to the rental company, and the rental company will charge your credit card.

19. Rent in a non-EU country and return in an EU country?

Not going to happen.

20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Fly to Italy and rent a bike. Ride it to Zurich or wherever for your 10 day trip and return it where you rented it when you leave. It just means you get an extra 6 hour ride when you first get there, knowing that your gear will all be nicely put away in your hotel when you get there.

G2G likes this.